Home Forums General Conventions and Shows When wargames shows start again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    willz
    Participant

A bit of a long shot, I know there is a bit of pot luck and guess work here but what wargame shows do you hope to attend this year.  My hope that June / July we may be able to visit shows or shops.

Image that being able to meet up and discuss about wargame eye candy in person and not via Zoom, I think I would be willing to travel a few hundred miles for a show and how busy will the first few shows be.  Think of all that pent up wargaming, for over a year now we have been stuck with our own company.

Does that mean we have lots of loot to spend at the shows (some of my monies have gone on home delivered red wine) as we have all been good and saved or monies.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I hope to be able to safely attend Colours in September, assuming it still goes ahead. I doubt I’ll spend anymore than normal, as I’m slowly reducing my lead mountain and off loading rules that will never be played etc. However really looking forward to the social side of the show as well as demo games etc. Fingers crossed all will be well.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I would really like to go to Millennium Con in Texas in November, but will not be attending. I am worried that even if vaccinated, as I will be, about the chance of bringing covid home to my unvaccinated toddler, who’s too young for any approved covid vaccines at the moment. That’s a risk I have to take for work and groceries, but a risk I can choose to avoid for other things. So I’ll be waiting another year, until larger pools of folks are vaccinated and we get more data on how much vaccinated folks can still carry and transmit the virus.

As an aside, Millennium Con, held each year in Round Rock, TX (northern suburb of Austin, Texas) is a great convention. Plenty of vendors, lots of cool games. It’s very well run, too. That part of Texas is lovely, as well, with plenty of cosmopolitan activities in Austin and the beautiful Texas Hill Country nearby.

Mike Headden
    Participant

I don’t see me attending shows before Spring 2022 at the moment. I’ll see how things go.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

No shows this year even if they are available.  Not sure if it’s an ‘English’ thing but a lot of the shows remind me of rugby scrums with less personal hygiene on a good day so the thought of post COVID crowds for a short game or two put me off.

My lead pile is still too high and the odd gaps in things I’m pottering with are well covered by U.K. suppliers at the moment – Brexit has impacted my imports 100% so I’ll let things settle post carrier issues and EU VAT changes before PayPal goes across the water.

irishserb
    Participant

I’m just going to wait until next year.

MartinR
    Participant

Fingers crossed for COW and Partisan. Once we have all been vaccinated, what’s the problem?

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Mike Headden
    Participant

Fingers crossed for COW and Partisan. Once we have all been vaccinated, what’s the problem?

Apart from the fact that vaccination makes you less likely to catch covid-19 and less likely to die, rather than providing complete protection? That plus no one being entirely sure if you can transmit even if you are not affected thanks to the vaccine makes me wary.

Once we are ALL vaccinated (for a certain value of all 🙂  ) I’ll go back to visiting shows. Just not expecting that to happen this year, on current showing.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Thuseld
    Participant

This is tough. I am so sick of the current restrictions (UK) that I would love to attend Colours in September. However, it does seem to be an unnecessary risk, even if life has returned to “normal” (which I think our government might force through). We don’t know enough about the vaccines and stuff. I am looking forward to playing in person with people, which I will try and do, but conventions might be given a miss for a while longer.

Tony Hughes
    Participant

I don’t know which UK shows up here in the north will be on this year. Planning often has to be a year ahead so, even if the situation has changed to make them safe enough to attend by July, I doubt that arrangements could have be done far enough in advance with the information that was available then.

I’d like to go to Joy of Six in July but I’m fairly sure that is off, next would be our local Phalanx show but, again I think that is already cancelled so Fiasco in Leeds in October is possibly my first realistic possibility. I am really hoping that York will be on again in 2022 – we do a long weekend break there and a good time is had by all.

I miss shows far more for the social contact than the opportunities for buying yet more stuff but I’m not going to be risking my already damaged health if it isn’t a great deal safer that it is at present. Vaccination will help a good deal but, as we have seen, unexpected factors can screw up plans and wargamers are not all that co-operative in crowded places – I can’t imagine York with a 2m rule or being able to rely on all gamers at the show sticking to mask wearing.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

My wife and I just got fully vaxxed up, and I feel somewhat optimistic about 2021. I intend to rejoin the local club gaming scene, which never entirely shut down, in April. Two regional cons are now scheduled for October, Cincycon and Advance The Colors. I hope to attend both.

The lockdown has been no obstacle to spending money on the hobby. There has been plenty of opportunity to look at and order toys I don’t really need. But I miss wargaming a lot. I’m working up some mojo to GM. Did I say I feel somewhat optimistic? Yeah.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

irishserb
    Participant

MartinR,  Over here, the problem for me is that so many claim that they are not getting the vaccine.  I just need to see how things settle out.

willz
    Participant

This allows me to launch my individual 2mtr hamster bubble with self contained air, ideal for visits to wargame shows

deephorse
    Participant

Once we have all been vaccinated, what’s the problem?

Oh dear.  I hope that this is an attempt at humour Martin.  There is plenty of factual evidence from reliable sources out there that means that I don’t have to set out the case for remaining careful here.  “Covid will be with us for the indefinite future” said a Government scientist just the other day.  Masks and social distancing will continue to be sensible precautions for as far head as I can presently see.  As someone above pointed out, you can’t remain 12″ from other people at York, let alone 2m.  I have no desire to catch the Vapnartak variant any time soon.

Trust science, not the scientists.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘When wargames shows start again.’ is closed to new replies.