Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Yet another attempt at a 3mm terrain system (sigh)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I have done so many different terrain systems for 3mm that I have lost count. The best, so far, has been my “pin and pva mat” system, where terrain is pinned onto a PVA mat.

This is a new system that I am doing over the holidays. It is based on MDF squares (15×15 or 30x30cm) and it attempts to make modules without overdoing it.

Basically, the squares are based with steel paint, then painted and minimally flocked. Different colors of flock can be used to outline terrain features which can be designated on a scenario by scenario basis with 3D terrain.

This is my test piece and, as such, it is very busy: lots of terrain, just to test ideas.

The final modules will be much more sparse, because most terrain will be built on magnetized bases and just stuck to the board, as needed.

Here’s the module without the 3D pieces. Note that it is also subtly demarcated into 5cm squares for use with grid systems:

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Steelonsand
    Participant

Looking really good as a start – the subtle green ‘dots’ are a neat idea – although they might soon get hidden with a load of figure bases moving around ? – as always, am jealous of your talent in depicting realistic looking landscapes in the tinier scales – those buildings in the photos are lovely.

I’ve wanted to try similar modular terrain for the tinies – even been looking at some of the old GW Mighty/Planetary Empires tiles recently for a sort of Ogre come mini-mini Battletech board……

will follow your progress with interest!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Always a nice setup from you! It’s funny you’re thinking of 3mm terrain as I’m doing the same right now, although what I’m considering involves 1/4” laser cut plywood hexes with magnetic backing – and a 24×36” sheet of stainless steel.

We’ll just SEE…

I want these to be portable and can’t see myself hauling around a steel sheet to gaming venues. So what I am doing is putting felt on the back of the tiles. They will be laid down on a piece of felt covering the table. There will be more than enough friction between the two pieces of felt to lock the tiles into place.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Always the level-headed one, you. I’ve considered neoprene rubber myself but it’s a question of how much patience I’m likely to have for cutting. The tiles do double duty as Battletech-style “levels.”

hammurabi70
    Participant

Basically, the squares are based with steel paint, then painted and minimally flocked.  The final modules will be much more sparse, because most terrain will be built on magnetized bases and just stuck to the board, as needed.

So does the magnetism work through a to level of paint or is each terrain piece given a magnet beneath it?  It is not clear to me if you paint over the steel paint first and then add terrain.  If so the magnetic effect works through the layer of paint?

The magnetism works through paint, but not through flocking, so the “production” version of these squares will have much less flocking.

Thomaston
    Participant

You might want to try some Iron oxide powder. I make a paste with PVA and paint a base layer before I put on colors and ground cover. It’s a lighter option to steel paper and works quite well through flock with mini neodymium magnets.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

I am using a pre-mixed iron powder paint, Thomaston. Although if yours works through flocking… but have your tried that on picoscale yet? I am sure 28mm or even 15mm stuff would stick to this through flocking: 3mm figures on 10mm x 10mm bases, however…

That said, you have been my main inspiration for this project! I asked myself “how small can I get an ancients battle without losing the visual effect of mass?”

Turns out it’s 60cm x 40cm for Hail Caesar or To the Strongest and a mere 30cm x 30cm for DBA. That would be four of the above terrain modules with 32 figure 20mm x 7.5-20mm stands.

Lunchbox DBA!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.