Home Forums Modern 6mm Cold War Soviets and West Germans

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

First, Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans!

Apparently my massive sale was exactly what I needed!  Clear out some detritus to make way for real progress, and real progress it’s been: I have now completed my second major project since the sale!  This was a Cold War project, Soviets and West Germans in 6mm from Heroics and Ros.  Right now, at least, I don’t intend on actually playing Cold War stuff, but, as is my wont, I will be using these in my alternate history blog, Cuba Libre, to play out the Fall of Cronistria.  So the West Germans will be standing in as Free Cubans, and the Soviets will be Communist Cronistrians and their Yugoslavian backers.

So, what did I do?  Well, first and foremost, I’m a solo gamer, so I always have to do both sides, and when I do both sides, I typically build them not to ‘real-life’ Tables of Organization and Equipment (TO&E), rather, I build identical capabilities.  Because when I do actually get to play against another human, it’s my 9-year old son, and so I like, as much as possible, to keep things fair.  And you’ll see it in some of the games, as I do it not just with force structure with troop capabilities.  Rather than play the ‘normal’ NATO kills WarPac at a 3-1 ratio, I make an M-1/Challenger/Leopard II equal to a T-64/T-72/T-80, I make a Bradley/Warrior/Marder equal to BMP-1/BMP-2, etc…  In any case, this may look a little weird because I took Soviet Motor Rifle Division and Tank Division and sorta ‘bathtubbed’ them, where each battalion is represented by two vehicles. So an MRR has six BTRs and two T-64s, while a TR has six T-80s and 2 BMPs.  Additionally, each regiment has a two-gun (self-propelled) artillery battery, and there are divisional command, recce, and anti-air assets.  Then I copied it and did the same for the West Germans, ostensibly creating either a Panzer or Panzergrenadier Division.

Let’s get to the pics!

The whole thing, Soviets on the left, Germans on the right (with a bit of unpainted leftovers at top center).  Again, everything is 6mm from HR.  The painting went quick, except all those damned wheels! 😉

Leo IIs on the prowl.  I’ve always had an affinity for the Leopard II, just a really beautiful (in a martial way), deadly looking beast.

And their Red counterparts.

To see more pics, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/07/6mm-cold-war-soviets-and-west-germans.html

Thanks for looking, more to come!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Glad you are cranking troops out again Jack!!  They look great and I’m waiting on some AAR’s !!!

I like the new H&R infantry much better than all the competitors I’ve seen. All those tanks is an intimidating sight. Poor M113s dwarfed by everything else.

Participant

Nice paint job 👍

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Great stuff Jack, I love your independent approach to things.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Kyote – Yeah man, feels good to get back in the swing of things.  I’m typing up an old batrep right now, so that I can get to playing some new fights.

Thomaston – Absolutely, those Soviet Motor Rifle troops are awesome.  And yes, those M-113s look like toys compared to all the other vehicles.

I appreciate the kind words, Ian and Martin, thanks!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Lovely looking kit you have there, and also good to see some love for H&R. I have to agree about their new infantry, they really are top notch.

Participant

Thanks, Iain, I appreciate it, and HR has become my go-to company for 6mm, both WWII and modern.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Happy July the Fifth Jack!

The micro-armour is looking good!

Hey there Kyoteblue.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Happy 5th of July to you, too, and thanks!

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.