Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Historical From Shako to coal Scuttle Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Used the system for a second outing of a 1813 French -Prussian action, after a first game we decided to reduce the fire dice for poor quality troops down  to a max of 3 for French to reflect poor training and encourage getting to hand to hand. This worked really well for us and gave a very tense and really enjoyable historical game. This is now our replacement set for Lasalle and Blackpowder for the period.

Just a couple of checks we are understanding the intent of the rules correctly –

Cav – Cav one side charges with a shock action – the target cavalry have to take the charge (no countercharges) and only fight if it goes to hand to hand, so the charger in a Cav -v Cav gets the advantage of a free opportunity to hit. This is what we played,is it correct.

Cav v infantry – smooth bore period Squares – Cav charge infantry, infantry have 0 disarray.

If charged from the front they would have a base 2 plus 2 so 4 d6 to stop a charge from the front, if the charge came from the flank or rear is it just the 2 dice?

If the charge went in frontally combat as normal, if it went in to the flank or rear would the cav get the flank or rear combat bonus.  My thinking is that they would still be in square even if they failed to stop the charge….. help!

Any plans to write a battle system pre Black Power! Sure it would be great….

Thanks

Nigel

Participant

Cheers and I am glad it went well!

A replacement for Lasalle? That’s high praise 🙂

Cav – Cav one side charges with a shock action – the target cavalry have to take the charge (no countercharges) and only fight if it goes to hand to hand, so the charger in a Cav -v Cav gets the advantage of a free opportunity to hit. This is what we played,is it correct.

You got it.
    I recall we kicked around countercharges or not, but in the end, the current method makes movement more rewarding so we opted for it.

Cav v infantry – smooth bore period Squares – Cav charge infantry, infantry have 0 disarray.

If charged from the front they would have a base 2 plus 2 so 4 d6 to stop a charge from the front, if the charge came from the flank or rear is it just the 2 dice?

As written, yes, though you might want to just even out the dice to 3 on all sides.

If the charge went in frontally combat as normal, if it went in to the flank or rear would the cav get the flank or rear combat bonus. My thinking is that they would still be in square even if they failed to stop the charge….. help!

Yeah, squares could need an extra line or three of explanantion. They won’t have a flank in melee.

Any plans to write a battle system pre Black Power! Sure it would be great…

Not specifically, but now that you mention it…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.