Home Forums Air and Sea Air Wings at War Air War Over Khalkhin Gol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve started a little Xmas holiday project, based on an adaptation of the Wings at War WW1 rules, Dawn of Aces, to the Japanese / Soviet conflict over the Nonomhan / Khalkhin Gol area of Mongolia in 1939. This will be heavily based on the SAM Publications Air War Over Khalkhin Gol book, which is excellent and very useful as a reference for wargaming and modelling, hence the title of the project.

I’ve started by working out the Altitude Bands and Flight Levels for both the Soviet and Japanese aircraft, which you can check out on my blog:

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2018/12/air-war-over-khalkin-gol-altitude.html

Next, I’ll be working out the Energy Ratings for both loaded and unloaded aircraft, which is a bit more complicated!

This is just a rules re-writing project at the moment but will probably turn into a 1/600th scale miniatures project in the New Year, once I’ve finished my current Football War project painting back log.

I love interwar planes, this is going to be interesting.
    At first I was expecting IJN A4N and A5M vs I-15 and I-16 but that was Sino-Japanese.

Participant

This is army rather than navy, so the principal fighter is the Ki-27, although they also used Ki-10’s right at the end, when they were low on numbers.

Participant

Looks like a fun project. I have the SAM Khalkhin Gol book, and it’s an excellent source based on post-Soviet research in the Russian archives. Khalkin Gol is a great setting for a Golden Age air war. You can field a variety of planes, some high-performance, others not so much, for a variety of missions, in small numbers or big formations.

I’ve known of the Wings At War rules for a while, I have a copy of Tumbling Dice’s Desert Spitfires free introductory set. I haven’t done anything with them because my Israeli War of Independence collection is minimal and I’ve been busy playing other rules.

WAW covers WWII and other conflicts besides WWI. Why did you decide to ‘adapt’ Duel of Aces WWI for Khalkhin Gol instead of using the 1940 Battle of Britain Scramble for Britain WWII set? I’ll be watching for updates as your project progresses.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The main reason is that Duel of Aces is a better fit than the Battle of Britain version.</p>
    Khalkhin Gol is very much a ‘meeting engagement’ for want of a better term than an attack / defence situation.

It was fought over a frontline with defensive positions ( infantry dug in, artillery, tank formations, supply dumps, airstrip etc)  as targets for aerial ground attack and bombing.

It involved large formations of fighters against other large formations of fighters in a very fluid situation, with both tactical and ‘strategic’ bombing.

There was extensive use of recconnaisse and artillery spotting by both sides and the Japanese even used observation balloons.

There was also no radar.

I will probably pinch some bits from the Battle of Britain rules but the WW 1 system just seemed a better fit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.