Home Forums General Blogs Winner announced! Tactical decision exercise #1

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by JozisTinMan JozisTinMan 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

See my blog for the winner and the top 3 entries. Feel free to comment here or on my blog on why I am wrong, thanks to all who participated!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

A couple of quibbles from Mr. Tactically-Picky on the winning solutions:

The M240 (GPMG) is the most powerful people-killing weapon you have. Something else should be assigned the job of rear security.

Imagining that AK blokes can’t hit things at 75m seems remarkably optimistic.

And why did nobody send a contact report?

All the best,

John.

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Ha! LOL.  Yes, the book solution has the 240 targeting the truck, as it is your best weapon for the job.  Also, good spotting on the SALUTE report, as you are only 2 blocks from the crash site, you platoon leader and company commander just MIGHT be interested that you have made contact.

Good eye, and I always appreciate your quibbles and enjoy your comments on the forum.

I’ll post another one in a week or so and you can dive in on it too.

I’d have had Fireteam 2 hit the RPG gunners, engage until all targets down, then shift to the AK guys.  I’d station myself with the M240 and have it engage the truck, then shift fire right or left depending on how each fireteam does, it should be able to eliminate the SPG pretty quickly at 75 meters.  Fire team 2 hits the AK guys, engage until all targets down.

I’d detach the designated marksman and one guy from fireteam 2 to provide security.  As soon as the Technical is out of action and I decided where to shift fire with the 240 (say 30 – 60 seconds into the engagement) then I’d call up the Platoon leader and report contact.  Once we are done here, move the two blocks towards the Blackhawk with the fire team 1, MG and Me  in traveling overwatch, and Fire team 2 pulling rear security.  Speed is of the essence to get to the crash site and establish a perimeter.

Of course, it is easy for me to decide all this in my jammies in my nice cozy house and not in 120 degree heat with guys trying to kill me.

Next one will be at a higher level of command, and I think we’ll go WW2 this time.

Of course this is all a scam so I can get rid of some old magazines…

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by JozisTinMan JozisTinMan.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Just a boring thought  – I’m almost certain you would have to end up going into the shooty phase at some (fairly immediate in all probability) stage, but remember:

Your unit is currently deployed to the country of Somalistan as part of a U.S.-led force that is attempting to conduct humanitarian relief operations.

What are the rules of engagement?

Can you just poll up and start going bang because they have red kerchiefs?

If so – go ahead after calling in the Contact.

Otherwise call a probable contact, deploy and then at least go through the motions of shouting, ‘US/Brit/Canadian etc Army’ (with an open mike to base) and then pull the trigger – it will sound much better  in the hearing and give all those nice civil servants a fig leaf to wear when the world’s press start shouting ‘Imperialist aggression’!

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Excellent point, the classroom material I leveraged from West Point does not discuss the ROE.

I am am really enjoying this discussion, as is sheds some light on how we simplify things on the tabletop and leave out what in the real world are the critics cal decisions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.