Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic "You want the Old Skool!"

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

“You can’t handle the Old Skool!”

Airfix Warriors from the dawn of time have at it…

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Mike
    Keymaster

Should there be images here?

Steelonsand
    Participant

You’re obviously not old enough to ‘see’ the figures with your mind’s eye – it’s like the 60s – if you remember it, then you weren’t there ….. Or maybe Harry is just having a senior moment  …….

For the benefit of the uneducated among us, I will translate…

I haven’t took the piccys yet!

John D Salt
    Participant

For the benefit of the uneducated among us, I will translate…

I haven’t took the piccys yet!

Well now I’m all over-excited imagining the forthcoming delights of monochrome (dare we hope for sepia tints?) photographs of the Airfix Infantry Combat Group locked in deadly combat with the first-pattern German infantry, in a terrain of lichen and Merit trees. How many days before the prints come back from the chemist? Or do you have your own dark room?

All the best,

John.

jeffers
    Participant

Pink Guards band & Colour Party….?

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

“You want black and white?”

“You can’t handle black and white!”

1973-ish!!!

Same little chaps, 1982-ish…

zippyfusenet
    Participant

I think I attended that school, never graduated though.

Very impressive setup. What were the rules used? That mounting tickles a memory…Napoleonique? You couldn’t fit modern figures onto those stands.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Too long ago Zippy, I can’t remember!

What I really like are the hills that seem to be lightly carved from solid blocks of flower-arranging foam. 😉

You had a fancy set up, Harry. I was using books for hills. Not cloth covered, neither.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Don’t mention them bleedin’ hills, nearly got me divorced they did!

They were carved, based then a mixture of green poster paint, wood glue, sand and sawdust mixed up to texture ’em. This was going spiffingly in the kitchen (Herself being at work) with the fruit of my loins, been given an offcut, paintbrush and a tub of mixture to keep him occupied… he stippled away energetically, just like Daddio.

Things were going so well Yours Truly got lulled into a false sense of security, not noticing that Minime had gone quiet. I turned to encourage him to see, horror of horrors, he’d abandoned the offcut and had fetched the giant balloon he’d got from the Funfair a couple of days before, it was now covered in half a ton of green gunk and he was stippling like a lunatic…

“Noooooo!!!”

Shouted Daddio…

“KABOOOOM!!!”

Went the fookin’ balloon!

The entire kitchen, master wargamer and apprentice turned gunk green and the clock showed Herself home in half an hour. To be fair I made a valiant fist of rebuilding the kitchen, but in my panic overlooked one thing, Herself’s favourite leather jacket, draped over a radiator. I spotted it two minutes before ETA, and attacked it maniacally with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water. It was one of those distressed leather ones and all I managed to do was drive the green gunk into every nook and cranny. Ten minutes later the sodding coat’s distressed state was nothing compared to mine.

Herself, despite a rearguard action on my part Marshal Ney himself would have been proud of, was having none of it. Seeing the mayhem he’d caused, treacherous underthing, stabbed me in the back and started caterwauling…

So ‘world’s worst dad’, got added to my list of dastardlies. I was in the doghouse for months because of them soddin’ hills.

ian pillay
    Participant

Harry that is one lovely set up and an even better story! I can imagine the mess…..

Tally-Ho!

willz
    Participant

Old school heaven, excellent story and thanks for sharing Harry.  Those photo’s take me back to “Tower Ramparts” secondary school in Ipswich circa 1971-1972, we had a wargame club at school.  Them were the days.

Harry that is one lovely set up and an even better story! I can imagine the mess…..

The lad didn’t get any better with the march of time, fast forward to his late teens…

“Dad, I’ve joined with Vera.”

“Hope you used a condom. Your mother will take a very dim view of that when I grass you up. That Vera’s got a right reputation on the Estate!”

“No dickhead, the Victory in Europe Reenactment Association, I’m going to be an elite Airborne Soldier.”

I thought this a splendid idea, improve his personal hygiene, get him to stand up straight, and most importantly knock some sense into him. Some say two out of three ain’t bad… and they’d be wrong!

Some weeks later, I’m watching footie, Herself’s at work and brayn of Britain’s in the kitchen sulking because I won’t let him blanco his webbing in the sink, even I’m not that daft!

“KABOOOOM!!!”

The lad’s morphed into a Zulu and this time the kitchen’s turned black… completely.

“That wasn’t supposed to happen, they told me if you put yer tin of boot polish in a saucepan of water and warm it up, you’ll get a right shine on your boots!”

Babbles Dabulamanzi.

“You’re supposed to take the lid off first you stoopid twat!!!”

I looked at the clock… ETA ten minutes…

Meanwhile back at the Napoleonic Wars, ten minutes ago in The New Emporium by the Seaside…

No CGI has been used in this production…

irishserb
    Participant

Harry has to get TWW’s “Best Thread of the Year “ award , both for the pics and the stories.

Absolutely fantastic!

Modesty forbids, oh, all right then I accept…

there’s only one more disaster story left from our Kursed Kitchen though!

jeffers
    Participant

I’ve just laughed my wotsits off! *

Before I attempt anything now I always follow the safety instructions to the letter i.e. make sure the wife is out of the house. Everything else is an acceptable risk.

*no great loss at my age.

Hehehehe…. So that circled mounted officer (Nappie hisself?) has had a field command for what, 45 to 50 years now?

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

John D Salt
    Participant

Wonderful stuff. I came for the lichen and Merit trees, and stayed for the stories of kitchen explosion disasters. I hope the third detonation ditty will be forthcoming. Who else remembers the instructions in Featherstone’s original “War Games” on how to melt lead on the stove, and how to be sure no moisture remained in the plaster moulds, for fear of splatttering the ceiling?

Surely the moral is that all wargamers should have their own dedicated hobby room, or shed.

All the best,

John.

Hehehehe…. So that circled mounted officer (Nappie hisself?) has had a field command for what, 45 to 50 years now?

Yep, Napoleon I has been campaigning for 48 years!

So have these fellows…

“Balls to this lark for a game o’ Sowjers!”

jeffers
    Participant

That bloke must have a hernia by now.

The British must capture the strategically important high ground to their front while denying the road junction to the French, who must in turn deny the hill to Wellington’s men and also take the crossroads…

Both sides begin to deploy and advance. Serious first blood goes to the French as their Grand Battery takes the Black Watch under a heavy fire, they waver and His Grace the Duke of Wellington, rallies them. A splendid volley from the Highlanders stops the 1st Grenadiers of the Old Guard in their tracks! The Emperor personally gallops up to join his ‘Grumblers’.

What’s not to like about a looming point blank volleyfest!!!???

In the swirling Cavalry fight the Curryasar General, Marcel de Tosspot, is cut down by  the 10th’s Colonel, Harry Faversham, who’s lost wot passes for his wits and joining the fight like a common Trooper.

willz
    Participant

Excellent stuff Harry, keep it coming.

jeffers
    Participant

That’s because Airfix British Hussars have a significant weight advantage over the French Cuirassiers. Can’t wait until the kettledrummer kicks off…

Aye, it’s true, Harry’s a heavyweight OK. Thing is though most of the fat’s between his ears!

“There’s something wrong with our bloody muskets today!”

His Grace the Duke of Wellington growled to an aide. A devastating exchange of close range volley fire had broken three of his Battalions. Peering into the battle smoke, His Grace, was unable to discern no similar disaster befalling the enemy…

“Vive L’Empereur!”

Echoed around the field, a tad premature as it turned out, as the British 10th and 15th Hussars drove the French Cavalry back in rout. His Grace ordered the reserves into the breach in the French line…

“Hard pounding Gentlemen!”

The ‘pounding’ proved too much for His Grace, hit on the bonce by a spent ball he was carried from the field. Demoralised the British units gave ground till only Harry and The Coldstream Guards were left, they held the road doggedly till night came, then fell back leaving the field to the victorious French.

willz
    Participant

Beautiful stuff Harry, back to the 70’s again.  You spoil me, plus it stirring me to paint some 20mm plastic Napoleonic helppppppppppppppppppppppp…….

Resistance is futile…

“Gordon, I desire the Highland Brigade advance to the crest.”

“As you wish Sir Thomas. Piper Major… Scotland For Ever!”

“Wellington’s centre is broken. Inform the Emperor it is time to send in his Old Guard!”

willz
    Participant

V nice.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.