Home Forums General General Your mysteries of military history

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Do you have things that you have tried to figure out for ages?

Does the information elude you? Let’s talk about it!

Maybe someone will pipe in and it’ll turn out the information was there all along. Then you’ll feel smarter (and a little dumber for not noticing).
    Or maybe you’ll just feel better venting.

Mine are very simple:

A:
    How were trench shot guns issued to Americans in WW1 ?
    How many were available to a company/battalion/something else, how were they parcelled out, how many per squad if issued etc. etc. etc.

Firearms books I’ve perused will talk at length about the weapon, its efficiency and German outrage but… nothing else.

B:
    Federov Avtomat.
    Not a common weapon, but how was it actually employed?
    As a light machine gun? A rifle? As a team weapon? Something else entirely?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

How did pike and shot armies actually work?

Because intuitively, it seems to be warfare designed by children. “Put all the horsies all together on the sides, then all the men in the middle with all the men with spears all together and the men with guns all together, and it’s all nice and tidy, and…”

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I’ve read a couple of books discussing it, including Haythornthwaites English Civil War book and I’m still not really certain how it functions “For real”.

Nordic Weasel Games

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I’ve read a couple of books discussing it, including Haythornthwaites English Civil War book and I’m still not really certain how it functions “For real”.

Precisely. I’m not too sure the people actually doing it knew either. 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

“Listen, I don’t want to be here any more than you do, but if we just herd our guys towards their guys, they’re bound to figure it out, right? “

“Great, we’ll call it Swedish Drill if they end up losing, just to cover things up”

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike Headden
    Participant

How effective were Sumerian donkey carts? And if the answer is “not very” why in Nergal’s name did they have so many of them?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Yeah. The pike and shot armies one gets me too. Another one: how did the Roman legionary “chekerboard” formation actually work in practice?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

James Manto
    Participant

Roman checkerboard for me.

Roman line exchange.

How can anyone get out of a battle with less than 50% casualties?

Chris Pringle
    Participant

The freaking differences between the Toldi I, II, and IIa (or is it IIA?). III, of which 12 were built I’m cool with.

Oh, Tim, that’s easy: successive upgrades in armour and armament.
    Toldi I (k.hk. A20) – first variant armed with 20 mm gun, 80 made.
    Toldi II (k.hk. B20) – variant with thicker front armour, 110 made.
    Toldi IIa (k.hk. B40) – modification developed in 1942, armed with 40 mm gun – 80 tanks of earlier variant were rearmed this way.
    Toldi III (k.hk. C40) – improved variant, only 12 made.
    And very cute they are too. I loved painting 3-colour markings on 3-colour camo in 1/300 scale …
    Chris
    Bloody Big BATTLES!
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Why didn’t the Germans just encircle Stalingrad and starve out the Russians?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I’m guessing that the Volga was a bit of a problem. That and establishing a line of supply and communications as the rest of the German forces head for the ultimate objective – Baku and the oil fields.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Loads – Pike and Shot for one (several actually), but one that is always coming back to niggle me is the T-10 heavy tank – did it really turn up in the Syrian and/or Egyptian armies in the Six Days War? People keep saying it did and you see loads of them in wargame armies for the war but where are the tanks/photographs?

I am pretty sure they were never exported but it won’t stop tales of them causing the Israelis lots of trouble (think poorly identified IS-3) and it won’t go away.

(John Salt will be along in a minute to tell me he has one on his front lawn)

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

It’s good to see that it’s not just me who is confused by pike and shot…

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Did T-44 actually see service at the end of WW2 or no ? Every book I read disagrees with the previous one, if it mentions the vehicle at all.

Nordic Weasel Games

What brand of whiskey did U.S. Grant actually drink?

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Were German tankers actually given meth?

Nordic Weasel Games

Etranger
    Participant

I’m guessing that the Volga was a bit of a problem. That and establishing a line of supply and communications as the rest of the German forces head for the ultimate objective – Baku and the oil fields.

They didn’t need to do any of it except mask the Russian formations with a ‘flank guard’ whilst driving into the Caucasus.  There was absolutely no reason to go anywhere near Stalingrad, except for Hitler’s obsession with the name’s symbolism.

Etranger
    Participant

Were German tankers actually given meth?

Yes.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/crystal-meth-origins-link-back-to-nazi-germany-and-world-war-ii-a-901755.html

RAF and USAAF crew were also given similar agents.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Etranger.
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Making amphetamine available to troops in WWII is hardly a closely guarded secret. Benzedrine was given to US and British tankers too, but only on the authority of an officer…

This is probably a reliable source – King’s College.

Amphetamines and the Second World War: Stimulating Interest in Drugs and Warfare

Bear in mind that amphetamine wasn’t a Class A then.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

Do other nationalities’ AFVs have the equivalent of the British boiling vessel (BV)?

In WWII, I believe tanks often had telephones on the back to allow infantry to communicate with the crew. Do modern AFVs still have them, and if so, which ones?

Military history author

General Slade
    Participant

At Waterloo, why didn’t Napoleon just ignore Hougoumont?

Russell Phillips
    Participant

At least some histories seem to think that the attack on Hougoumont was only intended as a diversion. That seems to be debated, though, and I’ve never seen a definitive answer.

Military history author

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Ignoring the place would presumably also have exposed the French to fire in the flank as they advanced up the slopes?

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Making amphetamine available to troops in WWII is hardly a closely guarded secret. Benzedrine was given to US and British tankers too, but only on the authority of an officer…

This is probably a reliable source – King’s College.

Amphetamines and the Second World War: Stimulating Interest in Drugs and Warfare

Bear in mind that amphetamine wasn’t a Class A then.

Oh huh, thanks for sharing the picture. It always seemed like something that could be urban legend 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Chris Pringle
    Participant

The freaking differences between the Toldi I, II, and IIa (or is it IIA?). III, of which 12 were built I’m cool with.

Oh, Tim, that’s easy: successive upgrades in armour and armament.
    Toldi I (k.hk. A20) – first variant armed with 20 mm gun, 80 made. Toldi II (k.hk. B20) – variant with thicker front armour, 110 made. Toldi IIa (k.hk. B40) – modification developed in 1942, armed with 40 mm gun – 80 tanks of earlier variant were rearmed this way. Toldi III (k.hk. C40) – improved variant, only 12 made.
    And very cute they are too. I loved painting 3-colour markings on 3-colour camo in 1/300 scale …
    Chris
    Bloody Big BATTLES!

🙂 Thanks Chris, but it’s a lot harder than that, for example how to tell a I from a II. Was there an uparmouring? Some sites say yes, some no. A couple of model companies , IBG in 1/72 and Hobby Boss in 1/35 produce models but show the same turret as the I (correct) but the uparmoured glacis of the 2a (which some sites call 2A) with two rectangular access hatches and no central light versus a single right side grill and armoured centre light. I have found no photographic evidence for such a configuration. The more you look to try and get armour thicknesses to try and differentiate between the I and II for war game stats, the deeper the proverbial rabbit hole becomes. 😀 LOL All the best and Merry Christmas. PS, I’m making headway.

I just wrote a long reply, then the Forum decided not to recognise me and lost it … abbreviated version again here. I should have known better than to trust Wikipedia!

My friend Csaba Becze gives the answer in his book “Magyar Steel”; there is more detail in Bonhardt, Sarhidai and Winkler, “A magyar kiralyi honvedseg fegyverzete”. The main difference between Toldi I and Toldi II was not armour but simply that Toldi II used stronger Hungarian-made torsion springs instead of weak German ones. The other was that Toldi II used an R-5/a radio with rod antenna instead of Toldi I’s R-5 with arc antenna.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

General Slade
    Participant

At least some histories seem to think that the attack on Hougoumont was only intended as a diversion. That seems to be debated, though, and I’ve never seen a definitive answer.

I’ve seen that suggested too but if it was it seems to have been the French rather than the Anglo-Allies who ended up getting diverted.

Ignoring the place would presumably also have exposed the French to fire in the flank as they advanced up the slopes?

But isn’t that what skirmishers are for?  You cover your flanks with skirmishers to draw the fire of the troops in the Chateau and then just march on past?

Here’s one I don’t get: why does it seem that every country in the world except the U.S. has trouble with catapult technology for their aitrcraft carriers? This dosen’t seem like too difficult a thing to engineer, but apparently it’s harder than building a rocket or an atomic bomb.

Why?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

The Royal Navy invented the steam catapult, but then scrapped all its large carriers. There wasn’t a need, so development stopped and the RN invested in VSTOL/STOAR aircraft.

France’s CATOBAR on her carriers seems to work well enough. The Russian Mig29 and Su33 use full throttle and a rolling take off.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

This seems as good a place as any.

Could WW1 era tanks turn in place or did they have to “wheel” when turning?

Nordic Weasel Games

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Making amphetamine available to troops in WWII is hardly a closely guarded secret. Benzedrine was given to US and British tankers too, but only on the authority of an officer… This is probably a reliable source – King’s College. Amphetamines and the Second World War: Stimulating Interest in Drugs and Warfare Bear in mind that amphetamine wasn’t a Class A then.

Oh huh, thanks for sharing the picture. It always seemed like something that could be urban legend 🙂

Did you read the article in the link? Their use is a matter of record.

As it goes, the first mention I remember reading of drugs taking by the military in WWII was in a novel I read as a young teenager well over 40 years ago. I can still recall the title, ‘Death of a Regiment’ by John Foley. I also recall thinking “soldiers taking Bennies? That’s a bit far fetched” 😀

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Yeah, I did read it. What I meant was that without that information, it sounded like the sort of thing that started as an urban legend, hence my asking the question to begin with 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

John D Salt
    Participant

Loads – Pike and Shot for one (several actually), but one that is always coming back to niggle me is the T-10 heavy tank – did it really turn up in the Syrian and/or Egyptian armies in the Six Days War? People keep saying it did and you see loads of them in wargame armies for the war but where are the tanks/photographs?

I am pretty sure they were never exported but it won’t stop tales of them causing the Israelis lots of trouble (think poorly identified IS-3) and it won’t go away.

(John Salt will be along in a minute to tell me he has one on his front lawn)

I’ve never heard of T-10s being exported, and can’t find any serious evidence that they were. I was only aware of the Egytians fielding IS-3Ms in 1967, as mentioned in “The Tanks of Tammuz”. There are all those T-10M counters in Avalon Hill’s “Arab-Israeli Wars”, but I think they are just plain wrong, as are the designations of the Israeli Shermans and the “Patturion” (presumably intended to be the Sho’t Kal) in the game.

I don’t have a front lawn, so it is vacuously true that I have a T-10M on my front lawn (or, equivalently, none of my front lawns do not have a T-10M on them).

All the best,

John.

John D Salt
    Participant

Did T-44 actually see service at the end of WW2 or no ? Every book I read disagrees with the previous one, if it mentions the vehicle at all.

As far as I can make out, the T-44 was certainly in service in small numbers (according to Karpenko it was accepted into service in 1944, and 655 produced in 1944-45) but never saw combat.

All the best,

John.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

As far as I can make out, the T-44 was certainly in service in small nunbers (according to Karpenko it was accepted into service in 1944, and 655 produced in 1944-45) but never saw combat.

All the best,

John.

As wargamers that’s enough reason to buy 20 of them 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks John!

I’m glad to hear that none of your front lawns do not have a T-10M on them.

I think.

не знаю

Guy

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Why did anyone wear horns on their helmets? Not Vikings, of course, they had more sense…but these guys: http://funkystock.photoshelter.com/image/I0000em1ktDnNG9Q

and these guys: https://nexusnewsfeed.com/article/ancient-mysteries/the-mysterious-nuragic-civilization-of-sardinia

and many others.

Someone I trust told me that the best helmet is a smooth pot that allows blows to glance off. The same person pointed out that any decorative protuberance on the helmet, like a horn or a spike or a crest, is likely to catch a weapon that is striking a blow, whether a club, an axe or a sword. If the helmet is loosely fastened, it could be knocked off. If it’s tightly fastened, the wearer’s neck could be wrenched. Either outcome is bad.

Despite all talk about ‘horned helmets’, I believe the standard Viking helmet was a conical cap with no protuberances. Those Norskies knew their business. Why did so many other professional warriors risk their necks by attaching horns, wings, small animal effigies, horse tails and other doo-dads to their helmets?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

John D Salt
    Participant

Federov Avtomat.
    Not a common weapon, but how was it actually employed?
    As a light machine gun? A rifle? As a team weapon? Something else entirely?

From “Avtomat Fyodorova”, I Sverchkov, Experimental Weapons Range of the Higher School of Musketry, Moscow, 1923 (downloaded from Forgotten Weapons, translation by Google translate tidied by me):

Вес и размеры автомата почти те же, что и обыкноновенной винтовки. Поэтому переноска его, вместе с некоторым количеством патронов, принадлежностью для разборки и чистки и комплектов запасных частей для быстрого исправления случайных поломок, а также действие им в бою по силам одному человеку. Но, обладая значительной скорострелностю, автомат нуждается в значительном дополнительном запасе патронов, а также в обеспечении возможности пополнять его в течение боя. Для пошения этого дополнительного запаса и для доставки патронов с тыла, в распоряжении автоматчика имеется помощник, который в то же время служит и его заместителем.

The weight and dimensions of the automatic are almost the same as the conventional rifle. Therefore carrying it, along with some quantity of cartridges, stripping and cleaning tools, and sets of spare parts for quick correction of stoppages, as well as operating it in battle, is within the capacity of one person. However, having a high rate of fire, the weapon needs a significant additional stock of cartridges, as well as needing to be replenished during battle. To carry this extra stock and to deliver cartridges from the rear, an assistant is at the disposal of the automatic rifleman, who at the same time serves as his deputy.

Принимая во внимание все вышеизложенное, отдельный автоматчик с 1-2 помощниками, может заменить собою б огневным бою, стреляя одиночными выстрелами – двух-трех, а применяя огонь непрерывный – до 10 ружейных стрелков, причем, по сравненю с этою группою: а) занимает на позиции меньше места, может легче исползовать наличные закрытия, быть менее заметным и уязвимым для противника и не стеснен соседями в отношении направления выстрелов; б) дает огонь, легче поддающийся управлению и дисциплине; в) звуком своей стрельбы напоминает пулемет и может произвести на противника более сильное моральное воздействие.

Considering all the above, an individual automatic rifleman with 1-2 assistants in a fire fight can, firing single shots, replace two or three riflemen, and, using continuous fire, up to ten. Compared with this group, this: a) takes up less space on the position, makes personal concealment easier, is less visible and vulnerable to the enemy, and not so constrained by neighbors in the direction of fire; b) gives a fire that is easier to control and discipline; and c) the sound of his shooting resembles a machine gun and can produce a stronger moral impact on the enemy.

All the best,

John.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Why did so many other professional warriors risk their necks by attaching horns, wings, small animal effigies, horse tails and other doo-dads to their helmets?

Professional warriors you say?

John D Salt
    Participant

Professional warriors you say?

Surely warriors are all amateurs, professionals are soldiers. Etymologically speaking, anyway. I bet Susie Dent would back me up on this.

All the best,

John.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Pedant Alert! Pedant Alert!!

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.