Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Roguelikes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Any roguelike RPG fans out there? I’m a major roguelike fan (though I am terrible at pretty much all of them ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I tend to divide the genre into a few tiers.

Tier 1 is old school rogue likes. Rogue, Nethack, ADOM, Angband, Dungeon Crawl and so forth. This also includes new games that stay close to the old traditions (Brogue and Frozen Depths for example).

Tier 2 are games that are definitely roguelike but start to deviate more from the formula. DoomRL, Tales of May’Ejal, Dungeons of Dredmor.

Tier 3 are games that are rogue inspired but not quite rogue RPG’s anymore. Bionic Dues, FTL, Diablo, Torchlight.

So fess up people ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Until my Win2000 PC exploded (after a mere 13 years of use) I used to play the odd game of Moria. When I was at Newcastle University in 1988, Moria was taken off one of the big shared computer systems because it was discovered to be racking up more CPU cycles that anything else except the shell and the screen editor.

I have heard ‘Adventures in Infinite Space’ and its sequel ‘Weird Worlds’ classed as Roguelike games, which I suppose they are if ‘kill the monsters, take the treasure’ is what qualifies. I have yet to waste as much time on ‘Weird Worlds’ as I did on Moria, but I’m getting there.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Just got sucked into playing “Sword of the Stars: The Pit”. Very nice scifi dungeon crawler with a cool skill system, quite a few characters and a really catchy soundtrack. There’s a demo too and it’s available on Mac and Linux too.

Participant

Far too many hours spent trying to rescue the Orb of Zot in Linley’s Crawl. And, yes, I save scummed like a fool to manage to beat the game. Tried to get ADOM working for me but never managed to have a very productive game after a certain point. I played a lot of variants over the years but ADOM and Crawl were the two I stuck with. Well, lots of Nethack as well but never managed to get the Amulet of Yendor out on that one. Very much like the genre of games but in some ways the randomness (in the case of ADOM) stymies a game as you are dependent on praying for chance items to appear or really going out of your way to be sure you can get them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.