Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Modular (flexible) roads

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m looking for a modular road set, preferably in flexible material (felt, cloth, …) that can be laid over existing terrain and follow the slopes of hills etc. Preferably less than 4cm in width.

If it would be available from a non-UK manufacturer or EU-based dealer, that’s a big plus (since you-know-what I basically stopped ordering from the UK directly due to import taxes).

Any recommendations?

Participant

Participant

I have your problem in reverse living in the UK same import duties

For your roads I would buy thin rubber matting and cut it into the size and shapes you want, having first covered with PVA glue and sand mix, paint your choice of road colour, varnish.

Participant

A bit late- but plain felt is great. Find a brown or grey colour you like, buy a Square metre or what you want size, trim to 60mm wide for 25/28mm figures. Can also be used for tracks in narrow form; chausseés twice the width; and can be used universally for 15/18mm as well.

I’ve since sprayed a darker brown/ black strip edging to define what may be road verges/ edges. Also makes things like hedge rows etc look like they ‘fit’ in the terrain, rather than on it.

Felt folds well over hills, can be ‘turned’ a moderate degree of bend (use pins if you must on hills) and ends can usually just be overlapped without distortion. Always looks better than rigid card/ plastic/ resin forms that stick out and look, well, grotesque unless perfectly matched.

regards dave

Keymaster

Any recommendations?

Only for UK.
    🙁

Participant

A bit late- but plain felt is great. Find a brown or grey colour you like, buy a aquare metre or what you want size, trim to 60mm wide for 25/28mm figures. Can also be used for tracks in narrow form; chauseés twice the width; and can be used universally for 15/18mm as well. I’ve since sprayed a darker brown/ black strip edging to define what may be road verges/ edges. Also makes things like hedge rows etc look like they ‘fit’ in the terrain, rather than on it. Felt folds well over hills, can be ‘turned’ a moderate degree of bend (use pins if you must on hills) and ends can usually just be overlapped without distortion. Always looks better than rigid card/ plastic/ resin forms that stick out and look, well, grotesque unless perfectly matched. regards dave

I second the use of felt. For my moderns, I was lucky enough to get some of the Eric Hotz silkscreened highways before he stopped making them, but I also use brown and grey felt just as is for dirt and gravel tracks. A little fabric glue and flock along the verges helps them blend in nicely.

Participant

Y’know I have never thought of using Felt for roads. I have tried Caulk, sandpaper, Asphalt roofing tiles…. why didn’t I try Felt?

To the Haberdashers!

Participant

Y’know I have never thought of using Felt for roads. I have tried Caulk, sandpaper, Asphalt roofing tiles…. why didn’t I try Felt?

To the Haberdashers!

Very pleased with how they turned out – dark brown felt lightly drybrushed and edged with flock, 14 foot or so of 6mm roads in an evening.

Participant

Photos, please, or it didn’t happen!

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Participant

For what it’s worth, Novus Design Studio in the US has some quite nice ones.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.