Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 3mm Terrain

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since I started looking at my pico armies, I came quickly to the conclusion that I had too little in the way of terrain, so I set to work trying to amend that.

Here’s some things I made recently:

Made big enough to work for 6mm as well, this complex becomes quite large for the 3mm forces. Could be a off-the-books lab complex involved in something illegal, a huge farm or anything else you can imagine.

The local HQ for a corporation involved in minerals, oil and a few other lucrative areas in the colonies.

Another multi-scale piece, useful as both 6mm large bushes and 3mm small woods/forests.

A powerplant. the Solar Bloc tank is to show the scale. I’ve realized I could make something similar to the Hoth shield generators with a few of these, so that might happen..

The last finished piece is a small re-fueling depot. I have a few more things in the works, and I will share as soon as I have something!

Participant

Nice stuff, man!

I used a credit card, balsa wood, plasticard, beads and an empty deodorant dispenser to make this:

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Keymaster

All very cool.
    I hear AB may make some 3mm stuff as a tester if he can blag some free 3mm models as scale reference…

He would buy them but he is tight!

😀

Participant

I’ll be bunging a few 3mm minis to AB on Tuesday, some Vietcong and Israeli figs and odds n ends of vehicles I have lying about.

Those tower blocks are excellent!

Participant

AB should consider that he should go a tad smaller than 3mm for a maximum realistic look. I’d suggest modeling based on the vehicles rather than the infantry, because the infantry is usually a tad bigger than 3mm.

Participant

Talk to Javelin98 about casting his Shapeways modular SF habs in resin. I’d buy them, but they are too expensive on Shapeways.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/HPC8R5HZG/3mm-pod-housing-hex-pattern?li=user-profile&optionId=55974305

Also, your own stuff in 3mm would sell very well, I think.

Keymaster

AB should consider that he should go a tad smaller than 3mm for a maximum realistic look. I’d suggest modeling based on the vehicles rather than the infantry, because the infantry is usually a tad bigger than 3mm.

I am sure that he knows his 6mm skirmish buildings are just right for a 1 figure = 1 man look, but when it is more a battalion ‘scale’ game then he will make it more suited to that feel.

Prolly.

😀

Participant

Don’t do entire pieces: do buildings a lá Brigade Model’s stuff and let us muck about with it, please.

Participant

@Thaddeus Blanchette: Thanks Thaddeus, I’m a fan of your work, you have so much 3mm goodness on your blog! I agree with the single building idea, then we can by bags of the stuff and still have it all look different and interesting.

@editor mike: I have hear the same thing, I really hope that AB makes something like his 6mm stuff, that would be exellent! Thank you for the kind words 🙂

Rules Junkie Jim: I thank you both for the kind words and the sacrifice of some spare minis, hopefully AB will put them to good use!

Participant

Man, but my freedom fighters need a junker shanty town!

Participant

I hear you, a 3mm Shanty town would be very nice 🙂

Participant

Hello AB, if you’re listening… I posted some Oddzial Osmy figures and vehicles to you today, along with one of these

http://www.picoarmor.com/pico-products-detail.cfm?id=226&pid=1657&p=PicoTerrain – Building S6&n=3mm Small Mid-Eastern Dwelling (Pack of 4)&m=6

as another size  reference. Think I got it from a now-defunct company (Simply Six??). Possibly quite big for 1/600th, but it’s a good range for pre-20th century gaming.

Careful you don’t drop the figures. There’d have been 1 more strip of infantry in there, but I dropped it on the floor and it literally disappeared

Arrived today.
    Thank you!
    Ye gads those are small!

Half term holiday here but will start work next week on some credit card sized pieces.

Participant

Aw… Just do buildings, man. Seriously. You can knock up a dozen over the weekend. If they are loose, we can move them about and they become a lot more useful! OK, I’ll buy them anyhow, but I’ll buy a lot more if they are loose.

It is a lot more cost effective to make one mould that casts a £2.00 model than ten moulds that cast a 20p model.
    In terms of silicone, resin, time and sanity.

If I had the ability to make metal spin cast moulds myself and to cast them myself then I would do metal loose buildings.
    But as I am doing resin casting, credit card pieces are the way to go.

But… If these prove popular then a KS for single metal buildings in the future is very much a possibility.

Participant

But with 3mm, can’t you just make ten pieces per mold? I mean, I do that when I’m copying pieces for kit bashes. I glue them to a plate of glass, form a Lego barrier around them, then pour in the rubber. When I pour in the resin, later, I have the mold flipped on its back. I then take a big, flat bread knife and just slide it across the top of the mold, as if I were taking the head off a glass of beer.

Seems to work fine, with negligible flash.

I would definitely kick in to a metal kickstarter.

I could do 10 different pieces per mould and sell it as a pack…
    But there would be issues around fiddlyness. These pieces would be teeny as you know.

Let me have a play next week and I will start a 3mm topic!

(the horror)

Participant

Personally, I would find little ready-made “settlements” very useful. But I favor a 3mm scale line from the AB source no matter what its final shape. Like TB, I heartily endorse any such event or product!

Participant

Alexander’s thread sidetracked.

Angel Barracks railroaded into doing 3mm.

My work here is done!

Participant

Woohoo, AB is making 3mm stuff. I feel this might make me a poor man.. @AB: Thanks for the speedy deliver of my last order BTW, just started to put things together!

@Rules Junkie Jim: Good work mate, have a cookie, you’ve earned it 😉

I have a few more 3mm piece to share, while I wait for reinforcements from Pico Armor:

Groupshot, sans the piece I finished up this morning.

Landing pad, fully equipped with refueling and servicing capabilities.

Grow-domes, making sure the poor colonists have something to eat, regardless of the often inhospitable climate of partially terraformed worlds.

Last piece is a area defence installation. The guns are multi-purpose, being able to take on atmospheric threats as well as smaller orbital vessels. I plan to build a proper anti-ship installation at some point, but these will have to fill in for the moment.

This stuff is brilliant. Showcases what to me is the most attractive aspect of 3mm.

Participant

Beautiful use of the resin terrain! I am waiting for mine to finally arrive. Customs is taking forever on this order….

Participant

Thanks Rhoderic, the finer scales do allow for lost of cool terrain without breaking the bank!

@Thaddeus: These Firestorm terrain bits are really great, You can get so much out of a box!

I hope the postal service get cracking so you can have yours soon, also, thank you for the kind words 🙂

Participant

Only a single 3mm piece today, but its a big one:

A Hoth-style Shield Generator! One of my Solar Bloc tanks is here to give you an idea of the size.

Participant

Loving the grow-domes! So verdant and domey. 

Participant

Thanks 🙂

Participant

I am more and more tempted to buy up some 3mm stuff.

Great terrain pieces!

Participant

It’s a great scale to play around with, and cheap enough that you can try it without breaking the bank 🙂

Thank you for the kind words!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.