Home Forums General Blogs Help Needed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m having a bit of techno-mare with my blog and could do with some advice.

How do you get a WordPress blog to show Google-based blogs that you follow?

Many thanks,

Iain

Keymaster

You mean as a list or as some sort of auto-updating post feature?
    If it is just as a list can’t you just type in the names as URLs?

If you want something a bit more fancy then you need to hunt for a wordpress plugin that does it, or for some Google HTML code that you can put into your wpress site.

Participant

I can only tell you how blogspot does it and I am guessing that WordPress has a similar process.

Basically after signing in, I go into the layout section. There are several partly highlighted boxes around the screen that have the word GADGET in them. This just means that it is an allocated area that is free and can be used to add a PLUG-IN.

Plug-ins give you all sorts of extra things around your screen, such as a FOLLOWERS section or a VISITOR COUNTER or a LIST OF BLOGS THAT I FOLLOW or TOP 5 VISITED POSTS FROM THIS BLOG etc.

Just select the plug-in that you want.

Hopefully WordPress is similar.

Participant

Thanks chaps –

Mike – yeah it is supposed to be an auto-list type thing, I have followed their instructions but it doesn’t seem to want to play.

Norm – thanks for the tips I’ve basically done that but in the WordPress stylee, it is still being a git though!

Keymaster

Drop me an e-mail if you want me to take a look.

Participant

I have this feature, hang tight and I will check which widget you need. From memory you will need to obtain the feed url but none of this is overly difficult, hell I did it!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Participant

Thanks guys, had a dig about and figured it out in the end using your pointers.

Mike, it was a list thing that I had to paste in URL’s – bit of a pain that they make you do that for non-Wordpress things but not too much bother.

Participant

I take it you found it then? The RSS widget, you will need to install the widget for each feed you wish to show. To find the rss or atom feed is usually pretty easy unless the site has deliberately deleted them from being shown. Stick with WP it is very versatile (particularly the themes) once you get your head around it.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.