Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Zvezda Ring of Rule Cursed Legion for Dragon Rampant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TwoGunBob
    Participant

Okay, I’ve posted this around but this is… About four months of work off and on as I tried to get back into the swing after moving to a new house. These are the most fiddly models you will ever come across in your lifetime. Separate sword blades, hands, feet, etc. and for all the pieces they are still minimally customizable as far as positions go. They were discontinued around 2003 and my mother purchased a ton of them at close out prices for my birthday around probably 2004-2005. And they lingered because they were such a nightmare to assemble. My mother passed and honestly since then my painting has never been the same, or rather my focus on painting. My mother was ill so I sold my house and moved with her to take care of her and we spent a lot of time talking while I painted and invariably I dwell on her a lot when painting so I honestly don’t paint quite as much as I used to. I figured being in a new place it would probably be a good thing to FINALLY finish the project she financed all those years ago.

Sitting down, I started getting my numbers together and build the units for Dragon Rampant

A couple of primed figures from my first attempt at the project made a return from the box of unfinished miniatures.

August saw them assembled and primed and I slowly began puttering about with the paints.

And then November saw them finally coming together.

And finished in the same month even.

Now, since then I did get a set of the discontinued Cursed Legion Cavalry from a LAF member in the Netherlands and they are done as well. I’ll get more shoddy phone pictures of them to add. Since finishing this project I’ve been mucking about with some Ramshackle Games Nuclear Renaissance figures but it’s been a slow build process. Also sat down with my kids and assembled and primed a set of Mantic Elves and Dwarves so that we can get our Dragon Rampant on at the house. The Elves and Dwarves are primed and I’ll be posting pics of them as well once we get sat down with brushes and can get those started up as well.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Oh, wow.ย Those things. I recall seeing them 15+ years ago in a hobby shop that otherwise carried extremely few wargaming products (just military modelling and naval modelling stuff) and feeling perplexed that they even existed. They essentially struck me as wargaming miniatures that had somehow come into existence in almost total separation from the rest of the wargaming scene, as if in some pocket dimension.

I’m a bit nostalgic about them now, though. So thanks for sharing, they’re fun to see!

I hope you find a way to reconcile your participation in the hobby with the other things going on in your thoughts.

TwoGunBob
    Participant

That’s my exact thoughts as well, Rhoderic. I saw them at the model train shop I used to pick up my Tamiya primer from and found them so mind boggling in their existence. They were also priced at quite a premium initially as I remember thinking that Games Workshop was cheap by comparison. There was the quarter scale car models, the planes, and these 28mm models stacked on the floor as if the owner got them and honestly had no idea what in the world to do with them.

They almost seem reverse engineered by someone that heard of wargaming and saw a few pictures on the internet but had no idea how everyone else made their models.

Rhoderic
    Participant

They almost seem reverse engineered by someone that heard of wargaming and saw a few pictures on the internet but had no idea how everyone else made their models.

…and once having a finished product, they sent it forth into the world through entirely different distribution channels that terminated in a type of shop wherein wargamers seldom ventured. In nostalgic retrospect, it’s almost brilliant in its own, lopsided sort of way. How delightful it is to think back on it, even taking into account the foibles in the figures’ design.

Great painting, by the way. Forgot to say that first time round.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I love them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I remember seeing these in a model shop years ago and being tempted.

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Okay, threw my knapsack down after work and then tossed the cavalry miniatures on top of it. Really need to quit just using the phone camera for snaps but with my computer’s BIOS zapped I’ve become far too phone reliant and not in a hurry to buy a new computer.

Edit to add: And the weirdest thing about these miniatures is that the horses have NO EARS!!!! They are not nearly as fiddly as the infantry which was a relief. I still have a ton of the Empire figures to make, though.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by TwoGunBob.
    Mike
    Keymaster

Edit to add: And the weirdest thing about these miniatures is that the horses have NO EARS!!!! They are not nearly as fiddly as the infantry which was a relief. I still have a ton of the Empire figures to make, though.

Given the nature of these models, are you sure they are not separate pieces you just haven’t found yet?

TwoGunBob
    Participant

That’s funny! I’m going to hazard that the sculptor decided the head armor fitting was more important than anything as stupid as being anatomically correct. I’m curious if Zvezda 1:72 cavalry has a similar problem or if it was exclusively an oversight on their (decidedly small) 28mm range.

Edit to add- Carthaginians and Persians appear to have ears. Guess that was the downfall of the range.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by TwoGunBob.

Great work.

Discontinued in 2003 and yet my local model shop is still trying to sell some boxes of them

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Priced to move or still at retail? Asking for a friend, totally not putting the feelers out to finish out some stuff cheaply.ย 

Around retail. My local shop lists things at the price when they were thrown out on the shelves ( its how I picked up 3 boxes of Esci 3 years ago at 2001 prices)

I’ll PM you the details (When I work out how)

Mike
    Keymaster

Iโ€™ll PM you the details (When I work out how)

If you are Sponsoring member you can access the PM feature via the Sponsors Menu on the main page, along with the other perks a Sponsor gets.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Iโ€™ll PM you the details (When I work out how)

If you are Sponsoring member you can access the PM feature via the Sponsors Menu on the main page, along with the other perks a Sponsor gets. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks – I am a Sponsor and I assume Bob is as the message was sent

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Well, I wasn’t but I am now. I expect my free air guitar shipped over to me ASAP from the staff at TWW.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.