Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Which battle would be good for newbies?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Title says it all really, which Napoleonic battle do you think would be a good one for a bunch of new players to wargame. I mean players that are interested in military history and have played strategy games but are completely new to wargaming (expect for one or two experienced leading players).

Suggestions can be an historical battle or not, a big battle or a small one, battalion sized units or bigger, its completely up to you. Just take it for granted that the players have all the units available for every nation to allow them to fight any Napoleonic game that you think would be good. The only stipulation is that the game has to be suitable for approximately 6 players (i.e. 1 overall commander and 2 underlings per side, or some other similar sort of arrangement), so there has to be enough units and roles for multiple players.

My own suggestion is Aspern-Essling; its a big colourful affair with two great-looking armies and Napoleon is personally present, plus its entertaining and challenging for both sides, buts its not too big and you can assign relatively straightforward tasks to the new players, i.e. “hold the town at all costs” or “take the town”

Cheers

Participant

I have a natural love of the Peninsular War. Salamance and Vittoria both fit the bill. Plenty of troops to command, interesting tactical situations, easy to assign objectives to subordinate forces.

Participant

P.S. Plus they have limited cavalry, which always seems to be the hardest for noobs to know what to do with. Too many want to charge turn 1 without wearing down the enemy first…

Participant

If you want a fairly balanced affair, then Maida, Albuera, or Quatre Bras would fit the bill.

We’ve found those last two always give great games.

Participant

For new players I’d stay away from Apsern-Essling, it setup to be so terribly one-sided. Whoever is playing French won’t feel good about their odds…

That said, if it was a mixed game between veteran players and new players, I’d say it is a great choice. Put the veteran players on the French side and then have all the inexperienced new guys get to attack with the hordes of Austrians. Considering Lannes and Massena split the defense it is a fairly historical way to go about it but mostly I’m thinking it will be a fun game for the new guys.

Participant

If I have some real noobs I often create a fictional game (regardless of genre/period) where they control both a lost cause (isolated force) and the rescue mission that starts on turn 3. Thus they get 2 or 3 turns to learn the rules with the lost cause, where fatal mistakes won’t completely screw up the game. Then they get another chance with their reinforcements.

Participant

With Napoleonics you really need to start with smallish armies and let the players grow into the marshallate

Participant

Barrosa. Small battle, which is always good for an introductory battle. And a bit of everything so you don’t get any preconceptions – Brits attacking, French defending, French force marching reinforcements, so enough of a C2 condundrum to get players to appreciate both the Tactical and Strategic level of thought and play. And if you have a whole afternoon or evening you would probably even have time to run it a second time with the players changing sides.

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/2011_03_01_archive.html

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.