Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Will 10mm scifi ever be a thing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Yes, I know there’s some stuff out there, but by and large scifi gaming seems dominated by 6mm, 15mm and 28+++++mm.

Will 10mm ever become a “thing” in the same way 15mm exploded some years back? What are your thoughts?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mike
    Keymaster

I guess it depends how big the new 8mm Epic will be, if it is a touch bigger than 8mm then maybe?

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

And whether they are pushing on to create a full thing or if it’ll just be titans and a stand-alone game.

Nordic Weasel Games

Stroezie
    Participant

Isn’t dropzone commander supposed to be 10mm?

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I have a hard time trying to scale 10mm, so for me it’s less desirable than 6mm or 15mm or even 12mm.  I really do like the output from Hawk WG, but always wished it to be just a bit bigger or just a bit smaller… and that’s mostly so it would fit in with everything else I already had amassed.  Long ago I had hopes that 20mm sci-fi would explode (also somewhat selfish as I had a lot of WW2 and Vietnam in 20mm) as there are a lot of useful plastic model kits that could easily have been kitbashed, but it also seems to have been proven to be an “in between” scale now.

Ahhhh, what could have been…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

yeah, 20mm is really attractive in principle but it seems to not really have caught on much.

Nordic Weasel Games

Stroezie
    Participant

The reason I said supposed to be is because so far all the vehicles I’ve seen from them scale pretty well with 6mm (in fact they were being used in 6mm games), I have yet to see the infantry figures in the flesh so to speak so I can’t comment on them.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Rhoderic
    Participant

Will 10mm ever become a “thing” in the same way 15mm exploded some years back?

15mm sci-fi exploded only in a certain segment of the market, the hardcore “indie” segment we’ve been discussing lately.  I mean, really, it’s so indie that one of the foremost 15mm sci-fi manufacturers doesn’t even have its webstore online for half of the time. On the whole, I’d say 10mm sci-fi has already “exploded bigger” than 15mm sci-fi given that Dropzone Commander and Planetfall did so in another, probably bigger market segment.

I’m not saying there isn’t a point of view where 15mm sci-fi may be considered a bigger phenomenon than 10mm sci-fi. But it’s a viewpoint that ascribes greater value to grass-roots street cred and number of separate manufacturers, than to the cold, hard measure that is market share.

As for 10mm sci-fi at a more grass-roots level, it is kind of interesting to me that Hydra Miniatures is now developing a game and range of miniatures in that scale. There’s just the caveat that it’s styled after 1950’s retro pulp sci-fi.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Does Dropzone have that much market share though?

Locale varies and all that, but I’ve literally never seen the figures in shops.

Nordic Weasel Games

Rhoderic
    Participant

Does Dropzone have that much market share though? Locale varies and all that, but I’ve literally never seen the figures in shops.

Nor have I, to be honest. But it does seem to have a decent presence in online retail channels.

I’ve rarely even seen Infinity figures in shops, but it’s not like that game doesn’t have market share.

Hell, I’ve rarely even seen WarmaHordes and FoW in shops. Wargame shops in my country can be a bit… depressing, to visit. It’s almost all GW. I’ll be curious to see if even Star Wars Legion is able to muscle in.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

True.
    It’s also hard to speculate how many people bought figures that are now collecting dust etc.

Nordic Weasel Games

Evyn MacDude
    Participant

The short answer is; NO.

The huge problem with 10mm is the same “problem” that 6mm has in that infantry is largely generic. So for vehicle centric games like Dropship commander, Heavy Gear et’al it’s a fine size.  Scale wise I have always figures 10mm to be 1/144th scale.

Speaking as to a 10mm explosion like 15mm. Probably not, as there isn’t the historic population of figures in 10mm that there was in 15mm. Plus you need to have a large vocal fanbase pointing out a void that could be filled.

(Note, I was one of those people that drug 15mm back from the brink in the late 90s and 00s. We did it by both proselytising about the use of 15mm and by bugging the current and former manufactures about new releases, things we would buy, etc. etc…

Also note we had help from the RPG and Wargames sides of the industry as well, in that Traveller was done in 15mm figures for both the RPG and a number of wargames by GDW. In fact the 15mm standard figure size is based on the Citadel/RAFM Traveller License 15mm figures.

And Finally 15mm SF had a strong selling point in the Fact they were Science Fiction figures not the Science Fantasy of 40k.)

Evyn

Rhoderic
    Participant

The huge problem with 10mm is the same “problem” that 6mm has in that infantry is largely generic. So for vehicle centric games like Dropship commander, Heavy Gear et’al it’s a fine size. Scale wise I have always figures 10mm to be 1/144th scale.

Aren’t you answering the question “Will 10mm infantry-centric sci-fi ever be a thing?”?

I see vehicles as being one of the selling points of 10mm (and 12mm such as Heavy Gear) that differentiate it from 15mm (and 18mm). I’ve started buying 15mm sci-fi figures, and sometimes I’m a bit frustrated that, for all the infantry figures available in that scale, it takes more searching and compromise to source vehicles that match the infantry in style. So the best way to game and collect 15mm sci-fi, to me, is to make those projects infantry-centric.

10mm would then offer something different, the opportunity to go vehicle-centric instead. 6mm offers the same thing of course, but not everyone wants to go that small.

Anyway, I think 10mm sci-fi is doing fine enough as it is (I also forgot to mention CAV alongside Dropzone Commander, Planetfall and the upcoming Atomic Tank). So at this point I’d sooner see an upswing in 20mm sci-fi, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. More scales make for a healthier, more vibrant hobby scene, and now that even 3mm sci-fi has at least a little bit of traction, 20mm seems like the biggest remaining gap in the sci-fi market. To be clear, I’m not saying I expect 20mm sci-fi to actually take off (seems highly unlikely at the moment), I’m just saying it would be a lovely thing to happen in an ideal world.

Noel
    Participant

Heavy Gear is 10/12mm, as well.

Cameronian
    Participant

Have you had a look at Pendraken? Possibilities there perhaps.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.