Home Forums WWII Starting with Bolt Action

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I just bought the starter box for the Bolt Action game. I have previously bought the rulebook 2nd edition first.

What are your thought on this game and are there anything else I need to buy to get me started? Do you have any good tutorial to help me learn faster?

Participant

I have played a couple of games of “Bolt Action” and found it an easy game to learn, I like the fact that you can’t use all your units every turn.  This makes the players use tactics more, rather than just shooting everything hell for leather.  The best way to learn is to play it solo and looking at the box contents more than enough to have a good skirmish game.

Participant

Just to agree with Willz, I’ve played some games. There are rule sets I like better but it’s not a bad set and we’ve had a lot of fun with it. You’ve got two sides in the box, I’d play some solo games.
    I don’t know about anybody else, but whilst I can read wargames rules, it’s only after I’ve tried playing a game that they come together and start making sense 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

I bought the band of brothers box set as I found it cheap in a shop in Lincoln, £40 unopened. I’ve build most of the miniatures but never played a game. I like the new starter set they have recently released.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Bolt Action is a fun system, I’ll echo what the other posters mentioned that its easiest to learn by playing, either with a solo game from the boxset or stopping by your local FLGS.

Participant

Thanks everyone. You suggested to me that I play solo. Do you have tips to help me play solo and still have fun?

Just to agree with Willz, I’ve played some games. There are rule sets I like better but it’s not a bad set and we’ve had a lot of fun with it. You’ve got two sides in the box, I’d play some solo games. I don’t know about anybody else, but whilst I can read wargames rules, it’s only after I’ve tried playing a game that they come together and start making sense 🙂

You are like me. I need to play a few times to learn and understand all the rules.

I bought the band of brothers box set as I found it cheap in a shop in Lincoln, £40 unopened. I’ve build most of the miniatures but never played a game. I like the new starter set they have recently released.

One question for you. What kind of glue do you use to glue your Bolt Action miniatures? I have used Tamiya Extra Thin Cement but it’s not working.

Participant

Bizarre, I want to include photos but they always say they are too large and can’t download it. I always use my iPad and never had this issue before.

Do you know what should be the preferred dimensions for the photos?

Keymaster

Less than 1mb if possible. 300kb should be more than good enough quality though.

Participant

Less than 1mb if possible. 300kb should be more than good enough quality though.

As somebody working on 3meg rural broadband, 300kb is plenty good enough 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Keymaster

Yeah the front page news images are often less than 100kb.

Participant

StuG:

Try using cyanoacrylate glue for metal and resin parts as well as plastic. It is quick bonding, strong but can shear and break if shocked by impacts.

Good luck with the solo gaming and with luck you’ll find some other local  players to enjoy the hobby with.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Where do I go to transform my 3mbs photos into a smaller format that could be added here? All the photos I take with my iPad are not under 3mbs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.