It's that time of year again! The 2016 Pendraken Painting Competition opens on February 1st and runs all the way through February. The 2015 competition had 229 entries (winners can be seen here, all of a consistently high standard, so we're really looking forward to seeing what this year holds!
As mentioned, the competition will run throughout February, meaning that the leap year will give everyone an extra day to get your entries in. The closing deadline will be midnight on the 29th February.
The big news for this year is our new category: 'Warband Base' This category does exactly what it says on the tin, so any single Warband base, whether it's a cool command stand or a unit of warriors crammed in like sardines!
The only other change from last year is that we've dropped the 'single base' requirement for the other categories, allowing multiple bases to be lined up and entered, as long as they still fall within the figure quantity rules. As folks have their figures based up on all kind of size bases, instead of being restricted to a single base with maybe only 4 or 5 figures on it, you can now line up several bases to get a better 'unit' look.
Foot - Pre-20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Foot - 20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Vehicle - Single vehicle on or off base.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Anything Fantasy or Sci-Fi oriented, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 100x100mm. Includes single figures, artillery bases, command stands, etc.
Open - Army! - Armies, Units, Dungeons, whole table setups, anything!
Warband! - Any single base for use in our Warband rules, this can be a command stand, a unit of warriors, an artillery base, etc.
If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!
Rules - Please Read!
- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken. Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.
1. You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!
2. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed 2 images (except for the 'Army!' category, see below). Like last year, we are no longer allowing montage images to keep a level playing field. You can however edit your two images into a single file for the sake of uploading/hosting them. If you have any difficulty posting pics, they can be emailed to Pendraken and we'll put them up for you.
3. The 'Open - Army!' category may have 5 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!
4. All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.
5. Entries should have been completed in the last 12 months.
6. You can post WIP photo's if you wish, please create a new thread for these. You can also post extra photos of your work elsewhere on the Forum. These will not count towards your competition entry.
7. The winners will be decided by a team of five judges. Entries will be judged on the painting first and foremost, but remember that effective basing can make a nice entry look even better.
8. Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.
9. Pendraken may use your pics in future promo/marketing, catalogue covers or web pics. Entering gives your permission for your pics to be used.
We've got some great prizes lined up once again and we'll be announcing those in the next few days, so keep an eye out for that.
So, things to remember:
Competition opens - February 1st!
Closing deadline - Midnight, February 29th!
There's still time to order any extra figures you need, so get them in to us ASAP to make sure they arrive in good time! There's been some excellent painting shown on the Forum over the past 12 months so we're looking forward to seeing some of it in the competition.
If there's any questions, let us know!