Home Forums General General How do you see me on TWW?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

That is to say, what do you think my role/responsibilities as ‘Mike’ on TWW should be?

Participant

You’re that bloke on the left of the page 🙂

Even handed moderation. The End.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Whatever it is you’re doing so far is working for me.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

However you define what you’ve been doing, I’d say keep it up.

Membership seems growing, the posts are interesting and the dialog polite and civilized. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

I’ve honestly always been a bit mystified over the purpose of the two accounts, but I have no objection to it. Can’t really answer the question, though.

However you define what you’ve been doing, I’d say keep it up. Membership seems growing, the posts are interesting and the dialog polite and civilized. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Here is truth and wisdom 

Participant

No politics and even-handed moderation.

Keymaster

I’ve honestly always been a bit mystified over the purpose of the two accounts, but I have no objection to it

Originally I intended Mike for purely TWW moderation and Angel Barracks to be me, where I can join in and give views and stuff about things and what not.
    But as time elapsed I could not be bothered with swapping accounts so they are pretty much interchangeable, though Mike is more the voice of TWW than AB…

Participant

Fair and impartial. Keep doing what you are doing.

Mike should be posting more specials like car give aways and family holidays etc.

Participant

You, imo, have the balance just right, you’re about and we all know who you are but you don’t grandstand or engage in attention seeking antics.  The moderation is all anyone could ask and the occasional innovation is duly noted and appreciated.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

That’s OK for me.

And don’t be shy to reprehend me if I do something wrong.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

I think everyone has about summed it up perfectly.

Participant

The only thing I can add is a tip re multiple logins: If you set up two profiles in your browser, you can have them both open at once. One logged in as Mike, one as AB.

Military history author

Keymaster

The only thing I can add is a tip re multiple logins: If you set up two profiles in your browser, you can have them both open at once. One logged in as Mike, one as AB.

I just use two different browsers. Maybe not as elegant, but handy for troubleshooting issues.

Participant

I used to use different browsers, but I’ve found profiles to be better. Still, it does the job, and seeing how the site works in different browsers is no bad thing.

Military history author

Abstractly, I think we need not like the editor nor, ideally, even see him/her much.

The key is to respect him.

In practice , I like Mike, see him here often…..and respect him.

Good job!

donald

Participant

You need lots of arbitrary and erratically enforced rules, random polls of no consequence and incomprehensible but neverending petty feuds to be a proper ‘leading’ site.

In other words don’t change a thing! 

You need lots of arbitrary and erratically enforced rules, random polls of no consequence and incomprehensible but neverending petty feuds to be a proper ‘leading’ site. In other words don’t change a thing!

Sometimes I think that TWW could pick up a few ideas from another wargaming website eg cross posting threads. Then I think: do not go near the edge of the cliff . That way lies madness.

donald

Participant

You need lots of arbitrary and erratically enforced rules, random polls of no consequence and incomprehensible but neverending petty feuds to be a proper ‘leading’ site. In other words don’t change a thing!

Oops, my sarcasm tags on that quote disappeared. Sorry Mike!

Participant

I like the distinction between the 2 ‘personas’, works well I reckon.

Just to echo what everyone else said, no need to change owt at all. I can’t remember what thread it was exactly but recently there was a slight difference of opinion about something and it was great to see it develop into a decent, polite discussion of the topic without it getting out of hand.

Keymaster

Purely moderation then?

Participant

Uhm, via my computer screen? OK, mostly my iPad screen. 🙂

I think the two personas are a good idea. Keeps it clear which hat you are wearing.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

Well, aside from obviously maintaining operation of the site, more importantly, you set the tone of the site.

Generally, the tone appears to be a function of basic decency and respect or consideration, crossed with maintaining a specific hobby focus, primarily excluding potential problem issues that you have anticipated and/or witnessed on similar sites.

Your use of two accounts has effectively allowed you to function as an overseer, and as an equal hobby participant, which I find quite inviting.

I don’t really project that you any specific obligations with respect to the site.  My approach is that you create the site as you see fit, and I either embrace it or not.  Since TWW has become my primary general or multi-genre gaming forum, I can offer that I have well embraced it.

Participant

All i can say is keep doing what you are doing Mike!

You could possibly star in your own film……🤔

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/magic_mike/

😂

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

Possibly because of a dimly-stirred recollection of the the character Booster from the Blue Peter cartoon “Bleep and Booster”, I imagine you floating weightlessly above TWW in a spacesuit, a good-natured smile on your boyish features, attached by an umbilical line to the mother-ship and with perhaps a modest and inconspicuous blaster pistol on your hip for those rare cases where it is necessary to enforce order.

Angel Barracks, on the other hand, I see as being more earthbound character with more of a resemblance to Jayne Cobb in “Firefly”, at least with respect to the terrifying extravagance of the knitted headwear that adorns his bonce.

If those are not the sort of image you were trying to project, I recommend you schedule the TWW holodeck for deep servicing.

All the best,

John.

That is to say, what do you think my role/responsibilities as ‘Mike’ on TWW should be?

First and foremost, you should be a contributor.  Yous should be the voice of reason if there is a dust-up.  You should edit reprehensible material when it is called to your attention.

What you should not do.  Do not arbitrarily sensor posts, especially when they say something negative about this site.  That has made me pack my bags and leave another site.  I can overlook a lot, but when it comes to constructive criticism, you need to have a thick skin.

Is that what you were looking for?

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

This is a hobby site … and a wargaming one at that. Be assured if people weren’t entirely happy about how you were doing things you’d know 🙂

As others have said, the current situation is fine by me.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

Is that what you were looking for?

Partially.

Other than moderating the forums and posting news and doing the more obvious admin stuff, do people expect me to populate the calendar with events, the directory with companies and the club finder with clubs?
    Also, who should be responsible for attracting new members?

I like to think of TWW as a community, a phrase I use a lot when describing it.
    And I kind of want people to help build it, together.
    I have laid the foundations and will continue to add content, but the help of the community (that word again) is needed to make it even better I think.

Is that something you think you could/should do?
    Maybe as simple as making sure your favourite clubs/web-shops and events are listed?

How much of making TWW better do you all see as my job and how much as a joint effort.

Participant

Contribution is key.  The other stuff kind of goes with out saying, you are the moderator.

The maker of the site has a duty to promote it’s continuation (if desired) through participation.  Participation can be through direct discussions, promotion, or fostering others to provide content.

WWPD is a good study on this.  The owner founders are largely now silent on the forums and that in part has diminished participation, but they have done a good job of fostering others to be the face of the site through forum discussions and continued content via the blog.

Participant

My opinion: I like the way things stand. I am pleased that you run a highly functional social media website focused on the hobby of miniature wargaming. I am pleased that you maintain a civil tone among the members by moderating with a light and even hand. I would prefer that you continue to do these things well, rather than extend yourself too far, but you know better than I do how much work you can handle.

do people expect me to populate the calendar with events, the directory with companies and the club finder with clubs?

I belong to a regional hobby organization, Historical Miniatures Gaming Society – Great Lakes, that sponsors game conventions, maintains a website and a Facebook page, publishes a monthly newsletter (digital and hard copy), and maintains directories of members, clubs and stores. You won’t cover my locale better than HMGS-GL already does. While I enjoy reading about gaming in Liverpool or Sydney, I doubt I’ll ever go there. But do as much as you can handle. A directory of wargaming related companies would be useful to me, since I trade nationally and occasionally internationally over the internet. But it’s a lot of work to keep a directory current, and I usually can find catalog and contact information via a web search.

Also, who should be responsible for attracting new members?

Is there some organized recruiting effort in place today? I think this place is known among miniature wargamers who frequent internet websites. New members regularly find their way here. I often pass this url to my friends, but most of them don’t like BBS websites as much as I do. This place isn’t for everyone, and I don’t see a lot of benefit to beating the drum.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

Is this a relationship question? Because, based on several similar-sounding questions initiated by my wife, this feels suspiciously like its a relationship question.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

Participant

I have little exposure to ‘Angel Barracks’. Mostly because 6mm sci-fi is not where I spend much of my time. ‘Mike’ comes across as a friendly contributor across the spectrum contributing pertinent questions to keep the conversation flowing.

The moderation is well done here. Like good editing, good moderation should be mostly unnoticeable.

In my experience, most sites like this are generally dependent upon a single individual doing the majority of the work. The greatest threat is that that person burns out, gets frustrated and loses interest. So protect yourself from that.

The ‘grow the community’ meme is a will-o-the-wisp. It rarely adds anything to a site and drains the energy of site owners who try to do it. The community will grow of its own accord as long as there are active posters and interested readers. I think it is far more important to set the tone and general direction of the site than add new features such as club and manufacturer directories or event calendars. These things are already available to those interested in them. If interested community members want to notify the community of such things… great! If not… great!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I figure your role should be maintaining an environment where people feel happy to contribute.  You seem to be doing that very well, the moderating is very light handed, the forum doesn’t have any bugs I’m aware of and there is a general air of positivity about the place.

With regard to attracting new members, I’d kind of rather they come in in ones and twos as they find the site, a flood of new people arriving all at once risks changing the nature of the place.  Which I understand probably doesn’t sit well with the business plan for TWW, sorry. 

Participant

Mike this is the best wargaming forum I visit, it is nonjudgmental an open friendly, informative and inspirational place to enhance and improve my wargaming experience.  That is mainly down to you and the even handed way you run this forum.  Excellent formula don’t change keep up the good work.  BZ

The main thing I like about this forum, I want to visit it and post comments or photo’s, its a pleasure not a chore.

Participant

Many excellent comments have already been made regarding the good feel of TWW, one thing though that you brought up was increasing membership, which I do believe should be a function of the owner/admin, as well as current members. Maybe, in an effort to spike membership, run a contest. The person who refers the most new members over set period of time receives some sort of terrain piece or something.

Also, I would like to see more encouragement of sponsors to be more involved with their own specials and giveaways to TWW members (which in turn would be a nice way to increase membership).

As for clubs and events, Zippy makes a valid point, plus it would be difficult to try to manage all that data yourself.

And, ever thought about having a couple of assistant admins to help drive content and watch the site?

Regardless, it is much better here than over there where the rules, such as they are, are enforced at whim and not with consistency.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Keymaster

As for clubs and events, Zippy makes a valid point, plus it would be difficult to try to manage all that data yourself.

To be fair I am happy to input all the data, the real effort is hunting around the internet for the data.
    That is why the clubs and events pages have forms for people to fill out, easy for them and easy for me to stick on the site.
    Similar thing with companies, adding the data is not a problem for me, finding it in the first place is..

Hmmmmm I will ponder a recruitment drive prize thingy!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.