Home Forums General General Companies that talk

• This topic has 33 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Avatar photoSplod.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Are you any more likely to buy from a company that you see as being part of the online gaming community?

Very vague I know, but hopefully you get my jist.

Participant

Yes. People like Peter of Baccus and the Lardies contribute to several sites. It helps to give a human ‘face’ to a commercial organisation.

Participant

I like being able to talk to Ivan of Nordic Weasel, Shawn of Ambush Alley and Geoff of QRF/TSS so yes this is a good thing.

Participant

Yes but liking the proprietor only helps if the product is what I want at a price I’ll pay. I’d consider it a tiebreaker.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Agree with you McKinstry, but however…sometimes being able to interact with the proprietor makes me more aware of the product’s good points and desirability…so it’s a little more than a tie-breaker. For me.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Depends on what they say, doesn’t it?

Not mentioning any other forums but if someone writes, just for an argument, offensive drivel, it’s more likely I wouldn’t send them my hard earned cash.

I think that by & large silence might be a wise course for at least some manufacturers.

donald

Participant

I like being able to interact with the people I buy from.

Participant

It’s not the only deciding factor, but it’s definitely a big influence.

I like buying from cool people.

Suppliers engaging with the community does often lead me to purchasing with them however I had one or two instance where the supplier has acted like an idiot so I purchase from else where.

Participant

Pednraken are a great company for this IMHO. They host an active forum, listen to feedback on their ranges and new ones that we, the gamers, would like to see. Any problems with a purchase and then bend over backwards to sort it out. Oh and you can buy a single figure if you so wish. What’s not to like?

Participant

It helps, but it’s one factor among many, so I’m not sure how much it influences my decisions.

On the other hand, sometimes I go to a trader’s website because of how they act on forums etc, and am then disappointed to find they don’t cover periods/scales that I’m interested in :/

Military history author

Participant

I second Ochoin. I have in the past been somewhat disappointed by statements made by some individuals. I do try to separate the product from the individual, but for example, if I had the option to purchase 28mm Vikings from Manufacturer A or Manufacturer B, and I thought A was a bit of an idiot…

On the whole I think it is a very positive thing to have manufacturers/vendors who engage with their audience.  One of my favourite things about attending shows is the chance to say hi to people who I have previously only dealt with online. Top marks, (in no particular order..)  Peter at Baccus, Rich of Too Fat Lardies, Nic from Eureka, Leon at Pendraken and Allan at Lancashire Games.

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Participant

Irony alert: Experience tells me it’s better just to get on with the job and keep customers happy by getting their orders out quickly rather than try to engage with customers across a vast number of forums, Facebook and Yahoo! groups. 🙂

Ian

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

Double irony Ian, you’ve just sold me fifty quids worth of stuff because of your connection with Col Bills, whose staff I’ve come to know and like having chatted to them at several shows. Lost track of the number of times I’ve put together potential orders for your 3mm stuff and backed out at the last moment but the connection with Col Bill finally sold me on it!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

As a customer yes I like to talk with manufacturers. As a manufacturer I like to talk with my customers 🙂 I like to talk.

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Participant

Yes. Bad Squiddo Games being a very good example of this.

IMHO the online gaming community is the way to go to market wargaming products.

Participant

Yes.  Not because I think they are better human beings, but just because I’m more likely to become aware of their products.  I’m also more likely to wait for a new range to come out: if I don’t know it is coming, I might buy a different product from another manufacturer.  Plus, I’m persuadable: in 2007, when I returned to miniature wargaming after a long hiatus, Pete Berry’s “virtues of 6mm piece” persuaded me to give the size a go (along with the Polemos rules) jsut when I had become disillusioned with the idea of using Bruce Quarrie’s rules and 1/72 plastics.  I got into Nuts! for similar reasons.

Participant

Double irony Ian, you’ve just sold me fifty quids worth of stuff because of your connection with Col Bills, whose staff I’ve come to know and like having chatted to them at several shows. Lost track of the number of times I’ve put together potential orders for your 3mm stuff and backed out at the last moment but the connection with Col Bill finally sold me on it!

You’ll have the chance to see me on Colonel Bill’s at a number of shows this year and next, getting me out for more face to face meetings with customers. I prefer that to online: you meet the real person, not their tired and emotional online persona. 🙂

I also tend to prefer moderated forums – which obviously limits how much anyone ever sees of me online. And I’m very busy with Fighting 15s, so don’t often post unless something appetising comes up during a coffee break.

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

Hope to see you at Claymore then Ian!

I agree face to face meeting is by far the best. Alas finances, the need to rely on public transport and living up here in Edinburgh limit the number of shows I can justify going to. 🙁

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

In general yes.

A company that is active on the forums i visit (in a good way!)are more likely to be noticed and attract an order from me.

Why would i waste my time looking for other companies to buy from via google or whatever if i have already bookmarked a friendly sounding supplier from a forum?

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

I suppose in a way, a company or supplier being friendly when you ask them a question helps assure that if the order goes wrong, your problem will get fixed.

I’ve had one or two instances where an inquiry about this or that miniature was met pretty roughly and I didn’t order, because if I open the package and realize I got the wrong thing, I didn’t have faith that I could get it fixed.

On a personal note, with rules, I’ve noticed that in the “indie” rules sphere, people put a lot of stock in being able to just email and ask a question. So I try to be good about that 🙂

Participant

Of course, having a company relentlessly appearing on a thread to boost its profile to readers in utter, shameful self-promotion may itself become a bit wearing. 🙂

There are also snags to appearing in a public forum. The owner may take an irrational dislike to a business, banning it and leading it to set up its own lines of communication with hobbyists. Or a member of a forum may be a self-confessed pirate who sees no wrong in copying products if they feel they themselves can justify it on an ethical whim. Both may lead to a company pulling out of supporting what some might see as a vital means of communication with customers. I don’t advertise on two major wargames sites for those reasons, and engage with them only infrequently: on one of them you’ll often see posts wondering why certain companies don’t read, or have a presence on, the site, the answer to which is the owner is a five-star cuckoo-bananas loon (it’s OK Michael, it’s not you).

I run a Facebook page where anyone can engage with me if they so choose, and evidently I moderate it. As I said above, there are lots of forums and groups and it is impossible to run a busy business full-time and stay on top of all of them; I think it is unrealistic to expect to find a particular business active on every single one.

You’ll usually find me on Lead Adventure or The Guild, BTW – and I don’t check in every day.

Coffee break over. 🙂

Ian
    Fighting 15s
    www.fighting15s.com

Participant

Depends on what they say, doesn’t it? Not mentioning any other forums but if someone writes, just for an argument, offensive drivel, it’s more likely I wouldn’t send them my hard earned cash.

I couldn’t agree more, especially when past ridiculous promises had been made concerning planned releases that have never materialised. Mind you I’m glad I only bought one units worth of that company’s figures.

What is really nice is when you meet people that have been really cool online and they are just as cool in person, have to agree with those already mentioned but would like to add Andy from H&R onto the list (even though he doesn’t pop up much on forums etc.).

Participant

One that springs to mind is Mick at Leven Miniatures.

He’s made a few special buildings for customers and is always on the lookout for suggestions.

(I like to think I had a hand in one of his newest additions, the Dutch fronted townhouses after much nagging!)

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

You’d think a manufacturer could only do himself good by, sanely, addressing questions on gaming forums when asked about his products. You might be wrong.

I believe Sam Mustafa gave up on forums after being hounded with negative comment by people, who in all likelihood, didn’t even own his various rule sets. I can testify to his forbearance for quite a time.

However, if you’re willing to risk harassment, more power to you……..though posting on a properly moderated forum such as TWW would obviously be a solution.

If I was a manufacturer who had quirky, possibly offensive viewpoints (Go, Rangers!) & wanted to post about wargaming topics, I’d use a nom de plume such as “Ochoin” to hide my professional identity.

(Got you all wondering who I might actually be. No one of any importance as it so turns out).

donald

Participant

I really like to converse with both customers and non-customers, as a lot of this hobby for me is the social interaction.  However, I will go waaaaay out of my way to stay out of inflammatory conversations, especially about politics.  There have been a couple of times where I have decided against ordering from a company because the proprietor said or did things that I couldn’t allow myself to support, despite their companies having some great products.  I am far more likely to buy from someone who makes a positive impact on the hobby and the social interactions there-in.  I’ll totally give Angel Barracks, Ravenstar, Micropanzer, Sayanir Microsystems, Acheson Creations, Splintered Light, Rebel Minis and Ion Age/Alternative Armies huge props for positive interactions, some of the nicest people I have purchased from and spoken with.  Makes a huge difference to me.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I think the bottom line with traders online is the same as with any interpersonal interaction in that positive contact never hurts and can often help. Traders don’t need to be on the forums constantly but a positive presence never hurts and as Ochoin said, being a jerk certainly can’t help. I have found new products I’m unaware of through a mention by the manufacturer on a board and I certainly follow and buy from people I know and respect such as Sam Mustafa with less critical evaluation as to need than some others. In Sam’s case, I’ll buy Rommel not because I need a new WW2 set but because I know he is innovative and will support his products on his site.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

As mentioned, there’s always a risk when you are personally identified.

Most people presumably know I’m a hippie kinda guy. Maybe that’s cost a few sales in the past, maybe not.
    Ironically the only game I did that had any air of politics about it (No End in Sight) also got the most praise from people I knew were on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I do limit what I post on social media a bit and mostly just talk about gaming or share cat pictures 🙂

Participant

I think the bottom line with traders online is the same as with any interpersonal interaction in that positive contact never hurts and can often help. Traders don’t need to be on the forums constantly but a positive presence never hurts and as Ochoin said, being a jerk certainly can’t help. I have found new products I’m unaware of through a mention by the manufacturer on a board and I certainly follow and buy from people I know and respect such as Sam Mustafa with less critical evaluation as to need than some others. In Sam’s case, I’ll buy Rommel not because I need a new WW2 set but because I know he is innovative and will support his products on his site.

Even if the topic doesn’t interest me, I’ve bought 2HW and TFL rules, simply because they made them and are awesome.

Participant

Sometimes yes, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that if a company does not have an online presence, I am holding it against them.

Most important thing for me is that a company has a functioning website that gives the impression they can offer reliable service, and that has some info about their produscts. Anything else is a bonus, but not expected.

Participant

I’m incredibly picky about who gets the money I earn. While not having an online presence doesn’t mean I won’t purchase certain products, being approachable and giving the impression of being a real and (to me) likable person means I’m much more likely to send cash your way.

"You will NOT call me sir! I actually WORK for a living"
    - Every drill-sergeant ever

Participant

Mr Marsh, as you’re on here, I would like to register a complaint!

You told me last week that my order ‘might take a while’… Imagine then, my surprise and disappointment when it arrived THE VERY NEXT FLIPPIN’ DAY!

For goodness’ sake remember you’re British… Bad service, late delivery, a grumpy phone manner and vague/unfulfilled promises is our birth-right!

I must also protest your flagrant and irresponsible use of uncertified wormhole-technology, sending my order before I’ve even ordered it in a built up area!

What’s more, that meant that my package arrived ON A SATURDAY!  Which meant that the Memsahib was at home, intercepted the delivery and now knows what I spend my money on!  Until now she thought I was painting my way through the AB-Mountain accumulated while working on the trade stand, but she now knows that I’m buying more, you bounder!

Why, if you didn’t provide the world’s greatest Napoleonics at a reasonable price and with excellent customer service, I would have to take my custom elsewhere!

Bah!

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

No. I’m not going to prefer one manufacturer over another simply because they post on forums.

Participant

I feel like I have more of a connection to companies that are visible on forums and social media.

But then on the flip side, there are a couple of companies that I have decided not to buy from based on their public interactions. I’ve been given the distinct impression that the owner is a ‘douche’, and I don’t have any need for their products. No matter how nice and shiny they are.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.