Home Forums Fantasy Horror Zombies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

In game terms what sort of zombie do you prefer?

The rager or the walker?
    The biter or the mutant tentacle head?

Participant

Walking (well shambling) biters for me (well, not for me… for others that are slower than me)

Participant

I prefer rage zombies over the shambling ones. They’re scarier.

They don’t have to have any special mutations for me, either. Just a mouth full of teeth and no fear.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

Participant

Walking Dead for me.

Keymaster

I am not a fan of the ones that run, surely that is cheating, and also mutations freak me out. As such I am a traditionalist!

Never put a sock in a toaster.

Participant

Mostly shamblers, with some ragers around just to make things interesting.

Participant

Being dead is not a super power, so when it comes to zombies I prefer the shambling flesh eaters. Rage virus victims are the “infected” they are not zombies (I know I’m banging my head against a brick wall by making that statement but it grinds my inner geek when people refer to the infected as zombies, afterall, you wouldn’t point at a goat and say “that’s a nice banana you’ve got there ” would you? No. Because they are two different things). lol 😉

Participant

However, having said the above I would add that in my games the zombies do have two speeds; one for when they are being observed by a player character and a faster one for when they are not. And you can’t count as observing if you are firing a missile weapon or engaging in a melee.

Participant

I remember the good old days when zombies were dead corpses animated by some AD&D necromancers. They had discipline, they obeyed to black magic users, and clerics still believed in religions and were able to repulse them.

Young zombies today don’t know how to behave, they haven’t been properly raised. Also they seem to carry dangerous germs around, I blame the Health care system.

And my avatar is not a banana.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Keymaster

So, if true undead is it decapitation?
    If some sort of infected, will normal damage do, or a head shot?

I have ‘stricken’ which are infected runners.
    They are harder to take down and as such they get a saving throw to represent the shot not being ‘fatal’.

Participant

I play by Romero’s Rules so to “kill” a zombie you must destroy its brain. We used to use a d6 with a skull for the 6, throw one die for each bullet you fired and a skull got you a head shot – everything else was a miss or a hit to no effect. Later on we moved to pulling wound chits out of a cup but you still needed a head hit.

It’s probably worth pointing out that my game was loosely based on ‘The Running Man’ film so players ran teams of up to four characters and I, as GM, ran the Stalkers who were mostly based on movie monsters E.G. we had Mad Max, Lord Humongous, The Terminator, the zombie pack, the Bubble from the Prisoner, a Dalek, the zenomorph from Alien etc. We played on a 6ft by 4ft table covered  with 2ft by 2ft tiles each of which (sometimes a pair of tiles) was a themed zone; urban, ruins, forest etc. The idea was that each player secretly chose a direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) to run around the zones and that whichever team completed the most laps won. Characters were activated by chits pulled from a cup with ad “Advert Break” chit also added that, when pulled, ended the turn resulting in all chits being put back in the cup. Stalkers were added in response to an (unfavourable) audience reaction throw made during the advert break.  Of course players could, and did, attack each other as well as fight off the Stalkers.

Later games featured “Power Ups” that were counters which, when activated and removed from play, granted the player a boon such as healing a wound or gaining an extra weapon or more ammunition. Randomised mined zones were also added to liven things up a bit and were set off on a certain roll for movement, but the Stalkers were immune to mines. Eventually my players collected their own teams and some guy bought a Terminator squad (another guy bought a squad of Predators). I immediately invoked the Hollywood Rule that one monster is well hard but lots of them are just cannon fodder (see Alien then Aliens for an example). I also retconned the zombie virus into being caused by nanites (made of Handwavium) so it could effect Terminators. Characters that got bit came under my control and joined the zombie pack.

Anyway I seem to have gone off topic, apologies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.