Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Y U NO paint river XXX?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

I am a brown river with a hint of green guy myself.
    What about you?

OB
    Participant

Sometimes I’m a grey river with streaks of blue guy.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Thuseld
    Participant

My battles do not take place near rivers…

Norm S
    Participant

Yep, converting my waterways to be ‘less’ blue.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Blue and very dark blue kinda girl here.  Went through a brown phase some years ago, but the call of the blue was too strong.  No one ever mistakes blue for a wet road.

Splod
    Participant

Currently sorting out repainting my Battle in a Box Rivers to be brown with a hint of green! The blue was a bit too stark on table.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

I have repainted some of my river sections non-opaque brown at the shoreline transitioning to a lightened olive green wash and then to a greenish-blue centre with all regions highlighted and with some white-grey tipped foam, eddies and wakes around obstacles to the river’s flow. I am also trying to paint my commercially purchased river sections to make the water look more transparent in order to give a sense of depth but to no avail yet.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

MartinR
    Participant

My clear plastic river sections are tinted a greenish blue, but my proper mdf river sections are blue. Everyone knows water is blue!

Neither are as blue as the blue of the Hexon river pieces though.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

General Slade
    Participant

I saw a picture on a blog once of a wargame river made using playing cards turned face down so the blue and white backs were showing. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Keith Barker
    Participant

I mix equal quantities of  leaf-green, medium grey and white and paint the river. Then I create a water effect using Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel. Applying quite thickly and working with a Sculpting Tool to give a running water effect.

Other colours would work for other rivers, brown is the obvious choice for Vietnamn I belive. Basicly anything but bright blue please!

And although you didn’t ask, I really like terrain where the river/water level is lower than the surrounding field. Just placing rivers on top of a flat board doesn’t really do it for me.

Keith Barker
    Participant

@Tim

We use Kalistra hex terrain. If you turn a hex upside down, you can use the hollow inside to make a deep river. We have also used the same idea for lake/sea shores. Hexes don’t work for everyone, but are great for Commands & Colors Ancients/Napoleonics. I wrote a step by step guide how to make “sunken” rivers for Kalistra hexes here!

An idea what it looks like:

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Depends upon where the game is taking place.  I have brown and greenish brown rivers and whatnot for Vietnam, some grey/bluish for other areas as well as “clear” (though it has boulders in it).  Used to have some that was painted very dark blue/black for a swamp game we used to play but left them at a fella’s house that burned down.  Not a big loss, as far as terrain goes, but sadly the house caught fire during the 2 day uncovered span between shifting to a new policy due to a lightning strike and the family lost everything.
    Anywhoo, never been a “blue river” guy myself, though have played a “hunt the mammoth” game where the rivers were blue due to the big glacier at the edge of the table.  That was pretty cool.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Northern Monkey
    Participant

Blue and very dark blue kinda girl here. Went through a brown phase some years ago, but the call of the blue was too strong. No one ever mistakes blue for a wet road.

LOL, this is so true I have a bunch of River/roads that I no longer use after a mate tried to advance his convoy of vehicles in a nice column along a River, I now ensure there is enough blue in the mix to avoid that happening again!

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

McKinstry
    Participant

Both as either the mood strikes or I feel the call of accuracy over pretty.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

James Manto
    Participant

I have a big river (modelled banks, water  effect resin, reeds, plus sections with a mill, a bridge and a small islsnd) which is green.

I also use strips of clear plastic with the underside painted blue

My irrigation ditches for Afghanistan are brown.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.