Home Forums WWI WWI over the next 4 years?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel 5 years ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    dhauser
    dhauser
    Participant

So just out of curiosity; who is going to allow themselves to be caught up in the WWI hoopla that will be all over the forums, magazines, the web and conventions for the next few years?

I have a long time fetish, back to High School 1972-74, for 1914 Eastern Front Germany, A-H, Serbia and Russia. I have long wanted to re-fight Jaroslavice, the last great true cavalry action in history, on the table top. The idea of a Russian and Austrian Division Commander each looking at the others Cavalry Division across the field and thinking; alright let’s have at it Old School is really appealing.

Lot’s of open flanks, cavalry all over the place, static defense and open sweeping maneuver suggests really awesome games. Look for Footsore to at least investigate this with Russians, Germans and Austro-Hungarians and most likely British and French as well. Depending upon how it is received will determine how deeply we explore the subject.

I would love to see us do a full range of German East Africa at some point as well.

Any thoughts?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by dhauser dhauser. Reason: clean up formatting

Chickens got livers? I'm gettin' some!

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

I’ve already scratched my itch by gathering together Turkish and ANZAC forces for the Mesopotamian theatre.  Reading accounts, it was very reminiscent of the Peninsular War with machine guns and long range artillery!

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Ascent
    Ascent
    Participant

I would like like to do Amiens 1918 eber since studying it for a staff ride a few years back. The British empire at its peak and the start of the hundred days. Combined arms and movement. It has everything you’d expect from a WWII battle.

Jurgen Leistner
    Participant

I have never really considered doing the EWK but, if I did, I would agree with dhauser that the early months in the East would be interesting as there was plenty of movement and a vast range of troop types.

Jurgen

Anonymous

My IT miniature has a comprehensive range for WW1 including  East Africa , They are a valuable through the Frontline wargaming web site.

Mick Sayce
    Mick Sayce
    Participant

My interest in WWI used to be limited to the Western Front but now I’m leaning more towards the EF using the rather nice looking Pendraken 10 mm chaps. At the moment it’s just one of many projects I’d like to do.

Blog at : http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey Dudes, I’ll be using FOW Great War rules backdated to 1914 in 15mm. Mostly old Minifigs and some QRF miniatures. I have an AAR posted to my facebook page but can’t do links on this computer..

Natholeon
    Participant

I’ve just made a pre-order with Lancashire Games to get 1914 and German and French armies. Like Jonathan, I’ll be using Flames of War. I’m also going to buy the Battlefront figures for 1918.

I’m also very interested in the Eastern Front in 1914 – I have a real love of everything Austro-Hungarian, so it is definitely on my radar, but probably not this year.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I would love to get some of the  Lancashire  figures but can’t order from overseas. I’m more interested in the Western front and Gallipoli. Doing the Frontiers battles now. Mons and The Marne later this month/year.

Altius
    Altius
    Participant

I’ve already got sizeable forces for the Russian Civil War, so it wouldn’t take much to expand it to eastern front WWI. I’m also interested in the war in Africa, maybe on a skirmish level. I can’t imagine a fun game coming from the trench fighting, but then I’ve never tried it, so who knows?

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

It can if you use combined arms be a good game…

Shecky
    Shecky
    Participant

I’m creating a Portable Wargame version for WWI.

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~warden/portable_wargame/

Starting with early war then will work my way through 1918. The good thing about the Portable Wargame is that I don’t need a lot of figures.

quidveritas
    quidveritas
    Participant

I was going to do a year by year “firsts” in aviation.  That went crashing down with my Taube build and my Voisin build.  Got them almost there but the rigging is deeply discouraging stuff (on the Taube).  Much easier to avoid these aircraft (and the whole project).  I know, I know, what a slug!

mjc

dhauser
    dhauser
    Participant

I was going to do a year by year “firsts” in aviation. That went crashing down with my Taube build and my Voisin build. Got them almost there but the rigging is deeply discouraging stuff (on the Taube). Much easier to avoid these aircraft (and the whole project). I know, I know, what a slug! mjc

I was going to Bathtub ( Divisions in place of Corps) the major battles of the Eastern front 1914 with 48 figure battalions. I also am a slug!

Chickens got livers? I'm gettin' some!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I need to paint …a lot more…

Mick A
    Mick A
    Participant

Like George I’m looking at the Mesopotamian theatre, I’ve started getting the Anzacs from Gripping Beast already… 🙂

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Still working on my Minifigs for 1914 frontier battles.

Sparker
    Sparker
    Participant

I was trying to get my Aussie club mates to stage a spectacular for the anniversary of Gallipoli next year, but its all too hard apparently…But we may do some Mesopotamian actions and Pacific stuff…(Yes there were some actions around the German colonies here!)

Other than that I am hoping to organise some of the scalable naval actions – Dogger Bank, and perhaps the Jutland Battle Cruiser action. Some lovely looking 1/1800th models from WTJ are on the way…

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Sparker
    Sparker
    Participant

Well as it goes a couple of the lads were playing a WW1 FOW game set in Mesopotamia last night at the club…Seemed to go well too…

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Please if you can get pics next time…..please.

Sparker
    Sparker
    Participant

Yes neither of us bloggers at the club took pictures as we were both involved in playtesting a commercially sensitive game ourselves so wanted to avoid temptation, but certainly will take some next time…

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hope you can Sparker.

armchairgeneral
    armchairgeneral
    Participant

I got into WW1 when TGW rules came out building up a 1:3/4 British LW infantry battalion in 28mm (approx. 100 figures)

I have since moved over to using Bolt Action. My force at 1:1 is two full strength platoons with supporting weapons as well as probably far too many tanks. 9 at the moment and I plan to get at least two Mark V*s from Scarab Miniatures.

I don’t plan to get much more currently. BA gives a really good game for WW1 with few adaptions needed. I am though looking forward to the imminent release of Scarab Miniatures WW1 rules.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Please post photo’s when you can.

poniatowski
    Participant

I have been a huge WW1 fan since I started war gaming in 82… I cut my teeth on Napoleonics and still love them, but the air war is my first passion. I have since broken into WW1 trench slogging…. I started the land game when Trench Wars came out….. but i have played many other systems up to and including FoW WW1…..

So yes, I am caught up in it.. so much in fact that as convention director for HMGS Fall-In! this year, I have chjosen my theme to be “1914 Home before the leaves fall”….. and will run probably one or two more WW1 themed shows over the next 4 years….

I especially love doing air games…. I prefer to play Canvas Eagles, but have played Aerdrome, Hostile Aircraft and even Wings of War….

I can safely say that I will be doing a huge amount of WW1 gaming over the next four years….

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Very cool Dan, wish I could get to one of the East coast Cons.

poniatowski
    Participant

Well, I looked over the PEL for the show, it is available online now…. there are a nice bunch of WW1 air games being played at the show this year. I will be bringing my usual planes for a pick up game here or lthtere.. late night when I can escape from the day’s work!

The east coast shows are nice, but I would love to hit one on the West coast too as I know so many folks over that way!

I have really been getitng into the 3D printed planes…. I have to say… they are very nice indeed….

I have about 20 of the 3D planes from Shapeways and another 50 or so lead ones from Red Eagle and the American manufacturer. I haven’t bought any lead ones in a while. WIth 3D printing, I think that coudl sound the deathknell for certain types of lead kits.

Dan

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  poniatowski.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Are they 1/144 scale airplanes ??? Er the 3 D printed ones that is.

poniatowski
    Participant

Yes, 1/144th, same scale as WoW… and man, they are nice. I will have ot investigate posting pics here if you want to see some.

The biggest issue is getting decals…. I need agood source for them now as most lead/resin or the Shapeways 3D don’t come with them.

Don’t get me wrong though, I love my lead kits, but if they fall even once, they usually break apart… the 3D ones are fragile too… at least a little bit. The thing is… the larger lead ones are top heavy and require larger bases for stabilization.

The 1/72 planes are pretty stable, but they too, if they go over.. well… it isn’t pretty. It doesn’t happen a lot, but once is enough, especially with the 1/72nd kits.. they are large enough to really detail and even wire up…. when ones goes down for real.. it is a nightmare.

I think th ereal reaosn I went to 1/144th though is aestetics… I use Canvas Eagles and 5″ hexes… the 1/72nd planes are also use din those same size hexes… very pretty, but not so realistic when looking at game scale. In fact, the larger kits, like bombers, etc.. don’t even fit into a 5″ hex even at 1/144th!! Let alone 1/72nd….

My games are still very pretty and you can get soem nice detai on the 1/144th planes. Currently, there are 2-3 makers at Shapeways… and as I said.. I have not gotten a bad plane yet.. (knock on wood… err.. side of head).

p

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool.

Secret Squirrel
    Secret Squirrel
    Participant

Already started. 10mm 1914 Belgian, German and Royal Naval Division; already seen in Exmouth, Devon and also coming to HMS SULTAN Wargames Club; the home of Naval Service gaming.

DON’T TELL SPARKER –  THIS IS A SECRET SQUIRREL MESSAGE 😉

It's me

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !!! Right don’t any one tell Sparker about it….

Secret Squirrel
    Secret Squirrel
    Participant

SShhhhh … this is Mata-Hari Top Level SECRET. 10mm figures from Pendraken seen on tabletop … RN Sailors and Royal Marines shooting Germans (and any Belgians that get in the way)

It's me

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.