Home Forums General General Why you like TWW

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

The owner does not call people stupid…

Keith Barker
    Participant

Out of interest, how much of the EU part is UK?

Mike
    Keymaster

Out of interest, how much of the EU part is UK?

The stats do not show that, there is almost certainly a way to find out, but from monitoring the site and knowing various members I would say the majority.

I will do some investigating when time allows and report back.

EDIT: Just inserted some tracking codes and what not, will have a better view of country splits in a few weeks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mike.
    OB
    Participant

Nor does he run an unconvincing alter ego to spam up his own site.  Good things both.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Rhubarb633
    Participant

I’m relatively new here. I only registered a few days ago, so I can only comment on first impressions. What drew me here is the friendly, civilized, welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. That was very apparent to me from browsing the site before I decided to register.

I’ve not been here long enough to test out or comment on the technical functions of the site. I mainly access the site on my smartphone. It is pretty readable in mobile format. The only ‘odd’ quirk is that the title logo is huge, doesn’t size to the screen and is consequently always truncated to ‘THE WARG’. No big deal, just a mild irritation.

Ochoin makes a valid point about a forum being no better than the amount of traffic and the quality of posts. To be sure, TWW has fewer posts than some other sites I’ve frequented, but I think that what it lacks in quantity it more than makes up for in quality. No politics or pointless arguments, no flame wars, no silly polls, no prima donnas. In short, I come here because it is a site about miniature wargaming (the clue is in the name, right?) and that’s exactly what it delivers. Much of that is down to the individual contributors, but most of all because Mike and Sam have set the right tone and moderate the site well. Kudos.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Rhubarb633.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Rhubarb633.
    Oh no….
    Participant

No moronic “polls” on unrelated subjects.

Sanity and common courtesy prevail.

a forum being no better than the amount of traffic and the quality of posts.

There is a forum not a million miles from here that was noteworthy for “possessing” a number of highly knowledgeable members in a range of periods. They have now mostly all gone. Indeed, apart from the Colonial era where the VAG & several of his cronies still attend & the AWI board where there is still a degree of expertise, consulting Google is now a better option.

TWW is not currently at that exalted state but definitely is getting there. I’ll admit my “geekiness” in that I relish a discussion over my favourite periods.

Napoleonics anyone?

I am thankful that I can be indulged here & treated to some informed opinions.

donald

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Deleted User.
    Volunteer
    Participant

The number one thing going for TWW is that it is NOT that other horrible place!

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Don Glewwe
    Participant

I am thankful that I can be indulged here & treated to some informed opinions. donald

Atmosphere.  I’m thankful (at times) that I can’t be indulged.

I can (and do) break the wheaton rule in my online ‘presence’ (did I use that correctly?).

When I do so here (and I have, more than I care to have investigated…) I truly feel ashamed for having soiled myself and in so doing ruined the venue for any who have been unfortunate enough to have stumbled upon my mess.

This place is self-correcting, insofar as I don’t need to be specifically punished or shamed: I do that to myself because the ambience (ooo – that’s cosmopolitan, that is!) inflicts its own rapprochement (okay – now I’m just scrambling and letting Google write this…) upon my behavior.

Bottom line: This is a polite, friendly place that encourages polite, friendly behavior because it’s a polite, friendly place.

Seems simple (and it is) but -like chess- it’s not easy, and I appreciate/applaud the moderators/members who work constantly to make it so.

(one of) the other Donald(s)

https://brawlfactory.net/

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

I like it because the moderator doesn’t have a bizarre personal vendetta against me 🙂

But, otherwise, I like it for all the reasons previously given.

I do all my own stunts.

It’s understandable, probably therapeutic & definitely amusing to dwell on the peccadilloes of certain other wargaming sites but, with no criticism intended, perhaps it would be better to move on & focus on the future of TWW?

I think we’re agreed it’s an OK place but how to maintain & even grow it? I’m more than content to leave moderation in the hands of Mike & any minions he may recruit to help him. So what can I do?

Above all, be an active, positive & (dare I say) valuable member of the community. I think the more of us who contribute, the better.

Nothing is immutable. I think I should suggest change but also live with any decisions made to the contrary. For example, I think there should be more boards. Not a ridiculous number but some needed ones eg Colonial. If the moderator decides otherwise I should not go into a huff.

My hobby is wargaming, not reading wargames’ forums. However, I value TWW and wish it well.

donald

kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s fun and I only talk about war gaming here.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

…I only talk about war gaming here.

Except for that post…D’oh!  

https://brawlfactory.net/

kyoteblue
    Participant

Oops !!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Nothing is immutable. I think I should suggest change but also live with any decisions made to the contrary. For example, I think there should be more boards. Not a ridiculous number but some needed ones eg Colonial. If the moderator decides otherwise I should not go into a huff..

Then everyone else decides that their favourite board is ‘needed’ , and eventually you end up with a ridiculous number of boards as every bugger else pleads their special case and Mike is forced to try to accommodate them as they argue “well NCS got the board he asked for, why can’t I?”.

The law of unintended consequences. And please don’t suggest that requests for new boards should be subject to a poll of the membership…

TWW is fine as it is. If an individual cannot find a place to post within a general period board, then the problem isn’t TWW’s lack of boards.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

If you correctly and sensibly TAG a topic it can easily be found regardless of which forum it is in.

If I had my way there would be no forums just official TAGS. You could have all the TAGS you wanted that way.

But I felt that may be too radical at this stage.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mike. Reason: Spellings
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

If you correctly and sensibly TAG a topic it can easily be found regardless of which forum it is in.

Is there anywhere that all tags are listed, rather than just the most-used ones?

Military history author

Mike
    Keymaster

Is there anywhere that all tags are listed, rather than just the most-used ones?

As far as I know (I am double checking right now) there is no list at all of forum TAGS, the tags on the front page news section are the news TAGS.
    Have I been dim and missed the forum TAGs?

Mike
    Keymaster

Some stats for 2017, TWW is growing, thanks to everyone that make this community what it is.

OB
    Participant

Base line growing steadily that’s a good thing.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Participant

48% rise in the number of individuals visiting over a year – good increase!

OldBen1
    Participant

I came here initially for the news feed.  It’s much easier and more up to date than other sites.

Moderator and members are cool too.  The smaller sites feel more personal.

I wish more people posted, especially in the fantasy and the 15mm sci fi section.

. I wish more people posted, especially in the fantasy and the 15mm sci fi section.

Hi, Ben, there’s the rub.

With apologies to Mike but TWW is nothing without the membership.

I belong to a smaller, cosy forum (WD3) that’s dying on its feet. TWW needs to have quite a few members with something of value to say & the will to say it, hopefully over a range of genres to survive & grow.

Like others, I choose to play an active (if undistinguished) part in TWW. The more who are active, the better the forum QED.

I hope to see you post lots here. You may be the ingredient that attracts other 15mm Sci-Fi gamers to start posting.

donald

OldBen1
    Participant

It’s not for lack of trying.  I like posting.  I find that on the LAF forum my skills are a little underwhelming.  😔 I’m also very interested in Crom’s Anvil.

i will redouble my posting efforts!

Mike
    Keymaster

I found that with my Angel Barracks hat and Crom’s Anvil hat on, that only posting here and not on other sites, or on other sites but just teasers with links to here helps TWW a lot.
    Though I have a vested interest in driving traffic this way.
    Many people just want their stuff to be seen and if that means posting on a lot of sites then why would they not?

I always try to post the content here and link from other sites to here and to encourage those from other sites to come here and share the cool vibe we have.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

TWW needs to have quite a few members with something of value to say & the will to say it, hopefully over a range of genres to survive & grow.

You’re absolutely right, of course. I’m going to make an effort to post more.

Military history author

Joe
    Participant

It seems it is the only hobby site that has a secure site.

willz
    Participant

All what has been praised above, this site is full of friendly, vibrant, informative, helpful, inquisitive, polite wargamers and modellers.

Keep up the good work Mike and long may it continue.

Willz

grizzlymc
    Participant

I’m going to say it.  This site is everything PMT isn’t.  And what Ms Fawr said.

Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

I only recently became a supporting member of TWW although I have been visiting almost since it began (after being locked from a site-which-dare-not-speak-it’s-name). I should have chucked my money in earlier, but it kept slipping my mind.

I like it here as it seems relaxed, people are more likely to help than criticize (although constructive criticism always has its place), the moderation is good and even handed, it’s not dominated by certain ‘personalities’ or bots spamming every board with irrelevant content. The site is clean-looking, slick and runs well without bugs or downtime. There’s plenty of reasons why I like TWW and it’s pleasing to see the stats posted by Mike above that it is growing.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNUYwNznn-ZuNMoHoF3urwQ

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Oh no….
    Participant

Its a happy place.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I was told there would be pizza…

You know, one thing that has surprised me about TWW is the interest the people here have sparked in gaming periods outside of my norm.  Between the excellent AARs of various games, the historical postings, and even the “travel logs” that some have been posting (or blogging about and letting us know here) I have inadvertently begun to plan out games and purchases for new projects I normally wouldn’t have had an desire to attempt.  This is a good thing!  Thanks y’all!

Oh, and being able to “throw spaghetti at the wall” while Mike developed Burning Sands was really cool too!  Don’t know how much we all actually helped, but the spirit of collaboration, consideration, and helpfulness everyone showed without any tearing down was a pretty unique experience.  I don’t think that would have happened very many places at all.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks

In some cases there were some great ideas on what to do!

hammurabi70
    Participant

Wot he said.

I only recently became a member of TWW although I have been visiting almost since it began.  I like it here as it seems relaxed, people are more likely to help than criticize (although constructive criticism always has its place), the moderation is good and even handed, it’s not dominated by certain ‘personalities’ or bots spamming every board with irrelevant content. The site is clean-looking, slick and runs well without bugs or downtime. There’s plenty of reasons why I like TWW and it’s pleasing to see the stats posted by Mike above that it is growing.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by hammurabi70.
    Mike
    Keymaster

Bumped for all the new folks to find more readily.

Thomaston
    Participant

Yup, this is a happy place. I just realized I’ve been here a year.

This is actually the first forum that got me more into the hobby instead of stowing it away.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

A nice and sane guy runs it.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mike
    Keymaster

What did that last user say, I have him on ignore!

😀

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Very friendly communtiy (which I dare to say isn´t the norm)!
    And this community brings up mostly very interesting and diverse content. And has a very high level of knowledge.
    No trolls.
    Also a great thing is the search function for manufacturers (Google doesn´t help very much on this – especially for smaller companies)

One word on the anglo-centric point: wargaming in the pure, historical and military, sense is unknown here in Germany*. You can even be happy if you find a sci fi or fantasy player in a radius of 20-50km, GW products have some higher degree of  awareness in the RPG community.
    I would even say on the whole continent (and I think there may be a market to open).

* Which has, obviously, historical reasons.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.