Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Egyptian Pyramids

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What would be a good paint or covering for an Egyptian pyramid? And what might work well for the surrounding basing?

Keymaster

What time period/year will the pyramids be around in?

Keymaster

That was poorly worded..

When are the games that feature the pyramids set?

Participant

Was thinking in Middle Kingdom, rather than Pulp ’20s, if that is what you were getting at?

Keymaster

So would they still have been white during that time?

Participant

I am guessing yes, although I am not sure when that would have all come off…

Participant

I don’t have any citations for this but when I was deep in my research into all things Early Bronze Age Middle Eastern I found a couple of passages that suggested although the contents were almost certainly removed before or at the start of the Middle Kingdom, that large scale robbing of the outer coverings of the pyramids may only have started in the New Kingdom when pharaonic burials were moved to The Valley Of The Kings. If that helps any?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

That’s useful, thanks Mikes. I am still having a little trouble thinking how to represent that as texture/colour on a model though. Just painting off-white seems insufficient? Or am I over-thinking it?

Participant

I have a feeling I read that they were covered in white marble once finished, but don’t quote me on that!

Participant

I have a feeling I read that they were covered in white marble once finished, but don’t quote me on that!

Don’t worry Steve, I won’t. 🙂

Because the outer casing was fine white limestone!

Then and now picture

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

I thought the gold top was urban/rural myth.
    I know plenty of people thought/suggested it, but is/was there any evidence of that?

Participant

Thanks for the clarification Mike!  At least I got the ‘white’ bit right;)

Participant

I thought the gold top was urban/rural myth. I know plenty of people thought/suggested it, but is/was there any evidence of that?

The top has a name – pyramidon. Most of them seem to have been sandstone or limestone. The Great Pyramid was reputed to have a pyramidon of electrum, a naturally occurring alloy of silver and gold.

The Louvre has quite a collection. I’ve seen them, and one of the curators told me, in French, all about them. I think I understood some of it 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Egyptian_pyramidia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Many thanks all

Participant

I think a white pyramid with a gold top would look super cool!

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.