Home Forums General Books and Magazines WI 377 Just Jack's Pics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cmnash
    Participant

I have just read Just Jack’s blog post regarding the unauthorised use of his photographs in WI 377, here:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/04/anybody-read-wargames-illustrated.html

Personally, I think this is bang out of order and have emailed the magazine asking that they apologise to Jack for this

I felt concerned about it enough that I had to share it here too.

deephorse
    Participant

I’m quite surprised by this.  Makes me wonder how much more of their content is just lifted wholesale from the internet?  Could be that they have their own version of fizzy-orange-flavoured-drink-01 working on the magazine.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey Jack, post something on TWW will Ya!!!

Russell Phillips
    Participant

That strikes me as horribly unprofessional. I expect much better from a commercially-produced magazine.

Military history author

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I thought that even in the digital realm, you still owned the copyright to your pics etc. I stand to be corrected however!

Mike
    Keymaster

I thought that even in the digital realm, you still owned the copyright to your pics etc.

You do.

cmnash
    Participant

I sent this email to the letters address of WI the same day I posted here:

Hi,  I think that it’s bang out of order for your magazine to use a blogger’s pictures without their permission, or at the very least. notifying them of your intent to do so.

If you do not know what I’m referring to, then I direct you to this blog post ny ‘Just Jack’:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/04/anybody-read-wargames-illustrated.html

I do hope that you will apologise to Jack, if not in your magazine, then at least directly to him

To be honest, I expected better from your publication

Colin Nash
    A very disappointed reader

and got this reply this morning:

Hi Colin,

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. We’ve apologised publicly on the Blog and offered some compensation.

These type of things happen very rarely, but are, of course, unacceptable. We’ve reviewed the matter and dealt with it internally.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne Bollands

So to me it seems that WI has done the right thing – they made a mistook, have owned up to it, and offered amends – well done to them

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’m a little concerned that I can’t find the apology. Am I being dim? Can someone point me at it please?

Military history author

Whirlwind
    Participant

Scroll down to the bottom of the comments on Just Jack’s blog.  It is from [email protected] .

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Mike
    Keymaster

I’m a little concerned that I can’t find the apology. Am I being dim? Can someone point me at it please?

I was looking for it on WI’s page, I am guessing you were too?

Guy Farrish
    Participant

It would be a good place to start wouldn’t it?

Good they’ve apologised on Jack’s blog, but a slightly more up front, equal size and prominence announcement to the original mistake, on their own site, might be more appropriate.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I was looking on the WI site, as Mike guessed. Given that Jack didn’t seem concerned, I imagine he’s happy with the offer and the apology.

I’d have preferred an acknowledgement of the mistake and apology on WI’s site, but since I’m not the aggrieved party, my opinion isn’t really relevant.

Mostly I hope they’ve put something in place to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Military history author

Just Jack
    Participant

Well, my goodness!  I post a bit of belly-aching on my blog, get busy for a couple days, and look what it turns into! 😉

First, let me say a big thanks to my buddy Colin for his kind gesture (both the post here and the email to Wargames Illustrated), and thanks to everyone here for the moral support.  And I very much appreciate the response from Wargames Illustrated; it seems like a simple mistake, no apologies necessary, and their offer of a free year-long subscription is extraordinarily generous.  I’ll send them an email shortly.

The most important point in all this is probably Kyote’s: I need to get off my lazy butt, get back to some wargaming, and posting it here!  I’ll do my best, just lots of ‘real life’ going on right now.

Thanks again to everyone, I appreciate it.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Yeah, I’m doing the heavy lifting right now with my Rebels and Patriots (Osprey Pub.) rules, figure painting and split rail building!!! Get off your butt Jack!!!

Thomaston
    Participant

Wow, all this happened and resolved while I was sleeping.
    My first thought was, “That’s not right”, then I check the blog and saw the image and thougt I’d be glattered.
    Glad they took accountability for it and offered compensation.
    If I was religious I’d say god works in mysterious way, of all the days, all the shop and all the books you could have picked up.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.