Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Wips

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I was finally able to locate a hose that will work with my new airbrush, without silly adapters that kill the airflow! Yay!  So, to make sure it works I busted out a pair of Venturian LODAVs and painted them up in a corporate color scheme for the “Azure Dawn” venture.  I tried a different form of paint modulation, using larger areas than previously (the other “panel” method I used on the Federation LODAVs on the right) and I am not quite sure if I like the effect yet.  At least the masking went well.

wip

Now, they may look a little odd right now as they are far from finished.  I was waiting for custom decals before proceeding but no one I have spoken with seem able to do it, so the search continues.  Once I have them, I can then put on the filters, inks, and highlights  and details and it should all unify and blend nicely (rather than looking all patchy and stark).  Can’t wait to get them all done!  I hate having half finished projects laying around…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Keymaster

Ooooh now that is VERY fancy pants

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

So it’s been a while!  But, I have made progress, just not as much as I’d really like to.

So this is good news/bad news.  The models up above were finished and used in a game at a Con, and someone just had to have them so off they went.  So I painted up a new pair using my new color scheme.  Weeeell… the APC ended as a fail.  It seems the resin it was cast in was a bad mix, as no sort of paint will stick to it at all. At one point I had the khaki color is complete and when I put mask on it it all just came off. I have cleaned it multiple times and even tried Krylon spray that is bent for Plastics and metals and nothing is sticking. However, the tank is come out pretty well:

G tank

Only problems are the red dried much too dark, even after having added orange.  Also I goofed the curve on the other side.

Pair

I really like the contrast between the 2 factions, but that oval is a pain in the rear!  The shape of the Fed armor is complex and detailed which makes masking difficult.  I think in the future I will keep the tan as the main color, paint the turrets white, and instead of the crazy oval just have a thick white stripe bordered with red on each side crossing the body of the vehicle at some point, maybe at an angle, maybe horizontal.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Thanks for reviving this thread, I hadn’t seen it before.

Since just a couple of days back I’ve suddenly developed a genuine interest in airbrushing for the first time in my life, so I’ve been hungrily reading articles and watching Youtube videos about the subject. I won’t be buying an airbrush just yet nor in the very near future (and to that end, it’s grounding in a positive way to know that there are “pains in the rear” with this expression of the modelling hobby as well), but I get a vicarious kick out of just watching it being done, or seeing the end results of it.

I also realise now how airbrush-conducive those tanks have been designed to be. They look marvelous painted the way you did them.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I also realise now how airbrush-conducive those tanks have been designed to be. They look marvelous painted the way you did them.

Thank you sir!  I appreciate it.  And these are just base colors, neither has had filters applied, inking, or details painted.  Hopefully that won’t take another full year too!

I have had complaints that the Dark Star line vehicles have too much open space, making them difficult to paint with brushes.  It seems to me that most gamers prefer a style with lots of greeblies on them so the method can be to spray paint a base color, push a wash over then drybrush.  Nothing wrong with that at all as I have seen a lot of models that look fantastic painted in that manner, but I agree it can be difficult with these models.  Because of this I do plan on making “Mk2” versions of many of the 1st and 2nd generation vehicles (the LODAVs are all 3rd gen) that are much more greeblied.

The shading method I’ve used for the tanks I learned from Hereseybrush.  They have an excellent tutorial and video on color modulation, with the subject being a 15mm WW2 tank.  The beginning stages look a little goofy (as above) but the end product is fantastic!

http://www.heresybrush.com/2014/luces-en-vehiculos-de-15mm-lightings-in-15mm/
    Great vid:

http://www.heresybrush.com/2012/videotutoriales-como-pintar-tanques-alemanes-15mm/
    Slightly different technique:

http://www.heresybrush.com/2017/pintando-tanques-en-15mm-tanque-e25-painting-15mm-tanks-e25-tank/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Mike. Reason: used link button for links

Rhoderic
    Participant

And these are just base colors, neither has had filters applied, inking, or details painted. Hopefully that won’t take another full year too!

Heh, I was totally oblivious to the lack of shading and thought those were finished paintjobs, to be honest. What are filters in this context, if I may ask?

Regarding details, how did you do the white symbol on the nose of the black-and-blue tank? It’s precisely the kind of imagery that I’d like in my 28mm Antares project.

I have had complaints that the Dark Star line vehicles have too much open space, making them difficult to paint with brushes.  It seems to me that most gamers prefer a style with lots of greeblies on them so the method can be to spray paint a base color, push a wash over then drybrush.  Nothing wrong with that at all as I have seen a lot of models that look fantastic painted in that manner, but I agree it can be difficult with these models.  Because of this I do plan on making “Mk2” versions of many of the 1st and 2nd generation vehicles (the LODAVs are all 3rd gen) that are much more greeblied.

This is why I changed my painting style years ago to only include recess-shading and a single “midlight” layer, eschewing further layers of highlights altogether. The rounded noses on those LODAVs require a very, very keen artistic instinct and intuition (which I don’t have) to paint multi-layer highlights in the right places so as to mimic the effect of a rounded surface catching the light. It’s basically the same as the classic “rounded shoulder pad” problem that’s so familiar to a lot fantasy and sci-fi hobbyists. I still want to be able to use all kinds of miniatures, and I hate the idea of being a slave to the necessity for greebly bits on every surface, so removing “super-midlight” highlights from the equation was the only reasonable way forward.

Come to think of it, that might be part of the reason I’m now receptive to airbrushing, which I used to think of as something that only “weird people” got up to. Of course, in reading articles and watching videos over the past few days I have come across some weird, rather arbitrary styles of highlighting used by airbrush hobbyists that feel almost completely alien to me as a brush hobbyist.

irishserb
    Participant

First, I love the blue.  And second, I would not in a million years try that oval thing. It looks great too, but would be my ticket to a padded room.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

What are filters in this context, if I may ask?

Sure sure!  With these being acrylic paint, thinned oils can be used as a filter, as long as you first apply an acrylic gloss coat first!  Filters are used to help blend and shade the base colors.  I used the same technique on the tracked and hover Federation models on the DSG webstore, and it makes a big difference to my eyes in person!

Filters can also be used to tint.  For instance, I used the same base colors (dunkelgelb modulation set from Ammo by MIG) on the tank models as I did for an E-100 for a friend, only for a filter I used a brown color on mine and a yellow color on his.  The end results were drastically different even though the starting point was the same!  (I wish I had comparison pictures!)

Regarding details, how did you do the white symbol on the nose of the black-and-blue tank? It’s precisely the kind of imagery that I’d like in my 28mm Antares project.

For this I used a very thin plastic stencil that I modified slightly.  I had tried to make my own decals and stencils and just couldn’t get it right so went with a piece from this set: https://www.anarchymodels.co.uk/hs21—cyber-circuits-58-p.asp

I have come across some weird, rather arbitrary styles of highlighting used by airbrush hobbyists that feel almost completely alien to me as a brush hobbyist.

Oh yes, me too!  At first Color Modulation looked totally bizarre, especially before filters and weathering , etc.  Some of the lighting and pre-shading techniques just look off until everything is finished.  But you can’t argue with the results! I am still very much a novice, especially with an airbrush where I have yet to figure out the right needle/nib combo, but I have been pretty happy using these modulation techniques.  Watch the above videos and see what you think.  It is just as easy as they show!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

First, I love the blue.  And second, I would not in a million years try that oval thing. It looks great too, but would be my ticket to a padded room.

Thanks!  I think the blue is very striking as well, and I am very happy with how it turned out!  The oval on this model wasn’t so bad (but still a total pain!), but it was hell on the APC, as it is a much more complex shape with the curved main hull and angular sponsons, plus the oval drooped over one side.  Looked great until the masking pulled the pain off!  grumble grumble..

John Treadaway
    Participant

Ouch…. bugger me but they are good. Top notch sir, just bloody top notch.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks man!  I can’t move forwards with them until I get the APC up to the same point, then I can push them together.  I”m hoping some Rustolium primer for out door furniture will do it!

Chris Reynolds
    Participant

Those vehicles are gorgeous. Really look the goods for an antigrav hover car that’s actually believable. Great shaped/sloped glacis and turrets. The one thing I would be worried about is hard cornering or full left/right traversed firing (if they’re KE weapons, that is!) leading to rollover, but I don’t know much about the fluff to figure how they fly.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I feel ya!  These beasts are actually “3rd generation” and designed to be dropped from low orbit so have advanced stabilizing tech, as well as plasma or particle beam weapons (reduced recoil bigtime!) instead of kinetic types.  Now, there are some 2nd gen grav tanks that have kinetic weapons, such as those used by the Garrhul, but they are more designed to pop-up and attack rather than move as fast as these.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Finally got these done and totally forgot to post them anywhere!  The new light box seems to wash out the shading, which is a bit of a bummer, but I now have a new phone (which of course I got AFTER taking these photos) which should make future photos much more wow.

Tiger LODAVPuma LODAV

I also might have had the lights too direct.  Maybe bounce them off of something above the box?  I”m not too thrilled about the tan and white scheme though.  Perhaps a bit too generic and not scifi enough.  And the Tiger LODAV looks like a pimple…

ZS

I’m really liking the blue and black for the Venturians.  Oddly enough, reversing the blue to the front and black to the back looks better in 6mm then this scheme for some reason.

KhrKhl

Believe it or not, these 2 models (and the Scorpion and Talin) were my first foray into 15mm modelling for myself.  Lots of lessons learned, but I think they are neat designs that actually look like scifi ground tanks rather than 20th century tanks with a makeover.

tzbo

And of course the 2 new releases.  Hopefully my caster gets in gear so I can release some other new stuff.

Now I just need to get he infantry painted up to picture standard…

Mr. Average
    Participant

Superb paintwork! You kids and your airbrushery. In my day we had to use horse hair on a stick!

You know it’s occurred to me that there are enough models in your line to make a Miniatures set for the old Grav Armor game. I wonder how it would play at 6mm?

Thomaston
    Participant

Very sharp and clean paint job.

Tired is enough.

irishserb
    Participant

They are all exceptional!  I do love the blue (still), but have to say that I think the tan is striking as well.  I particularly like the stripe across the hull, the red contrasts the lighter colors perfectly, really sets them off.

I also love the tracked vehicle designs.  As you said, It does look distinctly sci-fi, not just recycled 20th century concepts.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks guys!  I’ve been real slow with the painting, just too much going on around here.  Hopefully I’ll be getting some castings of new releases soon and can paint up some of the Spec-Sec mechs with their new weapons options.  Lots of boom!

You know it’s occurred to me that there are enough models in your line to make a Miniatures set for the old Grav Armor game. I wonder how it would play at 6mm?

Which game is that?  Or is it called Grav Armor?

EDIT: found it on BGG, can download for free!

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Ok, you´ve found Grav Armor yourself in the meantime.
    I also like the white and tan paint – it´s exactly that making them looking sci fi. Has some Chris Foss touch.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

jagannath
    Participant

Blimey these look ace – love the black and blue, wouldn’t never consider that.

Mike
    Keymaster

love the black and blue, wouldn’t never consider that.

Company colours!!

😀

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

May have posted these before, but here is the swatch I did (over a year ago!) to test different color schemes before deciding on the tan/red/white.  Some of them I like very much and may use either on other factions or perhaps are different Federation units.

schemes

John Treadaway
    Participant

Been a while since I had the time to look at this thread.

I gotta say Darkest Star that your paint jobs are superb.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Aw thanks Jon!  They look much better in person, but perhaps with my new phone camera I can get some life like images.  And I really do have so many more to paint…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.