Home Forums General General Your own self immortalised in plastic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A railway-nut pal of mine (birthday present to himself — training as a Guard on the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway) has just posted on his Facepark page the following link:

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

Obviously these people have never heard of the wargaming or military and aircraft modelling markets, or they would offer scales appropriate to those hobbies, and I imagine there is no technical difficulty involved in twiddling the scale freely.

Many years ago, after finishing O levels, I did some voluntary work at the Warnham War Museum, long since vanished but then the largest collection of WW2 vehicles in private ownership in the UK. One of the staff there was a lanky chap named Geoff, who would occasionally nip down the village shop for milk, biscuits or newspapers in the museum runabout, which was whichever of the Willys Jeep or Daimler Dingo was not on the display plinth at the front of the museum. Geoff told us how the museum had been visited by some gentlemen from Tamiya, who wished to take detailed measurements and drawings of the SAS jeep in the collection. After they had done a lot of measuring and drawing, they asked if it would be possible for some of the museum staff to sit in the jeep, so that they could get an idea of how driver and passengers should be posed. Of course a place like Warnham War Museum had no shortage of appropriate fancy dress, so Geoff donned khaki drill shirt and shorts and a shermagh and sat in the passenger seat, while a similarly-attired pal took the wheel. Some time later, they received as a thank-you present, with the compliments of Tamiya, some of the first 1/35th scale SAS jeeps to come off the production line. Geoff was very impressred with the Tamiya designers’ attention to detail — even the dents in the radiator grille and condenser can had been faithfully reproduced. What surprised him most, though, was that his own features had been recognisably reproduced in the front seat passenger. If you have seen the front-seat passenger of the Tamiya SAS jeep — that’s Geoff. He was very pleased to be immortalised in plastic; now anyone can be.

If anyone is tempted to give it a go, let us know how it turns out, eh?

All the best,

John.

Participant

It is possible to get yourself made in plastic. There are a couple of model railway manufacturers who will scan you, and 3D print you in an appropriate role. Their software adds overalls, hats etc. The expensive bit is the scanning, then prints are reasonably priced. Pricey, but not totally exorbitant.

Participant

I think that’s what John was saying – although for some reason I find it hard to read – the modelu banner covers most of the writing on Chrome – I had a quick play with removing it via the inspection panel but only managed to remove the writing with the link (?) don’t know how I did that – tired, not emotional but I may be after that failure!

Not sure I’d want anyone looking like I do now in my unit ta!

Participant

A chubby bloke with a beard, long hair and a Motorhead shirt, leading a cavalry charge at Waterloo?

Tempting but I think the market may be very limited 🙂

Participant

A chubby bloke with a beard, long hair and a Motorhead shirt, leading a cavalry charge at Waterloo? Tempting but I think the market may be very limited 🙂

Alternative Armies probably have something suitable in their Flintoque range. 🙂

Participant

Johns text: sans card

A railway-nut pal of mine (birthday present to himself — training as a Guard on the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway) has just posted on his Facepark page the following link:

Welcome

Obviously these people have never heard of the wargaming or military and aircraft modelling markets, or they would offer scales appropriate to those hobbies, and I imagine there is no technical difficulty involved in twiddling the scale freely.

Many years ago, after finishing O levels, I did some voluntary work at the Warnham War Museum, long since vanished but then the largest collection of WW2 vehicles in private ownership in the UK. One of the staff there was a lanky chap named Geoff, who would occasionally nip down the village shop for milk, biscuits or newspapers in the museum runabout, which was whichever of the Willys Jeep or Daimler Dingo was not on the display plinth at the front of the museum. Geoff told us how the museum had been visited by some gentlemen from Tamiya, who wished to take detailed measurements and drawings of the SAS jeep in the collection. After they had done a lot of measuring and drawing, they asked if it would be possible for some of the museum staff to sit in the jeep, so that they could get an idea of how driver and passengers should be posed. Of course a place like Warnham War MUseum had no shortage of appropriate fancy dress, so Geoff donned khaki drill shirt and shorts and a shermagh and sat in the passenger seat, while a similarly-attired pal took the wheel. Some time later, they received as a thank-you present, with the compliments of Tamiya, some of the first 1/35th scale SAS jeeps to come off the production line. Geoff was very impressred with the Tamiya designers’ attention to detail — even the dents in the radiator grille and condenser can had been faithfully reproduced. What surprised him most, though, was that his own features had been recognisably reproduced in the front seat passenger. If you have seen the front-seat passenger of the Tamiya SAS jeep — that’s Geoff. He was very pleased to be immortalised in plastic; now anyone can be.

If anyone is tempted to give it a go, let us know how it turns out, eh?

All the best,

John.

Participant

Hmmm, I could be a skinny viking….

Participant

I guess you could get your head scanned and rendered in say 28mm so you could put your own head on figures of choice?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.