Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Cutting and storing terrain tiles

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi. I am not sure yet if I should use a cloth or tiles for my terrain. For those of you that are using tiles, can you show me (with pictures) how to store your tiles?

I also want to know what is the best way to cut perfect 2 x 2 tiles. I have a Proxxon but I don’t think it will be useful because of the size of the tiles.

Thanks for your help!

Participant

I cut mine on a tablesaw – most big lumber/hardware will cut them for you if you ask.  I use 1/8 mdf with a piece of foam insulation glued on top, both cut to the same size.  I’ve seen both mdf and foam sold as 2×2 pieces here in the States, labelled as “project panels”.  But I’d bet you could buy a full sheet (4×8) of each and have them cut for a fraction of buying pre-cut panels.

Storage is in a stack in the closet with a piece of fabric in between to minimize scratches.

Participant

I cut mine on a tablesaw – most big lumber/hardware will cut them for you if you ask. I use 1/8 mdf with a piece of foam insulation glued on top, both cut to the same size. I’ve seen both mdf and foam sold as 2×2 pieces here in the States, labelled as “project panels”. But I’d bet you could buy a full sheet (4×8) of each and have them cut for a fraction of buying pre-cut panels. Storage is in a stack in the closet with a piece of fabric in between to minimize scratches.

When storing a tile that has trees and buildings glued on top, how can you prevent those trees and buildings to break when you add another tile on top?

Participant

Use a strip of styrofoam on each side of the tile and stack on that instead of directly on the tile. Or, the more object-intensive version would be to build a rack that spaces them out for you.

Participant

Use a strip of styrofoam on each side of the tile and stack on that instead of directly on the tile. Or, the more object-intensive version would be to build a rack that spaces them out for you.

Thanks. Great idea.

Participant

I never glue trees or building to terrain boards.  I always base them separately – then you can reposition them or swap out pieces to gain a great deal of more variety out of a board. It is also easier to store and costs very little time or money over fixing them to the boards. I typically have a couple standard sizes in mind (e.g. 8 inches, 6 inchs, 4 inchs) for building/forest footprints and plan locations that can accommodate them on the boards.

Participant

I never glue trees or building to terrain boards….you can reposition them or swap out pieces to gain a great deal of more variety…also easier to store…

I agree wholeheartedly with this.  Using the rigid insulation foam for tiles* allows me to pin my terrain (rather than base it, which eliminates ‘extra’ footprint) which gives, as Logain mentioned, great flexibility for layout.  Storage is a box with a sheet of foam into which the items are pinned -if a deep box, multiple layers can be stacked as per Mr.Average‘s spacers.

*I use the boards under cloth, but the principal applies equally well to ‘finished’ boards(?)

Participant

I never glue trees or building to terrain boards. I always base them separately

Using the rigid insulation foam for tiles allows me to pin my terrain

Yes and yes. I put very thin nails under most trees to pin them in the boards. Some other trees on bases, and the houses and fields, are also placed on the boards where needed for each game.

can you show me (with pictures) how to store your tiles?

I just need a wall. 😉 😉 😉

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Keymaster

I never glue trees or building to terrain boards. I always base them separately – then you can reposition them or swap out pieces to gain a great deal of more variety out of a board.

This.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.