Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War Part 1 ACW Game

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The last couple years we’ve been playing a campaign using the Shenandoah Campaign System in combination with Johnny Reb 2. We’re in the middle of our fourth major battle. The background of the campaign is that Jackson wasn’t killed at Chancellorsville and took his second corps with the addition of Hood’s division into the Shenandoah Valley. Reynolds was awarded command of the Army of the Shenandoah comprised of the I, II, III Corps and supported by two artillery brigades and Buford’s cavalry division.

This battle is taking place at Harpers Ferry. AP Hill’s Light Division is seeking to turn the Union’s strategic left flank and threaten their rear area. Buford has most of his own three cavalry brigades, a portion of the Artillery Reserve, and one brigade of infantry from Sickles’s III Corps. Hill’s division numbers perhaps 11,000 in six brigades and twenty guns. Buford’s force is outnumbered almost 2:1 but has a strong advantage in artillery with 42 guns present. The Union also has a ridiculous amount of medium fortifications built around the area to aid in defense.

Here’s the first part of the game:

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

Wow, that is a splendid looking table! What’s the scale?

Participant

That is a really beautiful set up you’ve got there.  One of the nicest tables I have seen.

Participant

Wow, that is a splendid looking table! What’s the scale?

Thank you. The game is 15mm.

That is a really beautiful set up you’ve got there.  One of the nicest tables I have seen.

Thank you, that is very kind.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

What kind of cloth you used

Muslin is the fabric. I bought a bolt of unbleached muslin, spread silicone caulk over it in ~18×18″ patches and poured flock and ballast over it, the dumped the excess off. I tried using cheap painter’s canvas drop cloths and they are fine but do not drape nearly as well.

I assume – shapes below it.  How do you manage to keep it down – I’ve used felt over pink styrofoam shapes and it was hopeless trying to make it stay flush with the table – I ended up using two sided tape which I didn’t like doing as it could have damaged the surface of my ping pong table.

Believe it or not, old rags and towels. The cloth is not secured at all. The towels smash down some but don’t move much at all. Eventually though I do plan to transition my “topical” terrain pieces to “pinned”, i.e. trees will have pins at their base instead of bases and will be stuck into material under the mat.

How did you do that sparkly river?

Personally I think it came out too blue but it does look decent. It is pretty easy:

1) Paint the muslin along the path of the river in a mix of blue, green, gray, and brown as you see fit.

2) Once the paint is dry, spread clear silicone (or acrylic) caulk over the top, normally this goes on white but it dries clear, make any texture in it you feel appropriate for water.

3) Once the caulk is dry spray it with a clear gloss sealant. If you don’t do this many caulks stay “sticky” which sucks when you try to fold up the terrain mat and you cover your river with loose flock. It also adds more reflection which looks good.

I’ve been considering offering to make mats on commission but not sure if anyone would actually be interested in buying them.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

A very nice looking game, the giant red jelly beans indicate casualties I presume.  Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.