Home Forums Modern Woo-hoo – Cold War Brits and Canucks in 15mm from QRF getting closer..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Sparker
    Participant

Dear All,

The word on the street is that Geoff over at QRF has completed the greens for his long awaited 15mm Cold War Brits with SLRs in helmets, and has knocked out some Canucks with SLRs for a ‘First Clash’ scenario to boot….Getting excited!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Indeed… I managed to smuggle a box of dollies, some green stuff, a few scalpel blades, some copper wire and several packets of M16s, SLRs, AKs and a few other bits on the aeroplane out here to Ukraine.

Nothing to with Airport security… it was smuggling it past my wife…

So, a week into my holiday, I have managed to finish off…

PW Britain in helmet

6 with SLR
    3 Command SLR
    3 RTO
    3 Sterling
    3 Carl Gustav
    2 L4 Bren
    1 Blowpipe
    2 GPMG
    2 FOO/FAC (spotters)
    1 2″ mortar

3 Law66 (need to finish these when I get home)

2 dogs (guard or sniffer)
    1 goose (…that’s for the Romans… Chas has some already)
    2 downed pilots (flight suit and pistol, one holding helmet, one wearing, pretty generic, fast jet or rotary wing)
    3 Spetznaz scouts (great for behind the lines, or as forward scouts/dismountz from BRDMs)

Cold War Canadians (First Clash -been meaning to add these for some time)
    6 C1
    3 Command (C1)
    (rest to follow, need CG, LAW66, 0.30, 0.50, TOW crew – what did they use for LMG??)

Multi-purpose, Fritz helmets and AK assault rifles, slight mix of webbing – US helmet with AK has been a popular request for a while.
    6 with AKs
    3 Command
    (more to follow)

I was sort of… inspired. ‘Future’ soldiers (no name yet), in generic suits with visored helmets and backpack style respirators, and according to my 6 year old…
    3 ‘energy’ weapons
    3 heavy weapons (portable/support, railgun, missile/rocket launcher, plasma/freeze gun)
    These can, of course, be whatever you think they are. They could be used as terrain to fight off world, or aliens to invade Earth…

Modern US Special Forces on horseback
    4 horses, 4 riders (2 poses) in a mix of Afghan dress and US webbing, with M16.

Civilians with AK

3 ‘command’ (signalling/waving, so could be used generally for pose variation, or as some form of leader, ideal for FoF irregular)
    6 mixed poses (these will be in civvies clothing, shirts, jackets, little or no webbing, little or no headgear)
    I’m thinking these 9 will all be with AK. I may then add a 3 pose pack for each other primary common weapon type (M16, G3, SLR, RPG) later, so you can mix and match. Dress will be pretty generic, so probably cover most of Europe down to the Middle East.

Modern US
    2 figures with shotgun, M4 slung (adds to the range, to help you open the doors in AA/FoF)

Then (after seeing a photo of modern infantry on patrol) thinking of adding a single pack of left handers. I can do a pack of modern US and modern Germans when I get home (as I don’t have any M4s or G36 with me). I don’t recall seeing G3 or SLR being handled left handed? What about M16?

And I still have nearly 2 weeks of holiday left…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by GeoffQRF.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Sparker
    Participant

Great news Geoff – will start saving up! Don’t know about left handed SLR users – in my TA battalion a couple of lefties were encouraged to fire right handed on the range, because of the expended cases hitting them in the face making them uncomfortable, but on exercise having a proportion of rifles face right naturally was a real bonus…

kyoteblue
    Participant

Thats great Geoff…I’ll need one lefty for my nephew Nick.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

…armed with what?

QRF Models Limited

kyoteblue
    Participant

US National Guard I think the M-4 he helped train the ANA oh and kept wearing the seat of his pants out sliding down mountains My sister and I had to buy him uniform pants and send them to him.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

I think newer weapons (M4, G36, SA80) have been designed with that capability in mind, as much for operational purposes as individual preference, but older weapons (G3, M16, SLR) were very much ‘ right handed’ and it was easier to teach the soldier to shoot right handed than modify the weapon.

KB, not planning on doing one with his ass hanging out 😉

QRF Models Limited

kyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !!!

GeoffQRF
    Participant

…don’t want Sparker getting the wrong idea 🙂

QRF Models Limited

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Let’s see how this works…

QRF 2014 photo IMG_20140813_163537_zpse96d1463.jpg” alt=”New figures in progress” />

QRF Models Limited

kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool !!!

Sparker
    Participant

Very culture conscious of you to have your greenstuff prepared in the Ukrainian national colours!

GeoffQRF
    Participant

My son made a similar observation 🙂

QRF Models Limited

Shawn Carpenter
    Participant

Great stuff, Geoff, as always! Looking forward to seeing the finished product on a game table (very) near me! 😉

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Feel free to input suggestions Shawn

QRF Models Limited

GeoffQRF
    Participant

This table is now looking half clear. The PW Brits in helmets are bagged up. Just finishing the M1 helmets on the PW Canadians with SLR (obviously need to add more figures when I get home… still not sure what squad LMG they used?) and putting the kevlar helmets on one AK range (with webbing – 9 figures) and hair/caps on the other AK range (in civvie clothing – 9 figures)

QRF Models Limited

Ascent
    Participant

On the left handed thing, the SLR can be fired left handed but the L85 (SA80) is purely a right hander as the casings will eject straight into your face left handed.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

I do seem to recall a comment about how the SA80, when fired left handed, ejects the hot casings into your neck, where they then fall down inside your body armour…

So a pack of left handed with SLR (mainly walking/patrolling) would be welcome?

QRF Models Limited

kyoteblue
    Participant

I like the Idea.

Martin Lefebvre
    Participant

still not sure what squad LMG they used

The FNC2.  It’s basicly the “Canadianized” version of the Australian L2A1

http://www.eme421.com/FNC2A1.html

GeoffQRF
    Participant

US Kevlar Fritz helmets, slight mix of webbing but essentially US style, AK assault rifles – so far 9 basic figures with AK assault rifles, but I hope to add RPK and RPG (probably RPG-16)

This has been a popular request for a while, as I am told it can represent several different nations. That said, any suggestions which ones?

Also, any other weapon types that would be needed to fill the range out and give it maximum usefulness, ie is there a nation that uses Kevlar helmets, AK rifles but with Charlie G or some other sort of LAW? I could do a 2 or 3 pose pack with just that LAW (or whatever) to expand the ranges usefulness.

QRF Models Limited

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Definitely some RPK and whatnot. Are RPD’s still in common service anywhere or did they all get phased out?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

GeoffQRF
    Participant

The RPD seems to have been replaced in the Soviet army in the 1960s, but appears to still be in service in many other nations, so perhaps one pack with each, so people can make up whatever suits

QRF Models Limited

Sparker
    Participant

Geoff,

Any value in sculpting an FV432 Commander in battle bowler sitting in the hatch rim manning the GPMG on the turret ring, all in a single casting? Maybe so the hatch coaming on your 432 model can just be sliced off and this piece glued on…Maybe same-same for Chieftain commander?

GeoffQRF
    Participant

You know we have a pack of ‘NATO tank commanders’?

Bit more fiddly than one piece, I know

QRF Models Limited

Sparker
    Participant

Thanks Geoff no I didn’t know that, but I do now!

But for my 432 I was thinking more of the commander with ‘Battle Bowler’ covered in scrim, rather than a ‘bonedome’ – like in the picture in Gen Sir John Hackett’s ‘The Third World War’ of the Nato Infantry storming a position with the 432 commander providing covering fire.

Kinda like this but also with the GPMG to stick on the front…I guess I could bodge something up once I have your latest in my sweaty palms!

Martin Lefebvre
    Participant

Geoff, did my info on the Canadian SAW help?  – Hint, I’m itching to get some once they’re available to go up against your VDV.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Sparker, ah, I see what you mean, will see what I can do.

Martin, yes thanks. It’s the Heavy barrel SLR with bipod.

Just looking at new VDV…

QRF Models Limited

Sparker
    Participant

Thanks mate! Saves my rather painful bodging!

Martin Lefebvre
    Participant

Just looking at new VDV…

My poor bank account.  I already have a full company of VDV in assault helmets with associated Mi-8 and Mi-24 support in addition to a full platoon in berets and BMD-2 for later period.  Do I really need more…

Sparker
    Participant

You can never have too much 15mm goodness – who are your VDV going to fight?

irishserb
    Participant

This is all great news, I look forward to going broke in the near future.

Other wise, only two words come to mind: East Germans?

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Other than the obvious helmet… any differences between Soviet Russian and East German?

QRF Models Limited

irishserb
    Participant

Off of the top of my head (and I’m not an expert), the East German canteen looks more like WWII German with a cup strapped to it, though I think the cup is more conical in shape than the WWII version.  All of the AK ammo pouches that I am familiar with are wide enough for two side by side mags (either 2 or 3 deep) and use 2 straps on the front to secure it.  Web gear is similar to Soviet “Y” pattern.  Back pack is slightly rectangular  in the vertical, with short flap over top with 2 straps securing.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

So would you be content to have some like this:

East German uniform

East German helmet, AK, high boots, ‘Y’ yoke with double strapped pouches front, water bottle and entrenching tool, possibly with back pack?

QRF Models Limited

MaahisKuningas90
    Participant

Yay, finaly the great and the righteous ruler of kingdom of Mawusia, king Dandy the First, can get his glorious and well-equipped (not to menton, highly motivated and trutworthy!) royal guard into action, when those K-potters arrive.. 😀

But yeah, basicaly that NVA mot/mech trooper is what he would propably looked like from mid 60s to mid-late 1980s (and even after that, some of the troops would only had their MPi-KM/KMS replaced by AK-74, and new ammo pouch instead of the old one – though in that picture, it is the new one). The backpack (stürmgepack) is part of the webbing, strapped to yokes with couple of hooks, but basicaly fex. mechanised troops might have removed this due to transport comfortability in BMP (or earlier in BTR-50), so you could produce them, in theory, without.

[noneedtoknow]
    In that picture it is actually, most likely, 1980s-late80s outfit, as the ammo-pouch is the new AK74s pouch, as mentioned.

AK-74 magpouch: https://www.supernova.fi/tuotekuvat/900×600/NVA_AK47.jpg
    Ignore the links name, it is 74.

MPi-KM/AKM magpouch: http://www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/12944.jpg
    [/noneedtoknow]

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by MaahisKuningas90. Reason: Typo fixed

http://thirdworldwargaming.blogspot.fi/

Martin Lefebvre
    Participant

You can never have too much 15mm goodness – who are your VDV going to fight?

As of right now, about 100 or so mujahedin and a pack of Rebel minis contractors who will stand in for assorted western “helpers/teachers”.

What I would really like is for Geoff to make 80s era mujahedin with Blowpipe or Stinger…

But the VDV can always make a wrong turn and end up on the other side of the Iron Curtain for some action against the Canadians once Geoff unleashes them 😉

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Is there much difference between Muj of the 1970s and the 2010s? ( or indeed the 1870s)

Other than the guns themselves.

We already have them with AK, RPK, RPG, etc. Perhaps I just need to add some man portable SAM? SA7, Stinger, or happy with a mixed pack?

Maybe I should make a VDV commander looking at a map?

QRF Models Limited

Sparker
    Participant

Maybe I should make a VDV commander looking at a map?

Danger! Officer with Map!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

From photos, they pretty much look the same.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.