Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Nile steamer: Mahdist wars

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

W-I-P: still some bits needing tweaking & I’m waiting for sme items from Revirisco (including a QF gun for the bow)

donald

Participant

Ochoin:

That’s lovely work indeed. Is it in 20mm scale? Well done, sir. Now go spank those Fuzzy-wuzzies when your foredeck gun arrives and is installed. The Nile is yours!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Just to concentrate on one part of it, the paddle wheel is amazingly good. 🙂

Whole thing is lovely, but that bit leapt out for me.

Participant

Most excellent!

The figures are 1/72 so I guess the scale of the boat is too. In fact it’s a lot smaller than a true scale model.

I’m thinking of producing a different one: a side wheeler, perhaps, and a few dhows.

The wheel required a bit of patience, no more. It actually turns on the bamboo skewer…..a wasted effort when I realised the bottom had to be trimmed to represent the paddles that were under water.

And I’m disappointed (LoL) that no one has commented on the boiler which began life as a garden hose fitting with bits of sprue, copper wire & some wooden discs added.

donald

Participant

I’m intrigued. I love ‘repurposed’ stuff! I feel we need to see a closer shot of that boiler…

Participant

And I’m disappointed (LoL) that no one has commented on the boiler which began life as a garden hose fitting with bits of sprue, copper wire & some wooden discs added.

Any chance of a close up of it?

I have to admit I’m tempted to try making one of these boats myself, so any ideas I can steal are appreciated. 🙂

Victoria, a close-up seems a bit beyond me. Close enough to see the pressure gauge & the handle on the firebox door ends in a blurry photo.

You’ll have to take my word it’s……OK (truly rather than modestly).

As for “stealing” ideas, I can only say that research is your friend. I looked at photos of every actual paddle wheeler from the period & atother people’s efforts at modelling a wargaming version.

The other “tip” is have a Bit’s Box. I’m not a hoarder & actually enjoy cleaning up & throwing out but my Bits Box provided the gauge mentioned above from a spare lamp for a kubelwagon, pipes leading to the engine from drainpipes from a Gothic Church model, and various sources provided a door for the wheelhouse, floorboards for the deck etc.

The other thing is that it’s *not* a museum-quality scale model & anything suggestive is really good enough.

I still can’t believe I have the cheek to offer modelling tips on a forum replete with genuine modellors…..

donald

Participant

Research what the real thing looks like?  Radical idea, but I like it. 🙂

You’re a genuine modeller now, like it or not. 

Participant

First he mentions a bit we can’t see on the photo. Then he says he can’t do a close up ‘cos it’s all blurry. Then he tells us about even finer details!

What a tease….

Participant

Full sized boats will not fit on a wargames table comfortable. Some compression is required and you have done an excellent job with this model.

For those interested in such things, The Major General’s site available from the Internet archive is a great resource: http://web.archive.org/web/20060615181350/http://zeitcom.com:80/majgen/50ship.html

Participant

Very nice.

Participant

HaHa, Yes! Love it!

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.