Home Forums Terrain and Scenery A Whole New World

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Combining what I did from my previous terrain projects. Big RPG map and point of interest locations.

I had problem with travel time, distance and fixed locations of the large map. The round locations were too small and claustophobic. Combining the two. Keeping the smaller scales of the large map while having locations separated for modularity and can be expanded upon.

The new land. This is already has as many points of interest as the big map.

The two towns.

Logging camp

Participant

Exquisite! They made me smile.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Keymaster

Yup, that is properly nice.

Participant

Beats the heck out of my old scribbled notes and drawings.

Bet they would not cope with a quick bake in the oven to age them though 🙂

Participant

Totally great! That is truly wonderful work.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Absolutely gorgeous, as always.

V/R,
    Jack

Thanks guys.

@Andrew

It’s true a lot of the stuff on these would melt if baked.

You’re the second person who used the baking method. You can get very similar effect using old tea bags.

Participant

This looks good and reminds me of games such as Anno 1404 where you slowly colonise a wild land.

Participant

Man, these are heckin cool!  And would be great for RPGs, as you can put these out for players, have the players draw their own maps of them, and change and grow/desolate the locations over game time and different sessions.  Totally stealing this idea.

Can you refresh on how you made the buildings/their sizes?  Hard to tell how big one of these locations actually is.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

@Thuseld
    I like exploration/open world kind of games and like watching the world grow as new locations are discovered. This method doesn’t look as good as the big map but is so much more expandable.

@DSG
    Steal away
    I have two ways of making buildings. Plastic strip of desired thickness with one end filed down for the roof before cutting them down into individual houses. The other and what I used here were sculpted on with putty once the hills and slopes were done.

In the future I’d only do the terrain and border forest, everything else (houses, fields, groups of trees, bridges) will be mounted on masking tape so the locations can develop and reflect seasons.

The scale is my usual too tiny to be sensible. For actual size the bases are pond bases from Warbase.
    https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/bases/terrain-bases/

With 3mm minis for comparison. The walled town on black is an early prototype using both methods of construction.

The prototype town started off as terrain for Adeptus Titanicus where the titans/knights would be 4-6mm tall. Funny how projects morphed over time.

Participant

Thanks!

Guess you could call that “logical” evolution of project.  Had a similar thing happen to a project when one group of friends wanted a more detail yet fast way to do boarding actions in Full Thrust which started abstractly, thenwith having a piece of paper that had “zones” within the ship bookened by bulkheads and zone based combat and movement, to having a deckplan printed out, on to putting actual minis in the now more detailed zones and having groups that could do specific actions (attack, defend, sabotage, destroy, repair, hack, etc) against enemies and specific ship systems/locations to now making 15mm scale ships 39-54″ long with lift-off tops so we can play Full Thrust with boarding actions with 15mm figures on a gymnasium floor.  It’s going to be a hoot!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

…as you can put these out for players, have the players draw their own maps of them, and change and grow/desolate the locations over game time and different sessions.

Ooh! Now that’s a particularly good idea…

Totally stealing this idea.

Me too – I’m stealing off both of you!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Oh my God!  That is stunning work.  Absolutely stunning.  I don’t think I have ever seen the likes anywhere, ever.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Keymaster

Oh my God! That is stunning work. Absolutely stunning. I don’t think I have ever seen the likes anywhere, ever.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah it is a bit nice innit.

Participant

Mike

Most certainly.  I live for good terrain, and this is exquisite.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.