Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming When you fly the Apache, everybody dies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Well, it’s finally here the AH-64D Apache Longbow. Possibly the most anticipated aircraft for DCS yet.  Several former Apache pilots have been very involved in the making of this. Including one of them lending his voice to the AI George.

This is the very first release of the Apache, so some features are missing like the fire system radar, so Hellfires must be fired with laser. And so far you do not have Stinger missiles or the laser-guided APKWS rockets. But you do have the ability to have up to 76 hydra rockets or 16 Hellfire missiles or a mix of the two as you please. And of course the super cool 30mm M230 chain gun, with 300 rounds, later once you can choose to remove the extra fuel tank, you can have up to 1200 rounds.  This is a ca. 2007 era Apache I think, so quite high tech.
    The Geroge AI can either be a pilot of CP/G (gunner) you are able to order him to do various things. Hover, adjust the height, speed, truing, etc, if he controls the pilot, or scanning and locking up targets and fire if he is the gunner, you can also let him control say the cannon while you as a pilot take on the rockets or switch.

Here I’m flying my first mission I made, this is my second attempt as, during my first, I just couldn’t get George to fire the Hellfires. This time I got him to fire them, and we took out a few ACPs, then I tried to get him to fire those rockets, but he didn’t want to, so I went in close with the cannon, took some fire, but got a truck and infantry. Before I covered the entire compound with rockets. My first landing was a bit iffy, I think I landed on a small bump that tipped my chopper.

Participant

I recently saw ‘Apache Warrior’, a 2017 documentary of a squadron sized mission deep into Iraq in 2003.  It used voice and video recordings from the aircraft that took part, as well as interviews with some of the crews.   To say that it was fascinating would be an understatement. If you get a chance to watch it then please do so.  Life is not a video game.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Found it, and I’m watching it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.