Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Scratch-built galley

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I’m going to try to build a few boats for my Bronze Age armies: starting out with a Mycenaean/Minoan galley (or two: always just as easy to build a few as to build one). They’ll be “waterline” models, in a simplistic (but not unattractive) style.

20mm, if that makes any difference but I’m looking for any on-line material that may help me.

donald

Participant

Ochoin:

Here’s a PDF to peruse:

https://www.brown.edu/Departments/Joukowsky_Institute/courses/maritimearchaeology11/files/18827863.pdf

here is a very useful page I used to paint up some Bronze Age ships for a buddy of mine:

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/ships.htm

Cheers and good building.

Rod Robertson.

Much appreciated, Rod.

donald

Re; boat building.

I’m making progress. The hulls, carved out of balsa look good but despite sanding are a little rough.
    Would coating them in white (wood) glue help?

donald

Participant

The hulls, carved out of balsa look good but despite sanding are a little rough. Would coating them in white (wood) glue help? donald

Stripes of thin paper (cut from a newspaper) glued and generously coated with white glue mixed with cheap acrylic paint can be a solution; sand again when dry. I did this for pirate ships (on modified Heller Nina plastic hulls). The paper stripes can even look like planks.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Ochoin:

A light wash or two with 50% diluted water-based white acrylic paint, allow the coats to dry completely, then re-sand with fine-grain sand paper and repeat until smooth. Doing the same with latex-based diluted white glue should produce similar results if you dilute the glue before application. That’s what I have done in the past. If your worried about warping or deformation just be careful not to inundate the hull with the diluted paint. Patrice’s papier-mache method would also likely work but I have never done it so I will not comment on its efficacy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Gentlemen: thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve never built anything like this before. It’s been quite enjoyable so far.

One of the positives is the galley is simplified, by virtue of it being a usable, wargames’ model. Also, even with sources such as Salimbeti, there is a degree of lea-way in design because of the tenuous nature of the sources.

I’m currently “designing” a removable mast & sail (which I think will be lashed to the top spar for simplicity).

The pair of galleys should get a “run” next year with my Sea Peoples.

donald

Participant

Let us know how it goes, and please if you can, post pictures.

Bit of W-I-P:

[/url]

[/url]
    screenshot tool

donald

Participant

Ochoin:

Lovely work and the result is most impressive. Do not fear to be gawdy. Some Bronze Age ships were lavishly decorated with carvings which were very colourfully painted and lacquered. Go hawg-wild if the muses move you to do so! Thanks for posting your progress and best wishes for the season.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Very good looking !!!!

Ochoin: Lovely work and the result is most impressive. Do not fear to be gawdy. Some Bronze Age ships were lavishly decorated with carvings which were very colourfully painted and lacquered. .

Thanks, Rod. I seem to have some spare time after another run-in over at TMP 87))).

My research took some weird turns: amongst other twists into the wet-world of Teredo navalis.

pine trees can become riddled with tunnels within 16 weeks of being in the water and oaks within 32 weeks, with whole trees 30 centimetres (12 in) in diameter being completely warped within a year.”

I figure  you’d be lucky to keep a vessel afloat for 2-3 years? So decoration may have been rather superfluous at times?

At any rate, I decided plain & warlike would suit.

donald

Participant

Most of these ships spent more time out of water than in. They were rolled up on beaches  when not in use and repaired.  So some could be rebuilt for years of use.

Participant

Ochoin:

No time to talk now but you might find this interesting:

http://www.deguwa.org/data/File/Bohrmuschel-Mueller.pdf

Cheers and Merry Christmas/Season’s Greetings.

Rod Robertson.

Nice point, KB. I hadn’t considered this, which is dumb as I see these galleys as glorified Canadian canoes.

Rod: you’d have to be a complete Geek to like that article. I love it!

donald

Participant

Ochoin:

Geek On!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

And finished:

donald

Participant

All right !!!

Participant
    Participant

Ochoin:

The galleys are lovely. Well done! If they are for 20 mm minis, what are the dimensions of your ship models? Will you base them or leave them free-standings?

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

If they are for 20 mm minis, what are the dimensions of your ship models? Will you base them or leave them free-standings? 

Rod: about 9 inches long. Yes, they’re for 1/72-20mm gaming & will be placed on the “terrain” (well, the “water”, obviously).

We use the Field of Glory rules & always keep within the same Army book. So the natural enemy of the Mycenaeans would be the Hittites….but I don’t have any. So my burgeoning Mycenaean army (about 800 points at the moment) will take on the NKE of which I have over 1000 points. Latest unit (just finished) was these:

I have Caesar & Newline NKE chariots but I like variety. When I acquired a set of the old Atlantic Egyptian chariots, I realised they needed work……
    new wheels
    axle replaced with a longer length of wire & moved to rear
    additional detail on the chariot body
    driver given a whip

Still a bit “toy-like” but not too bad.

I’d love to move into a campaign with the period but FoG seemingly reneged on their earlier promise to publish campaign & siege rules.

donald

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.