Home Forums General Game Design Jungle warfare

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How do WW2 / Modern rules handle jungle warfare? Is Jungle just like a normal wood or is represented in a different way? What are the most common and representative terrain feature? How does jungle affect visibility movement etc? And is this environment best for skirmish games (Squad, Platoon) or for higher levels (Company, Bn?)

Participant

Very open ended question, so I’ll just say “depends upon the game”.  Some use a generic “jungle” terrain that lumps all; jungle types into one effect.  Others get more detailed.  FNG, which is a Vietnam skirmish game, has single, double, triple canopy jungle, bamboo forest, pine forest, orchard, and rubber plantation as they all can be encountered and have different cover values, ground visual distance, movement rates, and aerial spotting characteristics.  These things make big differences in skirmish games.

For larger level games, I would say that the time scale and aerial activity would determine how much detail went into different jungle types and their characteristics.  But as said above, most games just lump things into “jungle” and call it a day.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

But as said above, most games just lump things into “jungle” and call it a day.

That’s me!!! 😀

Participant

Woods, Forest and Jungles class as soft cover.

This list what we say about Jungle in our rules:-

Forests and Jungles are either major obstacles or impassable to vehicles and may restrict infantry movement and line of sight if defined so in the scenario.   They are treated as 4 to 15 contours high. A greater weight of artillery shell is required to impact troops within them.

Elements moving in Forest or Jungle if not in “Move to position Mode”. Line of sight is limited to a maximum length of 40m (4”) if originating outside or within woods.

Elements on the edge of a Forest or Jungle can see out without obstruction while remaining in soft cover.

Under artillery we add.   – Note Troops in Heavy Forest or Jungle double these Stonk rates. (i.e double the ammo usage).

Not realy a terrain that interests us,so  I have not done any major reasearch on any other tactical impacts.  I did read Sir Williams  Slim’s Defeat into Victory recently and saw nothing that jarred with what we do in our rules.

Participant

Depends a bit on scale of the encounter, but what I regularly include in the rules:

– semi-randomized movement in jungle terrain (troops get lost and delayed)
    – recon by fire as a way to detect hidden troops, in addition to plain visual contact

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.