Home Forums WWII Who do you think you are kidding? A solo scenario.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jim Webster
    Participant

Here you are, Dad’s army in action. I wanted to do things differently, and there are plenty of scenarios for British Commandoes landing in Occupied Europe. So here you get a small German force inadvertently landing in Britain

Who do you think you are kidding? A solo scenario.

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Tony S
    Participant

I’m afraid I spotted an error in your solo scenario.

As in… scenario!?  That’s an solo mini campaign.  You don’t do things by halves Jim.   Well done!  You’ve put a ton of detail and ideas there.

Just to add to your suggestions for 15mm figures, if you like a larger scale, I’d suggest the 28mm Home Guard range from the Foundry that the Perry’s did years ago.   Lots of characters that may or may not resemble an old TV show.

Fred B
    Participant

Well – this is awesome!

I really enjoyed reading through this scenario and it made me finally pick up a copy of Hell & Uncivil disorder! As someone relatively new to wargames AND before recent months was only aware of GW style tournament play this kind of play is exactly what I was after. Here I was, trying to find ways to blend (well, duct tape more like it) solo rpgs with solo wargames and there are wargamers who have been playing like this already 🙂 I am definitely planning on using this scenario in my solo imagi-nation campaign.

Also, love the procedure of making a “window” for the map. Although, I am not sure where I could get maps from, and would welcome recommendations. I would prefer maps I could print out myself, but I am also happy to buy an atlas if needed 🙂

Finally, thank you for recommending miniatures to use. I never really investigated Peter Pigs WW2 offerings, but there are some great niche models in there. Might need to make an order soon and hope I can across the pond before the Christmas slow downs will kick in.

Jim Webster
    Participant

I’m afraid I spotted an error in your solo scenario. As in… scenario!? That’s an solo mini campaign. You don’t do things by halves Jim. Well done! You’ve put a ton of detail and ideas there. Just to add to your suggestions for 15mm figures, if you like a larger scale, I’d suggest the 28mm Home Guard range from the Foundry that the Perry’s did years ago. Lots of characters that may or may not resemble an old TV show.

Yes the 28mm range is there, I wasn’t sure people could still find it. There is this

Dad's Army Home Guard Platoon

I suspect you could probably make quite a project of it, especially converting your Germans 🙂

Jim Webster
    Participant

Well – this is awesome! I really enjoyed reading through this scenario and it made me finally pick up a copy of Hell & Uncivil disorder! As someone relatively new to wargames AND before recent months was only aware of GW style tournament play this kind of play is exactly what I was after. Here I was, trying to find ways to blend (well, duct tape more like it) solo rpgs with solo wargames and there are wargamers who have been playing like this already 🙂 I am definitely planning on using this scenario in my solo imagi-nation campaign. Also, love the procedure of making a “window” for the map. Although, I am not sure where I could get maps from, and would welcome recommendations. I would prefer maps I could print out myself, but I am also happy to buy an atlas if needed 🙂 Finally, thank you for recommending miniatures to use. I never really investigated Peter Pigs WW2 offerings, but there are some great niche models in there. Might need to make an order soon and hope I can across the pond before the Christmas slow downs will kick in.

For maps I’m not sure where in the world you are, assuming the US or Canada. For people in the UK, a lot of second hand book shops and even charity shops will have second hand O/S maps. For this campaign they’re often better, being older and less built up and closer to the situation back in WW2.

For more international buyers, you can also find them on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383510616757 (I’ve never dealt with the seller so cannot say what they’re like)
    Glad you like the scenario, the basic engine will fit into a lot of different periods, but then most basic engines do 🙂

I’m glad I introduced you to Peter Pig. They do a lot of nice figures for a lot of periods. They also tend to do a period well with lots of choice, rather than flitting constantly between them leaving you with ranges with gaps

Ruarigh
    Participant

If you’re looking for period maps and buying physical copies is not really an option, the National Library of Scotland has OS maps online, including WW2 era. They sell digital copies that you could print out, but you can view any of them on screen in full.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://envirocitizen.eu
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Jim Webster
    Participant

If you’re looking for period maps and buying physical copies is not really an option, the National Library of Scotland has OS maps online, including WW2 era. They sell digital copies that you could print out, but you can view any of them on screen in full.

That’s a useful resource. Thanks for that

Fred B
    Participant

For maps I’m not sure where in the world you are, assuming the US or Canada. For people in the UK, a lot of second hand book shops and even charity shops will have second hand O/S maps. For this campaign they’re often better, being older and less built up and closer to the situation back in WW2.

I am in US now, but am originally from Poland, so I want to try to find some Polish maps. I found a Polish government body that does the same thing as Ordinance Survey in UK, but it seems maps are available upon request, but they have some samples of modern maps. I will send an email and look for more info. If not, I can use some of the Scottish maps Ruarigh (thank you Ruarigh – those are super handy!) recommended and build my scenario around that. As I am playing imagi-nations, I can just pretend that it isn’t Scotland 😉

I’m glad I introduced you to Peter Pig. They do a lot of nice figures for a lot of periods. They also tend to do a period well with lots of choice, rather than flitting constantly between them leaving you with ranges with gaps

I already knew of Peter Pig, and picked up some of theirs minis through ebay in US (I lucked out and got some WW1 Polish) and as my game takes place in 20s-30s I was mainly looking their WW1 offering, but I love their WW2 selection with all those niche minis (like soldiers on bicycles or Brits just having tea)!

Jim Webster
    Participant

I am in US now, but am originally from Poland, so I want to try to find some Polish maps. I found a Polish government body that does the same thing as Ordinance Survey in UK, but it seems maps are available upon request, but they have some samples of modern maps. I will send an email and look for more info. If not, I can use some of the Scottish maps Ruarigh (thank you Ruarigh – those are super handy!) recommended and build my scenario around that. As I am playing imagi-nations, I can just pretend that it isn’t Scotland 😉

I confess to regularly doing that. I long ago found that when I drew my own map I tried to make it ‘interesting’. But actually I just ended up making it ‘obvious’ and real maps are far more interesting

Fred B
    Participant

I confess to regularly doing that. I long ago found that when I drew my own map I tried to make it ‘interesting’. But actually I just ended up making it ‘obvious’ and real maps are far more interesting

Agreed. Also, for this kind of solo experience, I feel if I made a map myself, I would remember what’s there when I played through it with the “fog of war” sheet.

Fortunately I found a website of a Polish organization/society dedicated to preserving older maps. They scan those at high resolution and provide free access. There’s bunch of maps there from different sources, dating to early XX century, but most seem to be around WW2 era. Here’s an example set of maps made by the allied forces from the 60s. Any of the squares with red text have at least one scan. You can also check the dropdown list to choose a different set. With this and OS maps I should be fine for maps 😀

Jim Webster
    Participant

That is a really useful resource, thanks 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.