Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 25mm WFB

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Author

I have decided to gather my Mordheim models and spares and start putting together a WFB 3rd edition mini army in 25mm.

I don’t much like painting 25mm as it takes an age, but I figured if I aim for about 50 figures total for the force, then I should be able to get it all done in about a year at 1 model per week.
    Also I have been putting off BOYL as I feel like a bit of a fraud for doing 3rd edition in 10/12mm, and I do want to go to BOYL at some point, but just not with unofficial models in a teeny scale. etc.

So, I am still playing Mordheim but when that is done (maybe before) I will rebase them so I can have some extra models.

The plan is a unit of Helblitzen, a unit of Armbrustschutzen and a unit of Ersatzsolder with swords and shields.
    Then a general type, and a wizardy type (which may be a drunk priest of Taal).

I have cobbled together the spares into the starts of a Helblitzen unit and have about 5 more on the way from a dude on FB:

And I shall be incorporating these:

Participant

BOYL ???

Keymaster

Bring Out Your Lead. The definitive Oldhammer Event.

https://www.bringoutyourlead.co.uk/

Participant

Not sure why you would feel like a fraud, mini hammer is definitely a thing and there are quite a few gamers playing in 10mm.

Nevertheless, you will probably find more opponents if you play in 25mm.

I dunno, I think if I was playing Warmaster then less so.
    Anyway, it is giving me rose flavoured good feelings assembling a ‘proper’ oldhammer force.

So after buying just a few models and sorting out what I already had, I am not far off from having a tiny Stirland force.

The final line up will be.

15 Helblitzen
    10 Erzatsolder
    5 Woodsmen
    5 Armbrustschutzen

1 drunk wizard/priest
    1 Captain.

Once complete in probably about a year, I will expand the units to enbiggen them.

To get to the current final plan I need.

A guy to hold the banner for the Helblitzen.
    3 Erzatsolder with swords and shields
    2 Woodsmen
    1 Cool Armbrustschutzen as the main leader chap.

So just 7 more models to get to my Oldhammer force.

Woop, not too bad.
    40 ish figures with about 33 to paint, so maybe all done by Christmas?

Participant

… maybe all done by Christmas?

Folks – note no year given – typical gamer target as it allows for the normal project creep 🙂 🙂

I do like the drunk wizard – the flagellant figures was a group I always wanted to field but then they went ‘silly’ in plastic and even worse in 40K. They still gave the odd nice one (the one in the pillory being #1) and some nice 3D ones are out now.

Yeah I liked those early fleglers but as with so much of GW, the more modern it is the less I like its look.
    I have mentioned elsewhere, no doubt on a number of occasions that the setting has gone from pseudo-historical fantasy to high world of warcraft DnD fantasy, which for my money makes it as uninteresting as all the others.

That model is a conversion from the original which was intended as a Morrite priest, hence the hourglass on the holy tome, but Taal seems more in keeping with Stirland, nit by much, but by a bit?
    So I may need to re-do the book. Again…

Oh and I should almost certainly add these random people to the roster:

So my plan to make a teeny 25mm Empire force for WFB is complete:

885 points of brave Imperial lads.

So yeah, that is them collected, now to paint them.

But then this happened…

884 points of evil undead…

Is this how it starts?

Participant

😂 That got out of hand soon.

Before you know you’re showing off your 2k+ armies.

Do Skaven next 😉.

Keymaster

Skaven?
    The rat men?
    Those are just old wives tales to scare the urchins, everyone knows they are not real.

Participant

While the stout lads of the Sewer Watch are on the job what’s below stays below!

Fossilizing nicely.

Keymaster

Don’t fall in the stew.

I have been doing some basing on the models I had painted from Mordheim to try and get it to match the surface I will be using for the 25mm WFB (Which is different to the surface for the 10mm WFB).
    Did not want lawn tennis/golf green smooth, so all a bit Stirlandy and uneven.

Quite pleased with the match, the brown mud that is visible will match any terrain that I make.

Participant

Great work 🙂

I recognise some of the mens but not all of them. Are these all oldhammer minis or are you picking whatever strikes your fancy?

They are all old sculpts*, some have been re-released by Wargames Foundry, but only some.
    Most are from ebay or FB trades, some are not cheap.
    BUT the feels are high.

The undead however are whatever I can find that sort of looks the part, almost all are new models.

*80’s and 90’s.

First unit done.
    The undead are much quicker to paint as no uniforms, and in most cases, no clothes…
    Plus I had 3 of these already painted.

Next will be some Empire Armbrustshutzen.

Starting 25mm after years of just 10mm means there is much to buy/make/paint.

Some terrain will be needed, so I have some linear obstacles made and ready to paint:

My games will be about a small area of Stirland under attack from the rising undead of neighbouring Sylvania.

Site update to include 10mm and 25mm WFB

https://angelbarracks.co.uk/

Working on a barricade for my Stirland lads for WFB 3rd edition.

Almost done, 3 more to do after this one.

Participant

A bit of grime and all done, looks great!

I have not played WFB with 25mm models in over 30 years.

Today Samantha and I played a game of it.

With us having used 10mm for WFB over the last 4 years and no 25mm WFB since the 90’s this was a blast from the past.

The armies we used today were much smaller than those my mates and I used back in the day, the terrain was half done and crude, the table smaller than it should be, and virtually nothing painted, the options of terrain were very much lacking, I mean no stepped hills for starters!!

But despite it looking like it did,  it is the beginning of 25mm WFB it was most fun.

Having fewer units with fewer models meant each loss was more keenly felt.
    With my Empire not having artillery it was very different, my spells were a bit crappy in terms of game worthiness, but they did help create the narrative of why my wizard/priest/mage is a drunk!

Also with fewer models we used some of the rules that we ignored as it would slow down bigger games.
    So that was a thing too.

Empire won, mostly due to some terrible instability rolls from Samantha and her letting me get my heroes stuck into the fear causing units and preventing them from charging my less well lead troops.

My drunk wizard/priest had mixed spells. But Strength of Combat and Hammerhand did make him a bit of a HTH machine…

Also, she did lose her Liche early days with some very lucky dice rolls on my part.

One very obvious difference was that within a turn we were in missile range of each other and within a few turns we have engaged in HTH.
    A lot less time for manoeuvres and being pounded by missile fire and all that.

So yeah it was good fun.
    There is so much to do in terms of making it all look pretty, but it something to look forward to.

As it was not a full game and a new experience, no plot, no scenario.
    And some hastily done crappy photos.
    Hopefully each new game will see less and less unpainted stuff.

The first of my small Stirland units finished.

(Though I have ordered more to boost the unit to ten)

So, Townscape. I printed the bits for the Inn, but after some thought, I decided that as this is my first 25mm build in over 30 years to go easy on myself.

I will instead attempt the cottage. I will stick it to some stiff material and then build up over it to create a texture.

Participant

Working on a barricade for my Stirland lads for WFB 3rd edition. Almost done, 3 more to do after this one.

That is a nice wood colour Mike, what paint is it.

Keymaster

Cheers.

It is Vallejo Game Color, Beasty Brown 72.043

Inkwashed and drybrushed with the same base and then some extra highlights with Game Color Leather Brown 72.040 and good dosing of mat varnish.

So I built the cottage, but I decided that with it being Stirland, and just a peasants house that clay roof tiles were a bit fancy.
    I went with wooden shingle/shake style roofing.
    I am also now thinking that the windows are a bit fancy.
    I will paint it all up, but there is a strong chance the windows will be shuttered to hide what is there now.

Finished painting the cottage and I have laser cut a base for it with our laser cutter, but to mount it?

It will be slightly less practical if I mount it on the mdf base, but it will allow for added prettiness and visual appeal.

Played another game today.
    As you can see from the photo’s, still so much to paint, but there is an increase in the number of made/painted terrain, and in painted figures, so I am getting there.

The game was much closer this time.
    In almost all the 10mm WFB we played, the Fear of the Undead made no real difference, I would regularly pass fear tests and all would be well.
    However this time, I was buggered by the Fear.

My biggest unit, the Helblitzen did pass their Fear test to charge and they won the first round.
    However they lost the second and were pushed back; any unit pushed back by a feared unit will automatically rout.
    They never rallied, were always pursued and lost 14 out of 15 men, mostly from free hacks during the fleeing.
    The captain did rally when he was the last one left, but was then charged and failed his fear test and ran home.

My Erzatsolder tried turn after turn to summon the courage to charge the undead archer but just kept failing.

My drunk priest was charged and whilst he passed the Fear test he lost, got pushed back and automatically routed, though he did rally on the table edge, cast fireball and managed to kill the Undead Hero that was charging him.

All in all it was very close and could have easily gone either way.
    The Fear played an actual part in this game, the first time ever really and it made it more enjoyable.
    But a victory to the lads of Stirland.

And now some random piccies:

Participant

You sure that was a fireball cast, and not an accidental (but well timed) flaming belch?  😀

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Whatever it was it was very timely!

Got me some eBay Armbrustschutzen reinforcements today for my Stirland Garrison.

Tricky/PITA doing it though, as my force has no, and will never have duplicate models.

Participant

I’m sure you’ve seen this – its another person who made all the buildings from the WH Townscape book https://another-wargaming-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Townscape

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Keymaster

Sure have. Tis inspirational.

Participant

I’ve always wanted to make this. Ive made a few of the buildings from WD magazines but this one always caught my eye in the photos
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235075269-warhammer-fantasy-inn/

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

That is a great build.
    Yet, something about the original speaks to me more?

I will have another look later.

Until then, my take on the Townscape Cottage:

Considering this is my first ever 25mm scratch build I am quite happy with it.
    There are a few things I will do differently next time, but all in all I am quite pleased.

Now to find a model of the person that lives there…

My plan for the 25mm was to follow on from the 10mm & have my games set in The Auld Ryding.

But now I’m thinking, with 25mm you can create much more intricate settings in terms of models and terrain and people/villagers.

Should I make my own setting, maybe a small village in Stirland?

Participant

A local village, for local people.

Dig too deeply below the surface and all sorts of perversions and taints may be laid bare.

Fossilizing nicely.

Participant

Should I make my own setting, maybe a small village in Stirland?

Why wouldn’t you? It seems to me that story telling and world building have long been a significant part of your gaming activities, and the rest of us want to hear the gossip!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.