Home Forums Ancients Battle of Carrhae solo report small table with own rules on blog

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is another game in play testing my new ancient rules by replaying historical battles. This one is the Battle of Carrhae 53BC between Crassus and the Parthians.  I am play testing the rules by chronologically replaying all the Peter Sides scenarios from his Historical Battles books.   I was using my own rules – Ancient Battlelines Clash (ABC) – for the previous games but am now using new rules that are played on a 12×12 grid and are sort of like a combination of DBA 1.0 and Ancient Battlelines Clash.  To be lazy, these are called Ancient Battlelines Clash – Gridded. I am stull writing the body of these rules.

Note: I have been trying to grid my rules for years now.  Over the Christmas break I decided to play DBSA (the precursor to DBA1.0) on a grid (using the DBA on a grid rules from John’s Wargaming Page – thanks John, it has only been 10 years since I said I may give them a go) to see if I could steal some ideas.  But instead I ended up changing these rules a lot, incorporating many ABC ideas.  But it does play on a grid!  It is as if DBA 1.0 and ABC had a baby on a square grid 🙂

The battle lasted all of 2 turns! The battle report is here:

https://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com/2022/03/battle-of-carrhae-53bc-using-ancient.html

I acquired a carpet tile and marked some grids, just in case I did not like the game.  I may grid up a grass mat if I play these more and still enjoy them. And here is a shot of the initial battleline clash:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.