- 16/08/2017 at 09:52 #69947Deleted UserMember
I’ve been fretting over these items ever since the Mahdist Revolt became my period of the moment.
I realised their importance to wargaming the period & wondered how to create some. I looked at internet photos, asked questions on forums etc. The best tip I got was to use bits of actual bushes but experiments in this direction looked awful.
Finally, I decided on wire wool. I made a prototype. I used a MDF base, randomly shaped & with bevelled edges. I put some suitably teased wool on it via the hot glue gun. The base was gritted, then sprayed brown. After drying, I drybrushed the base & added lighter brown high lights to the “thorns”.
I’m quite pleased by the result (NB the photo looks very grey when shades of brown are the actual colour).
I’ve read that Beja warriors did jump over them on occasion. Impressive & I wish my plastic warriors luck.
16/08/2017 at 11:53 #69951Rhubarb633Participant
- This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Deleted User.
Looks neat. Very effective.
I’m not sure what size your Beja are, but guessing 20mm (1/72) as you say they are plastic. Dried lichen or rubberised horsehair seem to be the standard materials of choice for 28mm zareeba, but wire wool seems a very good choice for smaller scales.
I’d not read of Beja jumping over zareebas. Horses, yes – but foot troops are another matter. It would be some feat indeed and the consequences of failure are too painful to contemplate!17/08/2017 at 06:28 #69972MartinRParticipant
I just use lichen for mine, but I’m sure any old dried out looking shrubbery is fine.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke18/08/2017 at 03:59 #70000
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.