Home Forums General General Mikes Way of Basing 10mm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

A couple of people have asked on other places how I base my 10mm WFB.

So here is a how I do it sort of guide:

Stick the model on the base with superglue.

Build up around the integral metal base or strip, I used the same method when basing strips, using cheap plasticine.

Smooth off and then using a cocktail stick, cover the plasticine with superglue.
    This gives it a crispy shell and makes it less squishy.

Apply the basing texture with a small brush.

Wait overnight for it to dry.

Spray the model and once painted, I basecoat the ground in cheap tan craft paint.
    When dry give it a neat wash with this ink, then once dry, drybrush it with the original colour.

To flock, I use 1mm static grass, tufts and other bits of clump foliage pulled apart.

First I use a brush to apply Mod Podge where I want the first layer of static grass to go.
    Hold the model and swish it around in the flocking tub, shake off the excess and then give it a blow.

I have a small brush for wiping off any flock that has accidently stuck to the models feet.

Wait for this to dry, which is not too long.

Then I get a mix of PVA/Water and dish washing soap and apply that with a brush to the now dry static grass.
    Again, I swish it in the flocking tub and brush off accidental foot flock.

(The mixture is about 40% water, 40% pva and 20% soap)
    But experiment yourself as I don’t measure.
    The idea is to get the mixture just watery enough that is soaks nicely over the dry static grass you already applied. The washing up soap breaks down the surface tension of the mixture which stops it from forming blobs that just sit on the grass.

Then when this is dry (takes longer than the Mod Podge due to the extra wateriness), apply tufts and bits of clump foliage to taste.

I find that the tufts as they come can be too large, so the ones I have are cut into quarters and normally only 1 is stuck on (with PVA) but sometimes 2.

With the clump foliage I move it around to separate it into small bits and carefully put a few bits here and there.

Hey presto, you have nice grassy green bases that hide the integral base/strip so they look like they are stood on the ground.

One freshly resurrected undead soldier to add to the undead horde.

Also done with the same method:

Participant

It does give a good result.  And thanks for putting that up.  I’d never have thought to use dishsoap with the diluted PVA to help it soak through.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Cool ideas Mike, thanks for sharing.

Thanks both!

Participant

I concur.  A good method, though I tend to do 50% less again.

I’d never have thought to use dishsoap with the diluted PVA to help it soak through.

So you’ve never smashed one of your mums fine china pieces while washing up?? Due to the soapy liquid causing it to slip from your fingers and smash on some other crockery?? 🙂

Great mix of chemistry and science in modelling- (testing for surface tension when paper making a few decades ago) in use there!

My own similar, but using the polyfilla base (in this case built up into a shaped roadway)- while wet I put down various patches of gravel, soil, some low lying greenery grass and a few dead in the Winter rushes on the second pic (actually just unravelled twizel string pieces- not even coloured) and a top off of aquarium sand as the snow drifts.

Another Winterish scene, more rushes-

Apologies for polluting your show Mike!
    ~dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.