Home Forums Alternate History Pulp Sci-Fi/Pulp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As the Pulp page has been put under ‘Sci-Fi’ it made me think.

I love Pulp Alley & I like all the nice Sci-Fi figures (but hate 40 K), so why not do a Pulp game set in…’an Alien galaxy far far away…’ Well to be honest any sci-fi setting.

Can any-one think of any possible pifalls or good ideas?

Participant

Already doing it 🙂

Scroll down on my Pulp Alley section on my blog for ARR featuring our favourite Star Wars characters and also some SG-1 action   🙂

http://zephyrcorpdreadball.weebly.com/pulp-alley

If you get the perilous island expansion it has a lot of new abilities that can model the force and more sci fi weapons which we are now incorporating in our games.

Rich J

Participant

Defining “Pulp” is a pitfall (make your saving roll…) I see no benefit to.

Derring-do is Derring-do, and represents (imo) a mindset/genre that transcends time/space – a hero is a hero and a peril is a peril no matter when/where it occurs!

Participant

Rich, thanks for the link, great to see that Pulp Alley works in a sci fi setting – I just made the plan to try to use it instead of Tomorrow’s War: http://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2014/08/08/changing-alley/

Cheers,

Shandy

Participant

I’ve been thinking about using Pulp Alley for a Blakes 7 style of game, not for any reason other then I like the figures Crooked Dice do and have been after an excuse to get them for a while.

however after a good read of the rules I can see PA working for this kind of game wonderfully

Contact me on twitter
    http://twitter.com/HobbsTheGamer or hear me witter on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast

Participant

They will work fine Mike   🙂

Participant

I’ve done some solo testing of Star Wars using Pulp Alley. The first full game is this Thursday. The rules provide for an excellent SW skirmish, infinitely better than the old West End games rules and the WoTC rules.

Nothing needs to be changed in the rules. All the changes that I have made are league construction changes. The upcoming supplement ‘Vice Alley’ has some necessary rules for Gangs (5 figures acting as one) that seem crucial to Stormtoopers, but these can be found on the various Pulp Alley forums if you can’t wait.

The author of the game suggested perhaps adding an extra Ability to each sci-fi character. This really helps profile the iconic Star Wars heroes and villains. Other sci-fi genres, like Star Trek or perhaps 40K, would not need these bonus abilities. I even add this bonus ability to the gangs. It works a charm.

Pulp Alley works great with 1 to 3 heroic members of a league, but suffers some with 4 to 6 figures necessary to mimic teams of heroes like the rebels of A New Hope. The standard league is a 4th level leader, a single 3rd level sidekick and various 1st and 2nd level underlings. A variant of a 4th level hero and two 3rd level sidekicks is also common in play. I created a special league type allowing for a lot of 2.5th level ‘almost sidekicks’ called peers to recreate some of the sci-fi teams like the iconic bounty hunters and rebel heroes. I’ll publish it on the pulpalley.com site when I think it properly tested, but it should be easy enough for anyone to do something similar.

Some of my working leagues…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48207505@N05/sets/72157645853192578

Robert

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement! --Lt. Aldo Raine

Participant

I’ve done some solo testing of Star Wars using Pulp Alley. The first full game is this Thursday. The rules provide for an excellent SW skirmish, infinitely better than the old West End games rules and the WoTC rules. Nothing needs to be changed in the rules. All the changes that I have made are league construction changes. The upcoming supplement ‘Vice Alley’ has some necessary rules for Gangs (5 figures acting as one) that seem crucial to Stormtoopers, but these can be found on the various Pulp Alley forums if you can’t wait. The author of the game suggested perhaps adding an extra Ability to each sci-fi character. This really helps profile the iconic Star Wars heroes and villains. Other sci-fi genres, like Star Trek or perhaps 40K, would not need these bonus abilities. I even add this bonus ability to the gangs. It works a charm. Pulp Alley works great with 1 to 3 heroic members of a league, but suffers some with 4 to 6 figures necessary to mimic teams of heroes like the rebels of A New Hope. The standard league is a 4th level leader, a single 3rd level sidekick and various 1st and 2nd level underlings. A variant of a 4th level hero and two 3rd level sidekicks is also common in play. I created a special league type allowing for a lot of 2.5th level ‘almost sidekicks’ called peers to recreate some of the sci-fi teams like the iconic bounty hunters and rebel heroes. I’ll publish it on the pulpalley.com site when I think it properly tested, but it should be easy enough for anyone to do something similar. Some of my working leagues… https://www.flickr.com/photos/48207505@N05/sets/72157645853192578 Robert

that all sounds really interesting Robert, I’ll wander over to the playtest site and see if I can get a look at the new rules

Contact me on twitter
    http://twitter.com/HobbsTheGamer or hear me witter on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.