Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic WSS108: Coup d’oeil scenario AAR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for an AAR of one of the “coup d’oeil” scenarios from the latest issue of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy, using the Neil Thomas’ Napoleonic Wargaming rules and Baccus 6mm figures.

Participant

Neil Thomas’ Napoleonic rules?  Now that was a pleasant surprise!

A great fight, and all’s well that ends well, the thin red line holds, just like the real thing.  I do have one question: why did the French push their Hussars forward on the left, ahead of the rest of their line, which caused them to be pounded Allied artillery?  Were they screening the Horse Artillery’s move?

I have received my Napoleonics, but haven’t begun painting them yet, too many other projects going on.  But I can’t wait, and you’re batreps have served up some huge doses of inspiration, so please, keep the Napoleonic batreps coming, especially at this echelon of game.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Hi Jack, many thanks.

Yes, the Hussar regiment was supposed to mask the Horse Artillery until it was unlimbered.  If the British artillery hadn’t been shooting so well, they would have skirmished with their carbines too (they can do this in the Neil Thomas set).  There is an interesting rule that means cavalry can’t charge artillery directly if there is close-order infantry close by.  So it is difficult for the French – which arm are you going to lead with?  The attack on the left was basically a pin to make sure that the assault in the centre could go in at maximum strength without interference from the British right.  This sort of worked (no actual units were lost, which is the currency of victory/defeat in Neil Thomas’ rules) but didn’t do the French any good in the end…

Participant

John,

Gotcha, I figured it was a screening mission, just wanted to check.  I didn’t remember that about not being able to charge arty if close order infantry nearby; of course, like an imbecile, I sold off my copy of the rules…  I think the pinning attack on the French left was a good idea and successful, but the assault, no matter which side, was always going to be tough sledding.  I don’t recall; do the rules factor fighting uphill into the equation?  I imagine it would be hard enough on the attack facing high quality, relatively numerous troops, some in the farm’s walls, and with heavy cavalry just waiting for them, even worse having to fight uphill!

A very entertaining fight and report, please keep posting.  While I enjoy the corps/army-level fights, these lower level scraps are really what does it for me when it comes to Napoleonics.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.