Home Forums WWII WW2 6mm East Front game using Fields of Honor on blog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It has been 3 months since my last AAR and I had forgotten how much fun it is to write one up (of course, in the same time Just Jack has posted 29 battreps so my 1 may seems incidental).  Anyway, it was using some 6mm forces on a small table to try out different rules using the skirmish campaigns book “Red Guards at Kursk”.  I started the game in May but had a hiatus and finished it yesterday. The rules this time were Fields of Honor, a boardgame masquerading as a miniatures game.  Card activation and a fairly simple combat mechanism produced a fun game.

The full AAR can be found on my blog:

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/6mm-ww2-russia-43-holding-back-tide.html

Here is a teaser pic of the infantry melee in the woods.

Participant

Hi Shaun, good read. I think you must have an excellent collection of scenario books.

As soon as I read that you had a SU 152, I wondered how long it would last in the game and how it would perform – in my games, it always seems to go early when on the attack. I smiled when I saw it had a similar survival rate in your games as I had been experiencing.

Did you think the scenario was balanced? It gives an impression that the Soviets might need either a few more tanks or a bit more cover if they are to get through the scenario.

Participant

On balance, I think it was a combination of the rules I was using  and a possible slight advantage to the Germans.  The Fields of Honor rules have tanks bogging in woods, but in other rules possibly they could move to the edge of the woods and fire at the PanzerIVs from there.  Also no penalties for firing at moving, 2 shots if stationary and it is really biased to the Germans.  The infantry melee is not fast; if faster maybe the infantry could have assaulted (or at least threatened) the PanzerIVs).   I think one or two more T34s would balance the scenario for the first play through.  There is something I am probably missing that would require a few plays to see if it is balanced or not.

Oh, and the SU-152 I thought would last longer.  I did not know they were cursed 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.