Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Who made a 28mm River Song?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rhoderic
    Participant

There used to be an awesome 28mm “not River Song” available from somewhere, but I can’t remember where. Might have been Hasslefree or Heresy. I’ve understood that non-official Doctor Who figures have been disappearing off the market as Warlord now have the official license, so I (sadly) expect the figure I’m looking for has gone OOP. Still, I’d love to be reminded of the manufacturer and the name of the figure (it obviously wasn’t “River Song”), and to find a picture of it. I might ask the manufacturer whether they have any plans to modify the sculpt and re-release it as something less derivative (but similar). It was such an excellent-looking figure in perfect “space western” attire and would have suited one of my projects splendidly, if I’d only gotten around to ordering it in time. In fact I thought I had the figure already, but I now realise I was mistaken 

Victoria Dickson
    Participant
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Was it Crooked Dice?

Hmm… Googling “Crooked Dice River Song” I found the figure you’re referring to, and I’m second-guessing myself now. I’m, like, 75% certain that’s the one I was thinking of. At any rate, I wish I had it.

I’ll have to wait and see what sort of version of her Warlord Games will release, but I’m not hopeful. I generally like Warlord and think their Antares range proves that CAD sculpting does have a place in the industry, but the CAD-sculpted Doctor Who figures they’ve released so far leave me cold. They’re technically impeccable, but there’s just something soulless about them compared to the now OOP Hasslefree, Heresy and Crooked Dice figures. And I specifically want her in the same attire as the Crooked Dice version (that space western look), even if I also generally want more 28mm female figures with curly hair regardless of attire (there’s a bit of a dearth of those, IMO).

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

You might still find them on ebay, hopefully at not a vastly inflated price?

Rhoderic
    Participant

Yeah, I can hope.

‘Course, would be a shame for Crooked Dice to let such a good sculpt go to waste. Some modifications to the sculpt, a new mould and it should be safe to sell again as a unique character design. But that’s probably wishful thinking.

Rhoderic
    Participant

So now I’ve got this ambitious conversion idea in my head based on either of the Copplestone-sculpted “future wars” female police officers.

The original Crooked Dice figure: LINK

Older Copplestone police officer: LINK & LINK

Newer Copplestone police officer: LINK

I’m not quite sure why I want to do this, specifically. It’s not as if I need her in the same pose. In fact I don’t even specifically need a River Song figure (at the moment), I just wanted her because I thought a curly-haired female in space western attire would have suited my “Docker Mafia” gang well (in my homebrew sci-fi urban gang war setting inspired by Judge Dredd and Necromunda, “Dockers” are people from the frontier systems come to live in the big city, bringing their “wild west”-like cultural identity with them). But it’s become something more than that, now. It’s almost like I want to convert a replacement figure for the Crooked Dice River Song out of sheer defiance against the original figure having gone OOP. I will not be defeated! 

The Copplestone cops have an interesting similarity to the figure I want. I might have to source a curly-haired female head from somewhere though, as I doubt my own skill at sculpting hair.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.