Home Forums General General You know all that stuff you're going to get around to finishing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

This bloke went a bit overboard 🙂

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/staffordshire/lichfield/2018/07/29/2000-model-aircraft-kits-that-never-launched-going-under-hammer-at-lichfield-auction/

I’d love to have a good old root through that lot.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

The Express and Star. Not read that for many a year…

But yeah, that is a horde.

You could scratchbuild / kitbash some epic huge things with all those bits.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

The worrying thing is, looking at those photographs, I’ve built a lot of those over the years – and haven’t got one of them now!

That’s a lot of time and effort (not to mention exposure to noxious fumes) to just disappear.

I suspect the discovery of air rifles, circa age 12, had a detrimental impact on the collection. I know a lot of Airfix tank armour proved incapable of withstanding a .22 round (although oddly resilient to .177).

Mike
    Keymaster

No way man. I air rifled paper targets. All that damage. The horror.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Let me copy something I posted to Facebook which touches on this.

Tsundoku is Japanese for the habit of collecting books one never reads.

Longer explanation here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-44981013

On reading the article I realise that I increasingly indulge in tsunomochanoheitai … the collecting of toy soldiers one never paints or plays with!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Etranger
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of those kits in my stash!  However, I don’t have 2,000 in it, despite what SWMBO thinks….

Given that the boxes look to be in near mint condition, the widow should get a tidy return for those. As an  example (& because I built one once) that Frog Flying Fortress will be worth a bit if it is. There’s one currently for sale in a tatty box for 25 quid.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Etranger.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Etranger.
    grizzlymc
    Participant

FIFTY DOLLARS?  Bloody hell, it’ll be cheaper to buy the real thing soon.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

All the pix look like 1:72 scale.  Too bad there didn’t appear to be any 1/100…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

My dad was that way – but he gave them all to me when I was a kid.  One at a time – he had them stashed in the garage and other places.  I loved building those kits – my dad always helped me and brought them out in the summertime.  A really happy memory.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.