Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Enough Already with the 3mm Scale Warmaster

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So you may know I’m still working on Travel Warmaster, not really because of wanting to travel with it but because of wanting terrain that I can set up fast but not having the time or patience to build it or really to buy it. So, 3D Printing to the rescue, I got some Hexton Hills tiles printed up at 200% scale and they make great 3mm scale terrain don’t you know. The project took off this weekend after a terrible couple of weeks at work dictated some small win for me. Here are the tiles, prepped and ready to go:

And I decided that spray paint was the best route for base coating, so I went with a few Vallejo colors. Originally I meant to go with the yellow as a highlight but my brain is all over the place and so I did it on the bottom, then highlighted with a few shades of green. Oddly it worked the way I wanted: spring-summer terrain, not overly cartoony or verdant, a mix of burnt and blooming grass.

Now to highlight and build up “growies.” This direction feels right so far.

Participant

Well that ‘mistake’ worked well 🙂

Participant

Yes! Somehow it worked right despite my idiocy.

Participant

What a wonderful idea 👍 and I like the look of these tiles. Way better than my flimsy 3d printed terrain.

Keymaster

Yeah that looks nice, and not enough 3mm warmaster, moar!!

Participant

Those are shaping up to be quite lovely. How many are you doing in total?

Participant

Those are shaping up to be quite lovely. How many are you doing in total?

My standard size battlefield is going to be 13 to 17 tiles plus edges.

Participant

Coming along very nicely.  And a new technique learned to boot.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Yeah, I almost don’t want to touch these aside from the spray! But I’m going to be brave. At the least I’m doing the trees. And cheers to Vallejo spray cans, the quality of the paint is amazing. Great color rendition. Also I have the second part of this project arriving today and I’m excited to work on this over the weekend, since I have to go overseas again next week.

Participant

Minor setback that may actually work out well in the long run. So, two printers have worked on this project for me, let’s call them Guy One and Guy Two. My great bane is that I haven’t yet found a resin that doesn’t make me ill in its liquid form, regardless of respirator and skin protection. So I rely on the (paid) kindness of strangers to make my prints. It is in no way economical for me but it’s the best I can do.

So Guy One did a reasonably workmanlike job for me, but the parts arrived pretty knocked around. I figured, cost of doing business. But then he moved on, and to complete the set I brought in Guy Two. And Guy Two – night and day, man. He did a supremely beautiful job, like no comparison. And he even sent some specially scaled carrying cases to store the tiles in – that good, man. He also revealed that Guy One rescaled the tiles off by about 5% so the new ones which are true 200% up-scaled don’t quite fit with the old ones. So I’m kind of having to re-make my initial set now.

Hobbies I have known. Nevertheless I guess it’s just the learning process. I think I will still paint the first set and use it as a proof of concept. When I re-do the set with Guy Two now, I will have my pattern down, and then maybe I can pass on my initial set to someone who will get some fun out of it as well. Still a little frustrating but this is the nature of having to rely on others to help you with your persnickety and highly perfectionist hobbies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.