Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy What rules/system are you using?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A couple of years ago I migrated over to Kings of War and gave up on Warhammer Fantasy Battles, and haven’t regretted the change. But I was wondering how many of you might still be playing WFB — perhaps even ‘Oldhammer’ — or are doing something completely different for your fantasy gaming.

Editor, Battlegames
    http://battlegames.co.uk
    Battlegames on Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/battlegames
    Author, The Wargaming Compendium
    http://amzn.to/leWoNO

Participant

Hi

I am waiting on a copy of WFB 3rd edition and the armies book in the post. I played it when I was a teenager and gave up on it and sold everything off. I have a hankering for fun games ( mad goblin fanatics etc) and in a fit of nostalgia ordered the rules. I have dragged my old dark elf army from the attic and will start to gather an Orc & Goblin force soon.  Most will probably be from Mantic rather than GW, although I will try to scratch build a pump wagon during the week

Phil

Today is a good day to diet

Participant

Hordes of the Things for me.  I like DBA as well, so HotT was a natural choice to go for for my forays into fantasy wargaming.  One of the things I found is good with it is the ‘Arthurian’ period (based upon Bernard Cornwall’s Warlord Trilogy).  HotT feels to me as if the scale is a bit smaller than DBA in terms of representing army numbers, plus you can have heroes and magicians, for instance.

Participant

HOTT for me too, it’s got a sense of humour.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

WHFB 2nd ed for me, the three booklets in the red box version. I have been given a copy of every edition since then apart from the last two but 2nd ed still plays well for me and the DIY approach to stats and points makes it flexible enough to cope with virtually any army. It plays even better with 80s style miniatures as well.

Participant

Mainly Two Hour Wargames rules, Warrior Heroes, Swordplay and Red Sand, Black Moon. I’ve got several Ganesha Games sets as well.

I picked up WHFB 2nd edition recently but haven’t put an army together yet. I’m going to have to change this font, numbers are displayed at the size of lower case letters.

Edit, looks OK when it’s posted so I’ll live with it.

Participant

I play in 15mm and like mass battles, hundreds of minis going at each other……A friend at my local club (Plymouth Association of Wargamers) has suggested Kings of War and I think it will work quite well.

I have played Hail Caesar Fantasy which is a web based addition to the rule book and also Principles of War Ancients, again a Yahoo Group set of rules which has not been published yet so it’s free, for which I wrote my own fantasy additions.

Both play very well, especially for someone like me who does like big battles.

There are some pictures on my blog

http://www.warrenswargamerantings.blogspot.com

Comments welcome

Participant

There are some pictures on my blog http://www.warrenswargamerantings.blogspot.com Comments welcome

Warren – that’s a nice blog and you’re fantasy stuff is great! Thanks for the rules tip.

Editor, Battlegames
    Battlegames on Patreon

Inactive

Mainly Two Hour Wargames rules, …Swordplay…

And Rally Round the King for mass battles.

Participant

Mostly HotT – I’ve got 40 armies now so kinda keen on it – but have recently used IHMN for LOTR.  Which sort of worked.  I’ll dig out Songs of Blades and Heroes next.

/
    Chief Sarcaster at http://www.exmouthwargames.org.uk/
    Assistant Dogsbody at http://legionaryshow.co.uk/
    /

Participant

Using warhammer, but fantasy is a bit new to me, coming from it the wrong way, forty years of historical then moving to fantasy for some light relief. Only using warhammer because I had played warhammer ancients so its like meeting an old friend, but that’s not to say I wont be turning my back on him in the future.

Participant

Mostly we play our weekly D&D game.  But sometimes when our characters wander into war zones, we use a mash-up with Mordheim/Warhammer/D&D rules.

-Michael

Participant

I got caught up in the Oldhammer madness so WFB 3rd for bigger throwdowns… though I’m still in the market for something generic, like Fantasy Rules! to use for other settings.

SOBH for little dust-ups.

Participant

I still like and play the LOTR SBG rules and my variant of Commands & Colors Ancients for fantasy play. (Mine is similar to BattleLore 2nd. Edition, a great game in its own right.)

I play the occasional WFB 8th edition game. The sharks at the local store are ultra-competitive on the national tournament scene. I feel like I’m entering a dark alley in the movie CA Clockwork Orange each time I attend a WFB event. The armies are lovely. The game play is savage, but mercifully over after 6 turns.

After exploring Pulp Alley for sci-fi, I’ll likely also try it for fantasy. Others have had great success with that.

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement! --Lt. Aldo Raine

Participant

I prefer to use the excellent ‘God of Battles’ system by Jake Thornton for my bigger mass-battle affairs which I usually play with my 15mm armies. We even got a bit of a community going here in Denmark and there have been talks about a grand get together soon. My only caveat – and niggle – in regards to GOB is that it is a bit too limited in its approach to Fantasy; it’s firmly set to the ranges that Foundry produced/produces and thus it ends up being a bit narrow in its scope.

For my more skirmishy affairs I tend to use my own homebrew skirmish set that I’ve been working on/off over the years. It’s finally getting done after many a revision.

Participant

I’m working on a serious simulation game called Chainmail Bikini.

It’s the Sword and Sorcery end of fantasy, all mighty thews and evil sorcerers, as seen in 1930s pulps.  It’s at the point where skirmish wargames and RPGs meet and drink heavily.

I do all my own stunts.

Participant

I mostly only play Fantasy with my brothers so Warhammer 3rd edition or the 6th with some (many) house rules. I’ve been heavily into Oldhammer the last year or so, building a Chaos army and collecting both greenskins and Dwarfs for future projects. Having said that I downloaded and intend to try King of Wars eventually, and I also recently got a copy of Armies of Arcana, which we might give a go at some point.

I just started an Oldhammer blog, for those interested : Of Marauders and Citadels

http://murawskiminiatures.com

http://maraudersandcitadels.blogspot.ca

http://parlabouchedemescanons.blogspot.ca/

http://www.clashofempires.ca/

Inactive

I’m working on a serious simulation game called Chainmail Bikini. It’s the Sword and Sorcery end of fantasy, all mighty thews and evil sorcerers, as seen in 1930s pulps. It’s at the point where skirmish wargames and RPGs meet and drink heavily.

OMG, what isn’t to like about that title?  Much as I dislike (use that word) chain mail bikinis even in games, I love the “What, me worry?” vibe of the title.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Howard Whitehouse wrote:</div>
    I’m working on a serious simulation game called Chainmail Bikini. It’s the Sword and Sorcery end of fantasy, all mighty thews and evil sorcerers, as seen in 1930s pulps. It’s at the point where skirmish wargames and RPGs meet and drink heavily.

OMG, what isn’t to like about that title? Much as I dislike (use that word) chain mail bikinis even in games, I love the “What, me worry?” vibe of the title.

Thank you! Why, I am wearing a plastic horned helmet as I type. Since it was clearly made for small children, it sits on my skull like some sort of absurd Viking yarmulka.

I do all my own stunts.

Participant

My fantasy rules of choice are Lord of the Rings. To me, fantasy games are all about the heroes, and LOTR gets them right: They’re not army-slaughtering ubermenschen, and they’re not the faceless guys in the middle of the front row that give you a +1 bonus. In LOTR heroes can do amazing deeds yes, but they also lead charges, bolster the courage of panicking units, and generally be the right person in the right place at the right time.

Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Glenn (Sonny) Wilson wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Howard Whitehouse wrote:</div> I’m working on a serious simulation game called Chainmail Bikini. It’s the Sword and Sorcery end of fantasy, all mighty thews and evil sorcerers, as seen in 1930s pulps. It’s at the point where skirmish wargames and RPGs meet and drink heavily.

OMG, what isn’t to like about that title? Much as I dislike (use that word) chain mail bikinis even in games, I love the “What, me worry?” vibe of the title.

Thank you! Why, I am wearing a plastic horned helmet as I type. Since it was clearly made for small children, it sits on my skull like some sort of absurd Viking yarmulka.

That is an image to try and perceive…

Participant

I still collect Oldhammer/4e figures, but only really get them off the shelf for our Armies of Arcana campaign. We’ve had 3 detailed campaigns over the past 18 months, and I’m sure we’ll be be starting a 4th before the year ends.

- Simon |
    www.wartornuk.com

Participant

Henry, I’ve been kicking around adapting a set of horse and musket rules called “Shot, Steel and Stone.” Maybe you’ve heard of them? 😉

I have some notes, but haven’t been able to get anything to the table, yet.

Sink meh!

Participant

Depends on the size of the battle and what I fancy at the time:

Floating around the house / computer are about 40 different rule sets though that may get tried one day (inc SAGA / LOTR for skirmish) but the dust is getting pretty thick on these 

Participant

Andrew, the Demonworld figures are great. I kick myself for selling off my Orcs. At one point, I had “one of each” unit that had been released. Well worth getting.

Sink meh!

Participant

Henry, I’ve been kicking around adapting a set of horse and musket rules called “Shot, Steel and Stone.” Maybe you’ve heard of them? ;) I have some notes, but haven’t been able to get anything to the table, yet.

Well, blow me down, that’s something I’d like to see! 

Editor, Battlegames
    Battlegames on Patreon

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Yukon5G wrote:</div>
    Henry, I’ve been kicking around adapting a set of horse and musket rules called “Shot, Steel and Stone.” Maybe you’ve heard of them? ;) I have some notes, but haven’t been able to get anything to the table, yet.

Well, blow me down, that’s something I’d like to see!

Soon!

Sink meh!

I use Rally Round the King for large battles and Ganesha Games Song of Blades for skirmish type games.

Participant

So if I could redirect this ever so slightly (or expand, if you like) what rules would you RECOMMEND to someone who only ever played WH about an eon ago, but likes the look and feel of the new Microworld offerings, and is trying to find multiple uses for his newly-completed battle boards? Typically, I’m more of a sci fi and modern guy, but a 6mm undead army has a distinct appeal, and Microworld has been doing such great things lately. I’m considering a possible fantasy Romans versus Beastmen or Greeks versus Skeletons (vide: Clash of the atitans or Jason and the Argonauts?).

So what would you, the fantasy groupmind, recommend?

Participant

I would go for the Rebel Miniatures Mighty Armies – small numbers of troops to give you a quick low cost intro and enough complexity to last.

Participant

Hi, it depends on scale of figs and game level for what rules I use.

For my 25/28mm individual figs I have been using Armies of Arcana for years. This is a great set of rules. Everything Warhammer could be if updated. One roll for combat. Army lists all in the same book AND a DIY section. I still occasionally pull out my Battlesystem since they are solid and have a DIY section too.

I also have 15/18mm figs. I have used Warmaster in the past. However, the lack of being able to design my own army lists for armies and units not included in the rules (plus some basing issues) I drifted away from them. Lately I have been using Mighty Armies from Rebel Minis. This a nice set of rules. Wide variety of armies. You can assign various abilities in their DIY section and even have Campaign info. These rules could become my default set if there was a dedicated place for fans to discuss them. They also need a little tweaking here and there to get them just right.

Now I have been waiting for the release of Bear Yourselves Valiantly by Chris Palmer and Buck Surdu. I have been watching the battle reports on these for a while now. They are for large games and are based on the Look Sarge no Charts rules concepts. The thing that immediately ramped up my interest is that I read a battle report where a gent was using his individually mounted 25/28mm figs on a large base. Frankly, I have more 25mm stuff painted and ready to go than my 15mm. This pushed me from probably going to buy the rules into the gotta have em status!

Thanks,

John

Participant

For skirmish we use Songs of Blades & Heroes rules the gameplay really flows well and are suitable for our multi-player games.

For our massed fantasy battles we’ve concocted a dice driven version of Command & Colours/Battlelore.

Participant

The last fantasy game I had was a few years ago, using Armies of Arcana. Really nice system, even the magic felt properly integrated, useful but not overwhelming. I quite like the custom unit design thing it has going. I feel it’s one of those systems that not enough people know of really, kinda does everything Warhammer did when it was still a decent game (6th edition, now to wait for people to yell at me that I’m wrong ) and a little bit more besides, though getting rid of the tooling up of heroes and fine customisation to focus on the troops and monsters. That game definitely likes you throwing the fantastical monsters into your army.

Participant

I still use 2nd Edition Warhammer… Indeed the same copy I bought in 1984.

I do own all the other versions, but like the simplicity and RPG elements that were encouraged in 2nd Edition.

Participant

I use Fantasized Adventures from Great River Games for my role playing game.  Free rules from the internet.  Like how the player has control of how their character developes rather than the rules telling you how.

Participant

I’m really starting to love the 7th voyage rules for fantasy games.. Great characterful games with only a handful of figs and a small table.

Participant

Writing my own at the moment but I have always loved HOTT.

formerly known as "wargamer1972"

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.