Home Forums General General How Much!?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m knocking on a bit and probably as prone to as much old fogery as the next almost pensioner. I’m guessing/hoping that might explain my reaction to some lovely figures I saw last Sunday at Bristol in the Reveille show.

I’m used to seeing fantasy figures, and science fiction come to that, offered at prices that initially braise my eyebrows. (see above).

I usually recover pretty quickly and realise the manufacturer/creator of these isn’t going to be selling many, so they need to recoup their costs in fewer sales. There aren’t many mass battle fantasy games (some, I know) around and skirmish games and rpgs aren’t going to produce volume sales.

But landsknechts? Landsknecht pikemen? We are looking at big(ish) numbers aren’t we?

I started off with Young and Lawford, and Charles Grant rules, and 48 other ranks plus officers to produce 50+ battalions. I don’t do that now, but my landsknecht blocks are 36 pike minimum, plus halberds and double hand sworsdmen and arquebus.

So £6 a figure, bare metal, struck me as slightly on the high side.

I paid 4.5p for my first Hinchliffe figure in 1972 (they went up to 5p almost immediately).

Checking the Bank of England inflation calculator that 5p would be 65p today.

Now I know metal prices have risen by more than average inflation, and I want sculptors and manufacturers to make a profit, and perhaps sculpt quality has improved over the years, but nearly 10x the inflation rate increase!

I know – if you don’t like it don’t buy it – I didn’t, but is this just a poor old soul who used to be the Queen not moving with the times or is £6 per landsknecht bonkers?

Participant

It does seem high for a metal figure, even these days, but couldn’t be 100% certain. I have known and do know some gamers who wouldn’t bat an eyelid at paying that sort of cost. One gamer I’ve met paid over £400 for one 28mm building that he had custom made, so I imagine £6 per figure would be OK to him. Each to their own, but I’m glad I moved to 10mm a good few years ago.

Keymaster

I would expect a 28mm figure (assuming this was such) of historical rank and file status to be around £2.50 to £3.00.
    £6.00 would certainly put me off.

For a one off skirmish figure however, £6.00 seems about right.

Participant

No. It’s not just you. Six quid is bonkers…

Participant

Are you sure it was £6 per figure? Steel Fist Miniatures are generally regarded as high quality and they’re sometimes described as at the upper end of prices and they’re only £7.50 for 4.

Participant

Yes, just checked online to make sure, and there are some at £5.00 and some at £6.00.

The ones that caught my attention were £6.00. I’m not criticising the make or the seller – which is why I’m not naming names – I’m just a bit surprised.

I am aware that age does sometimes warp your sense of value, but I’m normally pretty good at recalibrating my expectations every so many years. The thought of my 13 year old son asking for £250 for a regiment of figures however, makes me blanch a little.

We are indeed talking about 28mm figures.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.