Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Crom’s Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,391 total)
  • Author

So because I have issues I have decided that some of my 15mm buildings will be made rather than sculpted.
    What you talking about?

So to make my buildings I have started making individual floor tiles and bricks with which to make the buildings.
    I have started on the floor tiles and next week will start on bricks, I will then make moulds of these bits which I will cast up and use the actual bricks to make the master models.

That is the plan, how long I will do this for though….?

The start of the floor tiles.

Participant

If you’re making a lot, then casting and moulding multiple copies is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately there are no 15mm equivalents of Hirst Molds or Linka that I’m aware of. (There’s an opportunity for you BTW!).

For larger areas of floor etc you might consider using pattern plasticard, eg the evergreen range. http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm (there are others).

Yeah I did look at embossed plasticard, but the recessed areas just don’t seem to be deep enough.
    A mould with 32 slabs in it will produce hundreds of tiles in next to no time and it is more satisfying to lay the slabs one by one.
    For me anyway..

Started work on the bricks, I will smooth off the corners and then mould them up.
    That will allow me to make ‘realistic’ looking fantasy buildings as they will have been built brick by brick.

yay madness!!

Smoothed off the corners and now they are in a mould.

I am also messing about with FIMO, trying to get a mud hut type feel, I reckon this would pass as muddy?

Had some I thought I would try a camp fire with, may add some green stuff logs and twigs to it.

OOOH let the fun and games commence…

I am also messing about with FIMO, trying to get a mud hut type feel, I reckon this would pass as muddy?

Very much so! Mind if I ask what technique you used to achieve that texture?

So, make it just a few mm thick maybe two or so.
    Then score some rough vertical lines in it every now and then and don’t be worried if they cross over.
    I used this to score them:

Then poke a stiff brush into it all over:

Don’t be too firm though.
    Then as the stuff is drying, poke more aggressively (more of a push than a poke) and the clay will kind of crinkle and go bumpy as you see.

I will attempt to recreate it later as I want to use this to make some huts to sell on my new site.

Great! Thanks.

The board is done, the first group of baddies are done.

My character to base (Erland)
    Samantha’s character (Eydis)
    The wolf pack.
    The buildings and man made structures.
    The terrain, hills and rocks etc.
    The other bad guys.

Then we can have one game.

Hard work this starting a new genre and scale…

Participant

Never enough to see more, Eyris still unpainted?

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Eyris still unpainted?

Afraid so, keep getting distracted…

This seem about right for a small dwelling in terms of size?

Not sure what people are used to with 15mm…

Inactive

Eyris still unpainted?

Afraid so, keep getting distracted… This seem about right for a small dwelling in terms of size? Not sure what people are used to with 15mm…

Modelling?  Yes.

Once I put a 3mm or more likely 1.5mm thick base on the figure, not so much unless everyone ducks in a doorway.

Joy of scale…

Once I put a 3mm or more likely 1.5mm thick base on the figure, not so much unless everyone ducks in a doorway.

Doorways were smaller back then though, hence these being designed so a based figure has to duck.
    My 6mm sci-fi are designed so that no ducking is required even when based.

😉

Now what are those wooden blocks for, I wonder. Mouldmaking? Or some really solid, sturdy terrain?

Now what are those wooden blocks for, I wonder. Mouldmaking? Or some really solid, sturdy terrain?

Nothing so exciting, I was just using them to plan building shapes!

What do you reckon on the size to that one above, ok for a small dwelling?

What do you reckon on the size to that one above, ok for a small dwelling?

I’d say so, yeah. Small dwellings would indeed be small. I don’t think the doorway is too low but it might be a touch wide.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but to get a really lived-in look, consider adding stuff like tatty-looking awnings and small adjoining wattle pens. Wattle is fun to model, and crude animal pens really evoke connotations of the hustle-and-bustle of “primitive” civilisations like in the first Conan movie.

Oh yes, assuming these first few simple resin models sell well, then I will be making all sorts of stuff to sell to make it more lived in.
    I am going to experiment with ‘casting’ cloth awnings at the weekend, I have a plan! 😉

You know, some 10 years back (maybe a bit less) I was modelling my own Zamoran shanty town in 28mm. I ended up scrapping it in a half-finished state but some day I’d like to reboot that project. I was going for a total “shanty slum” look so there was a lot of wattle, wattle-and-daub, woven reed and mud bricks. Great fun.

Now is a good as time as any.
    15mm this time?

Why, you’re no better than a Zamoran lotus-seller, prowling the streets of The Maul for his next victim to tempt into addiction and ruination! 

It is Stygian, the best.

So I thought maybe some steps to the roof, but are these steps too big?
    Maybe half the height so twice as many?

Already decided. Those are too big. 

For realism, definitely go for half the height and twice as many. Steps are typically around 8-10 to the average height of a full-grown person. That said, I’ve noticed that a lot of terrain modellers prefer to make their stairs “stylised” as in your photo, so realism is not necessarily the paradigm.

Personally I’d go for realism, or at least an approximation of it (meaning at least 6-7 steps to the height of a person, which still isn’t properly realistic but it’s close enough to fool the eye, sparing close scrutiny).

Better?

Participant

Hmm, not really keen on the stairs poking out beond the building.

Maybe put them along the longer wall?

Right now it looks odd, but wait and see, I haz a plan.

😀

FWIW, the steps probably don’t need to be quite that long/deep, unless you specifically want to keep the incline gentle for practical gaming reasons (having the figures stand on the “slope” without falling over, for which I personally prefer to rely on blu-tac instead). But anyway, that’s just splitting hairs and you’ve built the stairs already so I’ll shut up about it now.

On another note, it’s easy to forget that the figures and terrain in these photos are 15mm and not 28mm, unless I look at the other items around them. That’s meant as a compliment – great job making 15mm look as rich and immersive as 28mm.

Inactive

Doorways were smaller back then though, hence these being designed so a based figure has to duck.
    My 6mm sci-fi are designed so that no ducking is required even when based.

😉

Well, that is great attention to historical (past, present, future) detail.

That’s meant as a compliment – great job making 15mm look as rich and immersive as 28mm.

Thanks. It is all very new to me. But I am sure after a few releases I can bring my level of detail from my 6mm to 15mm and then some.

FWIW, the steps probably don’t need to be quite that long/deep, unless you specifically want to keep the incline gentle for practical gaming reasons (having the figures stand on the “slope” without falling over, for which I personally prefer to rely on blu-tac instead). But anyway, that’s just splitting hairs and you’ve built the stairs already so I’ll shut up about it now.

Hmmm I must have a measure of them. My 6mm was always done to look a certain way rather than be to scale. It will be easier to actually do 15mm to scale. Staircase number three could be on the cards.  🙂

Just had a quick look, yeah will reduce the tread on the steps.

Thanks feedback think tank.

re-done, the treads now equate to being about 9″ which is what normal steps are, or thereabouts.

Participant

Muy bien!

Looks a whole lot better imo.

Participant

Yes! now looks perfect.

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Inactive

I like it.

Quite honestly stairs (fighting on same) look good in movies but are hard to duplicate in miniature when bases are involved.

I like it.

Quite honestly stairs (fighting on same) look good in movies but are hard to duplicate in miniature when bases are involved.

Cheers, indeed they are.

Participant

First coat of texture for the walls.

I have:

The door to finish.
    Touch up the curtains/drapes in the windows.
    The last bit of texture.
    Details on the walls.

Then I think it will be done, then maybe two more before I make them available..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.