Home Forums WWII WWII Campaign: Operation Jupiter, July 1944

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

My son and I played the first two games of Operation Jupiter this past weekend, and here’s the first one. I was playing the British, he the Germans This was a very simple attack-defense scenario, with not a lot of tactical nuance to it: the Brits, having just shelled the hell out of the objective area, the Les Duanes Farm Complex, lined up in the north with tanks in the lead and stormed south, looking to get atop the defenders before they could reorganize themselves. Rather than ‘feel’ the effects of the British arty stonk, the scenario sets it up where the Germans simply don’t have a lot of troops.

**I’m going to do this a little different this time.  The campaign has about 30 scenarios, and rather than make a separate thread for each batrep, I’m just going to use this on thread, adding additional batreps to it as they get played out and written up.

As usual, the game was played using a 5Core variant, this time “Company Command,” and it was done in 10mm, troops from Pendraken, though the armor and guns are prepaints from Takara. This first fight saw A Company of the 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG), led by Major Dillon and his 2iC, Lt Cooman, leading the assult vs the German 1st Company of the the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, led by Captain Sorensen and his 2iC, Lt Weidthaus.

In real life, this occurred 10 July 1944, between: A and C Companies, 5th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division, supported by tanks of B Squadron, 9th Royal Tank Regiment vs 7th Company, 2nd Battalion, 22nd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. In real life the Brits carried out a very quick and relatively easy victory.

A German PaK-40 anti-tank gun (foreground) targets a British Sherman (top center); so much for kiddie luck with the dice! To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-1-les-duanes.html

Success to the Brits, much like the real life battle. I was fairly confident due to being able to knock out both the Hun’s anti-tank guns early on, though I did sweat a bit when I messed up and let a tank get too close (close enough for a squad to rush out and fire a panzerfaust at it), and when the ATG got put back into action. But his firing dice really let him down; each ATG was firing 2K 2S, and I gave the Pzfaust 3K 2S. I think he had a total of 5 shots, totally missing twice, forcing two fallbacks, and immobilizing one tank (and the crew didn’t even bail!). So I’m feeling pretty lucky 😉

Casualties:
    British: 20 WIA/KIA, one Sherman immobilized but recovered.
    German: 30 WIA/KIA, two PaK-40s lost.

And if you really want to see something funny, I actually played this scenario solo a couple years ago, with the same troops but different rules. My terrain may still be humble, but it has come a long way:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/08/first-go-at-operation-jupiter.html

Next up is 5/Dorsets moving on to Horseshoe Wood, where Brit luck didn’t hold up as well…

**EDIT/EDITORS:  Help!  I have no idea why it’s putting asterisks into everywhere I wrote Jupiter.  Is this some form of censoring out what it thinks is a bad word?  Can someone help please?

V/R,
    Jack

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Just Jack.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by Just Jack.
    Shaun TraversShaun Travers
    Participant

My post on Operation J in January got the star treatment as well. No idea why.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Sorry, TWW has a censor list, bizarrely it has just three words in it.
    Saturn, Jupiter and Pluto…

?

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #2, Horseshoe Woods

All,

On to the second fight of Operation Jupiter. In the last fight, A Company of The 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG), led by Major Dillon and his 2iC, Lt Cooman, successfully assaulted the Les Duanes Farm Complex, kicking out the German 1st Company of the The 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, led by Captain Sorensen and his 2iC, Lt Weidthaus. Following on from the farm complex, 5th WNRRHCG is getting closer to Hill 112 (the ultimate objective of the operation), and must clear the nearby Horseshoe Wood. This fight will see Major Travers, and his 2iC, Lt Rownan, lead their B Company to clear the wood of the German 2nd Company, led by Captain Keipers and Lt Teigner.

Real life, it’s still 10 July 1944, and it was D Company, 5th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division, supported by tanks of B Squadron, 9th Royal Tank Regiment, vs 5th Company, 2nd Battalion, 22nd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. Once again, I should be using Churchills but I don’t have any, so Shermans will have to do. In real life the Brits were able to push the Germans out of the wood, but they took very heavy casualties in vicious, hand-to hand combat.

Total chaos, the fight devolves into a fierce melee at point blank range in the forest (note the Sherman at top left is burning). To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-2-horseshoe.html

Fights 3 and 4 happened this morning, next batrep coming up as soon as possible. And where’s Kyote??? Someone tell him he’s a hero 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

Sorry, TWW has a censor list, bizarrely it has just three words in it. Saturn, Jupiter and Pluto… ?

What about Uranus?

:/

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer how did I miss this ??? Thanks I needed something like this today!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #3, Chateau de Fontaine

All,

We are now upon the third fight in Operation Jupiter, the British assault on the Chateau de Fontaine. This follows the successful assault on Les Duanes Farm complex by A Company, 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG). This was followed by 2nd Company of the the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer denying the Brit attempt on the Horseshoe Wood, though ultimately the Germans were forced to fall back due to a pending assault by an overwhelmingly large British force. Now we have C Company, 5th WNRRHCG, led by Major Lemmuel and Lt Boggler, facing off against 3rd Company, 457th PzGrenSuK, led by Captain Rolfbertsen and Lt Eichtoriel, as the Brits look to evict the Germans from the Chateau.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s C Company, 5th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division, supported by tanks of B Squadron of 9th Royal Tank Regiment, vs 6th and 8th Companies, 2nd Battalion, 22nd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. In real life the Brits were able to take the Chateau, but they took very heavy casualties and straggling Germans remained in the local area, harassing follow-on British troops, to the point some of them had to halt and deploy to deal with the German troops, which is actually the subject of the next fight.

British tanks advance in the center, with Germans defending the hedgerows to either side of the road. The German Panzerschreck team launches a rocket…
    To see if it strikes home, and how the fight went, please check the blot at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-3-chateau-de.html

Two more batreps to come from this weekend, so stay tuned.

And anyone seen Rod? He’s not going to be happy 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Yeah Rod is MIA, but I’m just so happy that mortars work in 5 core I don’t care!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Hope Rod’s alright, I’m sure he’s just busy with school.

And mortars work fine in 5Core you knucklehead! :/

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #4, Wicked Wyverns

All,

We are now upon the fourth fight in Operation Jupiter, as the Chateau de Fontaine has fallen and British follow-on troops are streaming by to get to the front. This follows the successful assault on Les Duanes Farm complex by A Company, 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG). This was followed by 2nd Company of the the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer denying the Brit attempt on the Horseshoe Wood, though ultimately the Germans were forced to fall back due to a pending assault by an overwhelmingly large British force. Then C Company, 5th WNRRHCG, led by Major Lemmuel and Lt Boggler, faced off against 3rd Company, 457th PzGrenSuK, led by Captain Rolfbertsen and Lt Eichtoriel, and the Brits easily took the Chateau.

Now Major Phillips’ D Company is moving past the Chateau on its way to the front, but it is suffering at the hands of stragglers from Captain Rolfbertsen’s 3rd Company. When Major Phillips’ adjutant is hit by a sniper in mid-sentence, Phillips turns to his 2iC, Lt Canham, and directs him to grab a detachment of infantry and have them sweep back through the area around the Chateau, where Captain Rolfbertsen’s 2iC, Lt Eichtoriel, is in directing the resistance of the stay behind troops. Additionally, Lt Eichtoriel has gotten into contact with a nearby 88mm FlaK, who promised to support his troops as much as possible.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s members of the 6th Battalion, 7th Somerset Light Infantry Regiment, 129th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division vs 6th and 8th Companies, 2nd Battalion, 22nd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. In real life, a British Colonel was killed by an ’88’ shell, and snipers were making life very difficult, so 7th/Somerset LI dispatched a group of riflemen and snipers to clear the area, which they promptly did.

He’s had to watch his men be torn to pieces by the German snipers and field piece, and with hot tears burning furrows down his red cheeks, Leftenant “Mad Andy” Canham (bottom center) pulls his Webley Service Revolver, dashes forward, and fires all six shots at Sniper #2 (top center)…

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-4-wicked.html

Still one more batrep to get written up from this past weekend, and looking to get three or four more in this weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

I think the Boy will need a win soon. Great AAR and I love the 15mm houses and troops !!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks John.

And I’m generally pretty heartless, but even I’m starting to feel bad.  Having said that, I don’t want to give it to him, he’ll know.  It’s not that I’ve been using superior tactics or anything, he’s just had crappy dice and I’ve had hot dice.

I hope it evens out, but I’m scared of the two extremes: I don’t wanna keep pounding him, but I also don’t want it to totally flip and reels off 20 straight victories on me 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

You can fudge the victory conditions so he gets a win in ……

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #5, The Ridge

All,

We are now upon the fifth fight in Operation Jupiter, the British assault on The Ridge. So far the British have successfully evicted the Germans from their initial defensive positions at and around the Chateau de Fontaine, and now the Germans are falling back on their next defensive line at and around the village of Eterville. Between the Chateau and Eterville, the 4th Company of the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, commanded by Captain Eireserb and his 2iC Lt Tokapiksee, is manning an outpost line on an unnamed ridge. It falls to Major Phillips’ D Company, with Lt Canham as his 2iC, of the 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG), to clear the path into the village of Eterville.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s 4th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division vs remnants of the Panzergrenadier Regiment, 1st SS Panzer Division. In real life the Brits very quickly overran the ragtag German outpost line, encountering almost no resistance.

British (foreground) taking heavy fire, having a hard time getting off their start line. The Firefly returns fire on the enemy emplacements on the ridge line. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-5-ridge.html

Well, I’m caught up on batreps for now, at least. Five games in and we’re still going strong, having a great time. I had a little negative look at doing this before I started, with knowing how it would keep me from making progress on campaigns I’ve already got going, as well as painting (all my spare time is playing and writing these up), but I’m glad I did this, the boy and I are having a great time.

More to come.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Time spend with Kids is always a win.Enjoy them now, they grow up quicker than you think they will.

Just Jack
    Participant

Indeed.

Still no Rod, eh?  I’ll have to email him.

V/R,

Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Huh maybe he is on spring break.

Just Jack
    Participant

Nah, he’s too old for that.

So are you 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #6, The Edge of Town

All,

We are now upon the sixth fight in Operation Jupiter, the British assault on The Ridge. So far the British have successfully evicted the Germans from their initial defensive positions at and around the Chateau de Fontaine, and now are attacking the next German defensive line at and around the village of Eterville. As the British push to the outskirts of Eterville, it falls to the 1st Company of the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, commanded by Captain Sorensen and his 2iC Lt Weidthaus. In the attack we have Major Dillon’s A Company, with Lt Cooman as his 2iC, of the 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG). In the opening attack of Operation Jupiter, Major Dillon’s company evicted Captain Sorensen’s from the Les Duanes Farm Complex.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s 4th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division vs 1st Battalion, 22nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. In real life the Brits were bombed by their own air force, but quickly regrouped to fight into the center of town, relying heavily on the Churchills and Crocodiles to shoot the place up.

British infantry push forward into the town, looking to close assault a German halftrack, but a nearby Panzer Mark IV react fires, hoping to drive the Tommies back and save his comrades. The fight in the town devolved into a horrendous melee; to see how it went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/02/operation-jupiter-batrep-6-edge-of-town.html

Well, we got three fights in this past weekend, and they were fantastic. This is the first of them, two more to come.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Allrighty !!! Glad the Boy won one !!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Traitor…

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #7, Chateau de Eterville

All,

During the initial attack on Eterville, the Brits fought their way into the village, but were stonewalled and forced to fall back after incredibly ferocious hand to hand combat. However, the ensuing air and artillery barrage and follow-on tank-infantry assault easily brushed aside the few remaining defenders. This left B Company, under Major Travers and with Lt Rownan as his 2iC, of the 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG), to push the attack through to the next objective, the Chateau de Eterville. The chateau is defended by the 2nd Company of the 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, commanded by Captain Keipers and his 2iC Lt Teigner.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s A and B Companies of 4th Battalion, Dorset Regiment, 130th Brigade, 43rd Wessex Division vs 2nd Battalion, 22nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, 10th SS Panzer Division. In real life the Brits were able to take the Chateau, capturing the battalion surgeon and aid post for the German 2/22 PzGren Regiment.

Surrounded by pinned and suppressed troops and Bren Carriers, and with a knocked out M4 Sherman, M10 Wolverine, and Bren Carrier nearby, an M10 (bottom left) fires on the German Panther (top center). To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/03/operation-jupiter-batrep-7-chateau-de.html

The boy is in good spirits, having won one of two fights this weekend (so far). But we played a third, and the rubber match was another knock-down, drag out fight. I’ll post it as soon as I can.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Buy the Boy some Cowboy Boots !!!! YeeHaa !!!

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

Hi guys. I ain’t dead yet! I have been quite ill however and have been unable to keep up with things like wargaming.

Cheers and I’ll read and write responses when I’m feeling up to it.

Rod.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Take your time Rod, heal up and, get back with us.

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote – Cowboy boots???  Whaddaya talking about, ya old hillbilly?

Rod – Glad you’re still alive man, hang in there.  Whenever you’re feeling up to it, go ahead and bask in the glow of my ethereal gaming experience 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Batrep #8, Counterattack

All,

The Brits have fought their way deep into the village of Eterville, and the Germans are determined to do something about it. Captain Rolfbertsen and his 2iC, Lieutenant Eichtoriel have been ordered to prepare and lead their unit, the 3rd Company, 457th PanzerGrenadier Abteilung Sauer und Krauthammer, in a counterattack supported by armor, in order to evict the British. C Company of the 5th Westchesterfords North Riding Rangers of the Highland Coldshire Guards (5th WNRRHCG), under Major Lemmuel and his 2iC, Lieutenant Boggler, stand in their way.

In real life it’s 10 July 1944, and it’s elements of the 9th Battalion, Cameronian Regiment (or at least that’s how I’m reading 9/Cameronians), 45th Infantry Brigade, 15th Scottish Infantry Division vs a hastily thrown together battle group of panzergrenadiers and armor from the 12th SS Panzer Division. In real life the Germans launched a hasty attack into a fluid situation and soon lost momentum among the hedges and buildings of Eterville.

It’s a knife fight in the village of Eterville! A British Sherman (bottom left) fires on a German Stug III (top center). A Sdkfz 251 burns next to the Stug, while German infantry are in the building at top right and British infantry are in the building at top left, with another Skdfz 251 (top left) beside them. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/03/operation-jupiter-batrep-8-counterattack.html

Man, these fights have been awesome!!! The boy won, but I still had a great time, even though he took two of three games from me this past weekend. It’s been a blast, and I can’t wait until next weekend to get some more fights in. More to come!

V/R,
    Jack

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Just Jack.
    kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

The Boy know how to use a mortar !!!!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.